Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Large file timeouts when uploading to Server

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Large file timeouts when uploading to Server

Old 18-03-2016, 20:34   #1
1Yanthon2
Inactive

1Yanthon2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Large file timeouts when uploading to Server

Hi Does anyone have any suggestions as to why my attempts to upload files of greater than 100 MBs to a server invariably end with an 'unknown error' message. The Server's data managers are fairly sure that it is a problem at my end.
I'm not a technical person.

I've tried transferring using FileZilla to make the transfer by FTP but the setup wizard indicates that there is a timeout problem with either router (So-called Superhub) or Firewall McAfee. I'm exasperated as VM's technical support were were worse than useless.

Hoping somebody can come up with a solution
1Yanthon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-03-2016, 10:38   #2
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: Large file timeouts when uploading to Server

Break the file up into RAR files to reassemble later?
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 13:00   #3
1Yanthon2
Inactive

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure what that involves but I'd really like to just keep the transfer as simple as possible.

My Server people have suggested that I need to:
(1) update the firmware on the router
(2) Check that the 'connection timeout' on the router is set to maximum
(3) See whether the router is defaulting to active or passive sessions for FTP; I'm not sure which is desirable?
I looked at the router online and went into advanced settings but was nervous about making changes as I wasn't sure what the consequences of choosing some of the options would be. The extent of the options seemed quite limited.
I don't know if I can face ringing Virgin Media as they don't seem to want to take any responsibility, so I'm really hoping that somebody out there can point me in in the right direction. I'm not knowledgeable in these areas but I am willing to learn. I'm just not familiar with all this jargon at the moment.
Old 21-03-2016, 15:41   #4
Taf
cf.mega poster

Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

WINRAR breaks files up into manageable pieces which can easily be reformed. Plus the use of PAR files mean they have a lot of protection against partial file damage. The more PAR files you produce, the more protection.

http://www.newsrover.com/support_rar.htm
Old 21-03-2016, 16:05   #5
1Yanthon2
Inactive

Many Thanks. I'll have a look into that.
Old 21-03-2016, 19:44   #6
1Yanthon2
Inactive

I have managed to use WinRAR to create multiple swf files which I have put on the server. The next problem is how to extract them. According to WinRAR the part 1 (.exe) file is supposed to be the self-extracting file. When I double click it, it simply downloads itself back to my computer. This whole thing is driving me insane. No doubt there is a simple solution; I just wish it was obvious.
Old 21-03-2016, 20:02   #7
Taf
cf.mega poster

SWF files? It should produce files with suffixes.... "part01.rar" "part02.rar" etc. If you make PAR files you will get one small file with suffix "par2" which is used as the trigger to use the PAR files "vol001+01.par" "vol001+02.par" "vol003+03.par" etc. etc.

You need to DL all parts of the RAR and PAR files to a HD location and unzip there.
Old 21-03-2016, 20:23   #8
1Yanthon2
Inactive

WinRAR broke the file into 8 parts. filename.part1.exe, filename.part2.rar...filename.part8.rar These are on the server. I can't find anything about PAR files (my ignorance I'm afraid). The files are needed on the server. So If I download to a HD I'm back to square 1. A big file on my HD that I would like to see on the server. I do appreciate your help. I've just got so many acronyms in my brain that I'm losing the will to live.
Old 22-03-2016, 09:02   #9
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Do you have permission to execute on the server?

See if unrar is installed.

Quote:
Task: Extract rar (unpack) File

To extract file.rar file into the current directory, enter:
$ unrar e file.rar
More info here
Old 22-03-2016, 10:05   #10
Taf
cf.mega poster

You need to use the Freeware Quickpar program.

http://www.quickpar.org.uk/

Then you can follow their easy instructions. It may all seem complicated, but it soon clicks in your mind.

http://www.quickpar.org.uk/CreatingPAR2Files.htm

In case I was to get file corruption on my backup DVDs, I use this method all the time.