Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin media email changes to g-mails look

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin's file mirrors down?

Old 14-04-2014, 22:53   #1
cook1984
Inactive

cook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud of
Virgin's file mirrors down?

I noticed that Virgin's site mirrors have been down for a few days, with only a mis-spelt message and no explanation: http://mirrors.virginmedia.com/

Ignoring the worrying illiteracy of VM's network staff for a moment, does this mean that the classic speed test files they try to fob you off with whenever you complain about a slow connection are no longer available?

I was using them to monitor an on-going over-utilization problem in my area.

---------- Post added at 22:53 ---------- Previous post was at 22:41 ----------

I noticed that the link on their own site is down too: http://www.virginmedia.com/testmyspeed/manual.php

It's quite annoying as I was able to reliably saturate my connection indefinitely with that site, and it ruled out external network bandwidth issues.
cook1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-04-2014, 23:02   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Virgin's file mirrors down?

Hmm, don't think that second link and page should really still be around, I'll flag it tomorrow to get removed
Old 14-04-2014, 23:08   #3
cook1984
Inactive

cook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud of

Can you comment on the entire mirror's site going down, or the lack of basic spelling ability or spell checking?
Old 14-04-2014, 23:11   #4
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

I'll flag that too, although it might be that they have been taken down for good. I'll see what I can find out
Old 15-04-2014, 09:25   #5
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by cook1984 View Post
Can you comment on the entire mirror's site going down, or the lack of basic spelling ability or spell checking?
Only on condition you comment on why the apostrophe in your post is in the wrong place

Being a grammar / spelling pedant is tough.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 09:38   #6
Pauls9
Inactive

Services: VM TVM HD, BBL, phone; BT phone; Freeview.
Pauls9 has reached the bronze age
Pauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze age

I often wonder how people who can't spell or punctuate can create reliable complex software.
Pauls9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 10:12   #7
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauls9 View Post
I often wonder how people who can't spell or punctuate can create reliable complex software.
Different rules.. I work for a Uni and I know a *lot* of professors and doctors who are incredibly intelligent and excellent in their chosen field but have little or no skill outside that field. They just become so focused on the one area that they don't bother with anything outside it.

Admittedly they can spell, and usually form grammatically correct sentences, which is something I don't necessarily do. Having said that, when I am communicating with someone in a work capacity, I do my utmost to ensure I do spell words correctly and use correct grammar. To do otherwise makes me look unprofessional. With personal communications, such as posting on forums or Facebook, I am a little more relaxed.

On the flip side, I deal with students every day and a lot know their stuff from a technical point of view and have absolutely abysmal spelling, which makes me wonder what some schools teach.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 13:53   #8
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Reply from VM here about the Mirrors http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...2270533#M53745
Old 15-04-2014, 16:24   #9
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauls9 View Post
Spelling, punctuation and grammar are very different rules and mindsets to programming. I know quite a few, very talented dyslexic programmers.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 17:32   #10
cook1984
Inactive

How strange to take it down while deciding what to do. I was using it the moment they took it offline.
Old 15-04-2014, 22:13   #11
cook1984
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Only on condition you comment on why the apostrophe in your post is in the wrong place

Being a grammar / spelling pedant is tough.
It is in the correct place. I meant the web site of the mirror, which is itself an FTP server somewhere. Somewhat awkward wording, I'll admit.
Old 15-04-2014, 22:18   #12
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Then it should have been 'has' (the singular), rather than 'have' (the plural), surely?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 08:45   #13
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
How strange to take it down while deciding what to do
that means it won't be coming back. Nobody takes down a server while they decide what to do and then bring it back online. You leave it online while you conduct the assessment and then take it offline if you decide to. Muppets
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 17:38   #14
cook1984
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Then it should have been 'has' (the singular), rather than 'have' (the plural), surely?
What are you on about?

---------- Post added at 17:38 ---------- Previous post was at 17:37 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
that means it won't be coming back. Nobody takes down a server while they decide what to do and then bring it back online. You leave it online while you conduct the assessment and then take it offline if you decide to. Muppets
Looks like it. I worry that they objected to me testing my connection with it, but I was trying to save them external bandwidth and rule out external factors.
Old 16-04-2014, 17:53   #15
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
What are you on about?

---------- Post added at 17:38 ---------- Previous post was at 17:37 ----------

Looks like it. I worry that they objected to me testing my connection with it, but I was trying to save them external bandwidth and rule out external factors.
I guess the best way to do that now is using the internally hosted VM speedtest.net servers:
Code:
Baguley
Basildon
Birmingham
Brentford
Bristol
Bromley
Croydon
Edinburgh
Glasgow
Leicester
London