Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BBC Red Button

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

BBC Red Button

Old 19-04-2012, 05:25   #106
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: BBC Red Button

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
I believe it's because then it's classed as a 'proper' channel and requires seperate OFCOM approval
Thanks Ben for a very concise answer.
Old 19-04-2012, 09:10   #107
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Maybe because TiVo uses full EPG metadata for channels whereas the V boxes can have basic info
Ben is that a need or a want ?
Old 21-04-2012, 14:50   #108
Gus
Inactive

Services: VIP50, Tivo
Gus is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone know what ( if any ) the plans are for Snooker coverage on the BBC Red Button on Tivo ?

Day 1, and no chance to see the "other" match, ie the one that BBC have chosen not to show. I'm assuming this is available on V+ BBC Red Button - anyone confirm ?

That's a year now I've had this Tivo box, and I remember complaining about this at last years Snooker World Championship.
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 14:53   #109
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
Anyone know what ( if any ) the plans are for Snooker coverage on the BBC Red Button on Tivo ?

Day 1, and no chance to see the "other" match, ie the one that BBC have chosen not to show. I'm assuming this is available on V+ BBC Red Button - anyone confirm ?

That's a year now I've had this Tivo box, and I remember complaining about this at last years Snooker World Championship.
Red button snooker coverage is not available presently on the Tivo box.
Old 21-04-2012, 15:49   #110
zappa100
Inactive

zappa100 is an unknown quantity at this point

i am missing the programme information i used to get when pressing the red button while listening to radio stations (mainly BBC 3/6) on the V+.
Especially the "now playing" box
zappa100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 20:09   #111
Gus
Inactive

Thank God for Eurosport.

I had assumed that when we got the Red Button functionality recently, we would get the same Red Button features that Freeview and cable V+ punters get. Why don't we ?

A £20 freeview box can do it, why can the state of the art Tivo box not, a full year after it has been rolled out ?
Old 21-04-2012, 20:12   #112
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Thank God for Eurosport.

I had assumed that when we got the Red Button functionality recently, we would get the same Red Button features that Freeview and cable V+ punters get. Why don't we ?

A £20 freeview box can do it, why can the state of the art Tivo box not, a full year after it has been rolled out ?
One thing to remind you is its the BBC who are at fault for not putting it on the Tivo Sports app.
Old 21-04-2012, 20:27   #113
Gus
Inactive

Why does it need to be "on an app" ?

Why can't Tivo just do what the V+ box does ? ie when you press the Red button you get the multi screen option and press the number that you want ?

The info must be able to be got down the cable, nothing changed physically when they replaced my V+ with a Tivo. So it just needs whatever decoding exists in the V+ to be replicated in the Tivo.

I'm still staggered that Virgin released the Tivo box without this working - a step backwards that every Freeview and old style cable box can do, yet the Tivo can't.
Ridiculous
Old 21-04-2012, 20:31   #114
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

Why can't Tivo just do what the V+ box does ? ie when you press the Red button you get the multi screen option and press the number that you want ?
That is also 'an app', just using the different firmware language that is in the V boxes

Quote:
I'm still staggered that Virgin released the Tivo box without this working - a step backwards that every Freeview and old style cable box can do, yet the Tivo can't.
Ridiculous
It does work - as the Sky Sports interactive options show.

It's the BBC that haven't added into the app they have written for TiVo
Old 21-04-2012, 20:44   #115
kop32
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q Silver, 2 x mini boxes,VM 150mb broadband and VM phone with anytime calls.
kop32 has reached the bronze age
kop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
One thing to remind you is its the BBC who are at fault for not putting it on the Tivo Sports app.
Den

For pity's sake "Its Sky's fault for not....",
"It's the BBC's fault for not.....",the one common denominator here is Virgin Media and their apparent lack of ambition/funds/technology or what ever for not supplying their customers with products that really deliver and these customers deserve,perhaps before accusing every other broadcasting company people on here should look a bit closer to home and start demanding the things TiVo is obviously lacking from their supplier,ie Virgin Media,sorry to sound negative but it really needs addressing.
kop32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 20:58   #116
Gus
Inactive

Quote:
It's the BBC that haven't added into the app they have written for TiVo
Sorry Ben, but my contract is with Virgin, not BBC or any sub-suppliers, so I expect Virgin to provide me with a service that supplies all the functionality expected in this day and age. How they get that functionality working is up to them.

I seriously would not have gone for a Tivo if I had known that the Red Button problems would not be working 1 year down the line. The actual Tivo "search" functions, Apps and Thumbs Up/Down stuff I never really use. Wish I'd just stuck with a V+ box.

So Olympics looks like it will be covered thankfully. What about Wimbledon, will I be able to choose which match I watch like I've been able to do for the past few years with a V+ box ? I'm now thinking probably not..............
Old 21-04-2012, 21:22   #117
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
How they get that functionality working is up to them.
It's up to both. Virgin Media supply the platform and technology and the BBC supply the content and for the Red Button services how that content will be accessed.

Exactly the same as it is on the V Boxes.

The BBC interactive services on TiVo are written by the BBC themselves, using the platform Virgin have provided. What the interactive services do or do not do at this stage are down to what the BBC have written.
Old 21-04-2012, 21:43   #118
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Quote:

The info must be able to be got down the cable, nothing changed physically when they replaced my V+ with a Tivo. So it just needs whatever decoding exists in the V+ to be replicated in the Tivo.

Ridiculous
Exactly, surely the beeb could just add a stream to the current BBC sport app which is currently only been used for F1
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 21:44   #119
Gus
Inactive

Behind the scenes, then technically, yes I agree, that is the divison of who does what.

But as I said, it's VM who are selling the package.

It's a bit like you buy a BMW car. Now they don't make all the parts themselves, they'll buy in some of the parts from suppliers ( say Brembo for brakes for example ). If the brakes on your car don't work properly, who do you complain to and expect to get it fixed, BMW or Brembo - BMW of course? Would you be happy if BMW said, "Oh that Brembo's fault, they haven't engineered the brakes properly" ?

I don't mean it's a VM fault technically, but VM as a service provider are not providing what is required compared with all the competition ( including their own V and V+ offerings ).

Also, there is no mention in all the glossy Tivo adverts about lack of Red Button functionality, it's all about how this is the best TV service you can get on the market today.
Old 21-04-2012, 21:54   #120
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
It's a bit like you buy a BMW car. Now they don't make all the parts themselves, they'll buy in some of the parts from suppliers ( say Brembo for brakes for example ). If the brakes on your car don't work properly, who do you complain to and expect to get it fixed, BMW or Brembo - BMW of course? Would you be happy if BMW said, "Oh that Brembo's fault, they haven't engineered the brakes properly" ?
Not the same at all

---------- Post added at 21:54 ---------- Previous post was at 21:52 ----------

Quote:
Also, there is no mention in all the glossy Tivo adverts about lack of Red Button functionality, it's all about how this is the best TV service you can get on the market today.
The TV adverts don't mention lots of things, they are there to promote the things the box can do

The web pages for TiVo however say http://my.virginmedia.com/discover/t...ch-browse.html

You can also catch up with BBC programmes on BBC iPlayer, which you can access by selecting a BBC channel and pressing the red button*.
*Red button services coming soon.