Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo Picture Quality

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TiVo Picture Quality

Old 27-05-2011, 16:38   #301
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
Re: TiVo Picture Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgf View Post
When you are choosing from a few boxes to attach to your TV I don't think other things really matter too much because your choice won't change anything significant going on in the world.
Totally agree with you

Quote:
Assuming all else is well in your life it is a choice you can make without impacting too much on world events. If my life were a mess, I think picture quality would be the last thing I would be bothered about. I think I have a pretty sound handle on these things.
Not at the moment, As me and my partner have a new baby and a day after he came out of the hospital he was back in

Quote:
IMHO picture quality is paramount when making a choice of TV and ancillary equipment, all else being well. If this weren't the case, and others didn't agree, then HD would be dead in the water. I take it you don't have HD?
Yes I do have HD

Sorry for the way the post was worded but I have had a lot on my mind over the last few months
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-05-2011, 16:42   #302
DaBoz
Inactive

DaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
Sorry for the way the post was worded but I have had a lot on my mind over the last few months
Don't we all. Hope babby comes back out of hospital pronto! Chin up.
DaBoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 16:44   #303
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBoz View Post
Don't we all. Hope babby comes back out of hospital pronto! Chin up.
He is only 4 days old and he came out today but has to go back in sunday for more blood tests, Then we will see what happens
Old 27-05-2011, 16:49   #304
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
He is only 4 days old and he came out today but has to go back in sunday for more blood tests, Then we will see what happens
Hope everything goes well pal.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 17:49   #305
ntl.wotcha
Inactive

ntl.wotcha is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBoz View Post
Looking at the text on 999 I can see the picture is flickering at 720p, but stable at 1080i

So despite the interlacing problem described, the effect of the interlacing is to stabilise the picture at 1080i
Yep, can confirm the same on my TV.

However on my TV I seem to get the reverse of what Lew posted. i.e. on 1080i the text is pretty clear but if I set the output to 576i and let the TV do the work it looks really bad.
ntl.wotcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 17:55   #306
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Quote:
Sorry to hear that hope all goes well mate,having children myself i can sense what you are going through and wish you all the best.
Old 27-05-2011, 18:10   #307
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntl.wotcha View Post
Yep, can confirm the same on my TV.

However on my TV I seem to get the reverse of what Lew posted. i.e. on 1080i the text is pretty clear but if I set the output to 576i and let the TV do the work it looks really bad.
I seem to recall a similar thing with the "blurry menus" problem on the V+ box when set to 1080. Some people noticed the problem and others didn't, so it looks like it may only affect certain makes/models of TV.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 20:44   #308
JethroUK

Services: Philips 42" +XLTV +10 meg B.B. +Lrg Phone + caller ID +Tivo £52 +Xbox 360 60 gig +200w Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
I seem to recall a similar thing with the "blurry menus" problem on the V+ box when set to 1080. Some people noticed the problem and others didn't, so it looks like it may only affect certain makes/models of TV.
I also remember that albeit i thought it was 720p that people were moaning about
Old 27-05-2011, 21:18   #309
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

No, it was definitely 1080i that was affected, 720p was fine.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=985668
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 13:26   #310
scotmac
Inactive

Services: XL Tv 2 x V6 1 TB TiVo 200 Broadband XL phone
scotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Just seen the post mate ,keep your chin up and look after your good lady.Hope your son gets better soon.
scotmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 13:45   #311
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I hope it all goes well. It's always a concern when they're so tiny. At least he's in the right place. Chin up.
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 13:51   #312
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

devilincarnate,I hope the baby is ok mate.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 14:34   #313
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

Thanks for the support
Old 28-05-2011, 18:27   #314
sixfoottwo
Inactive

sixfoottwo is on a distinguished roadsixfoottwo is on a distinguished road

Just bought a panny P42g30. I can't believe how much better the HD (1080i) is than the 37PX70. And this while its being run in. SD definitely better on it as well.
sixfoottwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 17:47   #315
ntl.wotcha
Inactive

ntl.wotcha is an unknown quantity at this point

Noticed something funny yesterday while on Cbeebies after it stopped broadcasting. If I flick onto the channel or in and out of the tivo menu then *sometimes* the text will show up clearly for a short time and then blur out and then return with the text all funny again.

If I can figure out a repeatable process I'll post it. Shame I can't record it somehow... not bright enough to get a video clip of it.
ntl.wotcha is offline   Reply With Quote