Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BBC Red Button

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

BBC Red Button

Old 11-06-2012, 15:12   #196
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Re: BBC Red Button

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
I highly doubt it. What we're getting on TiVo is the next generation red button services forth new internet-connected devices. The old red button on the V+, Sky and Freeview will eventually become a relic of the past like Teletext.
Whats wrong with Teletext

---------- Post added at 15:12 ---------- Previous post was at 15:07 ----------

Quote:
I highly doubt it. What we're getting on TiVo is the next generation red button services forth new internet-connected devices. The old red button on the V+, Sky and Freeview will eventually become a relic of the past like Teletext.
I have no problem with what they are trying to do with the Red button,
I have problems with the time it is taking & the spin put on the announcements about it.
Old 11-06-2012, 15:15   #197
toby53
Inactive

toby53 is on a distinguished roadtoby53 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The current Red button on TIVO & direct from BBC channels carry a text service for news, business etc, this is the type of service that we want for sports on the RB. V+ has this service at the moment and provides news/info on a wide range of sports why can't we have this on Tivo
toby53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 15:28   #198
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby53 View Post
The current Red button on TIVO & direct from BBC channels carry a text service for news, business etc, this is the type of service that we want for sports on the RB. V+ has this service at the moment and provides news/info on a wide range of sports why can't we have this on Tivo
Exactly as where are the text reports and group standings/fixture lists and where are all the other sports and information about them too.
Old 11-06-2012, 16:37   #199
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Exactly as where are the text reports and group standings/fixture lists and where are all the other sports and information about them too.
This worrying I SO agree
Old 11-06-2012, 16:41   #200
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

I like the red button- I'd forgotten the joy of radio commentary in time with live pictures, I had no chance of watching the Canadian grand Prix so caught up with it quite well using the video clips and I've also been enjoying the f1 stuff during the live races like team radio. I haven't yet seen much of the live stuff in hd despite the recent announcement, so I'm hoping that'll come because it can be a bit jarring when you're switching from live hd pictures, but for me this is a clear work in progress and so far so good.
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 17:14   #201
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Have you ever tried texting on you telly
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 22:27   #202
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Nothing, but it's 1970s technology and modern tech is capable of so much more.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:03   #203
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
True but lets hope that some of it arrives quicker then the seemingly snails pace that is prevalent at the moment.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:06   #204
toby53
Inactive

Just a query do Sky carry the BBC red button, do they get the same service? Also do Sky cary anything like the text service availiable on V+ box and if they do is it across all of their hardware platforms?
thanks
Old 12-06-2012, 08:03   #205
Telly_
Permanently Banned

Telly_ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby53 View Post
Just a query do Sky carry the BBC red button, do they get the same service? Also do Sky cary anything like the text service availiable on V+ box and if they do is it across all of their hardware platforms?
thanks
Yes Sky carry the BBC red button and yes its the same service, its availible on all boxes even a 10 year old Sky box. As for text I never use it so no idea but to test I just pressed text on my Sky control on BBC1 but it went to the red button service.

I'm not even sure it Ceefax/Teletext are even still used lol, people tend to use their phone/tablets/PC's for the info they once got of Teletext these days these days.
Telly_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:00   #206
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
True but lets hope that some of it arrives quicker then the seemingly snails pace that is prevalent at the moment.

Again so true - worrying

---------- Post added at 09:00 ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 ----------

Quote:
If only we got it Seems at the moment to be the worst of both worlds.Still "its coming", or so the great & the good would have us believe. Till then there's always Freeview to take up the slack
Old 12-06-2012, 10:17   #207
toby53
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly Bear View Post
Yes Sky carry the BBC red button and yes its the same service, its availible on all boxes even a 10 year old Sky box. As for text I never use it so no idea but to test I just pressed text on my Sky control on BBC1 but it went to the red button service.

I'm not even sure it Ceefax/Teletext are even still used lol, people tend to use their phone/tablets/PC's for the info they once got of Teletext these days these days.
VM's text service on the RB is not the same as the old Ceefax/Telefax service ( so far as I know), VM controls also have a text button but it does not work.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:03   #208
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly Bear View Post
Yes Sky carry the BBC red button and yes its the same service, its availible on all boxes even a 10 year old Sky box.
That's cause the software that runs Sky's boxes is 10 years old so the sevices originally still work

For TiVo, it's a complete break from the existing platform so the BBC have had to start from scratch - but as it's got a net connection have decided to base it on their 'Connected TV' version
Old 12-06-2012, 11:12   #209
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
That's cause the software that runs Sky's boxes is 10 years old so the sevices originally still work

For TiVo, it's a complete break from the existing platform so the BBC have had to start from scratch - but as it's got a net connection have decided to base it on their 'Connected TV' version
Thats all well and fine Ben but what people want is the same depth and information of services that many customers had on their old boxes and and presently all we have is two sports and plenty of video clips on there and not much else.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:16   #210
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

I'm not arguing against that - but end of the day, what content is available is the BBC's choice, not Virgin's