Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Homeplug is a great solution!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Homeplug is a great solution!

Old 15-06-2007, 17:17   #1
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age
Homeplug is a great solution!

Bought a zyxel home plug kit yesterday (the 85mbit/s version) so far i'm very impressed with it.

I get great signal on my wi-fi upstairs on my desktop but I was getting a about 1 - 2% packetloss and jitter on the wi-fi which was causing most online FPS games to be unplayable, as it would cause me to freeze for a moment (very problematic if trying to fly a helicopter on BF2)

The home plugs sync at 80mbit/s which i thought was reasonable considering my pc is on a 5meter extension cable and the one at the other end is on a 3way extension with the router and dect phone.

Was just playing half-life2 death match on a UK server and getting 15ms ping , (didn't help the fact i'm pretty awful at the game tho )

ping time to the router over the home plugs is usually between 2 - 4 ms so its not as good as wired but its a lot easier than running cat5 everywhere

my wi-fi did ping slightly faster usually apart from when some packets went awol or hit 2000ms (which i guess was what caused FPS games to run badly over the wi-fi)

Also while i was at it I ran cat5 in to my xbox360 and mac mini (which are in the same room as the pc) put those on a switch and then plugged the home plug adaptor into the switch, it works great and the transfers between the pc and the Mac are now a lot faster (100mbit wired since they are on the same switch vs the 54g wireless link they had before)

Also since i pulled my wi-fi card out my pc i've not yet had a BSOD wander if it was the vista drivers for the wi-fi card causing them.

Only problem I had is the zyxel utility was a bit of a pain to get to run on vista, the installer won't install it you have to copy the utility from the disc/download as its just stored in a folder, But once i'd done that and ran the utility as administrator i got that working

Its nice to have a piece of kit that you just plug in and it works for once though.

Also solves the problem of setting up WPA under linux when I reinstall ubuntu later

So if your a gamer, or find otherwise wi-fi won't quite cut it, home plug appears to be a good solution, a tad expensive but hopefully as the technology matures they will come down in price.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-06-2007, 17:29   #2
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
Re: Homeplug is a great solution!

Thanx for the review
punky is offline   Reply With Quote