Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Problems with wired Linksys router/Telewest/setup

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Problems with wired Linksys router/Telewest/setup

Old 26-10-2006, 14:26   #1
1stpoofinspace
Inactive

1stpoofinspace is an unknown quantity at this point
Problems with wired Linksys router/Telewest/setup

I recently bought a router to share a Telewest internet connection with my two housemates. I have followed the instructions for setting up the router, and configuring the PCs and router (using the DHCP/automatically detect settings option), but none of the PCs detect the Internet connection.

On my housemate's laptop, which used the Telewest connection just fine, I have looked under the Network setting option...there seem to be three internet connections there, but I have no idea which is the Telewest one. I have asked her how she connected, but she has had the connection a while, and doesn't remember (she knows less about this sort of thing than I do).

Am I missing something? How hard can it be to connect PCs to a perfectly good internet connection via a router?

Please help!
1stpoofinspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-10-2006, 15:05   #2
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star
Re: Problems with wired Linksys router/Telewest/setup

to CF

A few questions-
What model is the router
What OS are the PC's running
Are they connecting wired or wirelessly to the router
Was the laptop previously using a USB connection or was it ethernet
Please confirm whether this is using a Cable Modem or the STB

Should be enough to start.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2006, 15:14   #3
1stpoofinspace
Inactive

1stpoofinspace is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply.

The router is a BEFSR41 cable/DSL router. The laptop is running on Windows XP; my PC uses (eek) Millennium. The connections are wired. The laptop was previously connected to the modem via ethernet port/cable. Oh, and what's STB?
1stpoofinspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2006, 15:24   #4
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

It 'should' work out of the box!
Try plugging the laptop into the router and browsing to
The password will be either linksys or admin. This is the router user interface and if you can get there you have a connection to the router.In the router config pages you should be able to see if the router has a valid Telewest IP address.
The other thing to check - have you power cycled the modem since plugging in the router?
You could also confirm that the ethernet cable from router to modem is plugged into the WAN port on the router.

HTH
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote