Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo Picture Quality

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TiVo Picture Quality

Old 08-05-2011, 19:46   #211
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: TiVo Picture Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgf View Post
SD on Sky is terrible - VM is better, even TiVo! VM swings it by doing better upscaling on their V+ than Sky does with its HD boxes.

As regards the TV, people like myself have several HD sources connected to one hdmi input on the TV. I have tweaked and configured my plasma panel to eliminate digital trickery and all the other sources look great with SD (Blu-Ray, WM V+, Apple TV, French TNT-SAT, Freeview). TiVo looks poor. Hence there is a problem if a TV has to be tweaked specifically for one device and digital processing introduced (because that's the only way you can go if you have it all switched off for other devices).

---------- Post added at 19:33 ---------- Previous post was at 19:30 ----------

I can understand this, but I like programmes on channels like BBC 3 and 4, or BBC 2, or Yesterday, or Dave. I'd be cutting off my nose to spite my face if I only watched HD. Maybe when the whole lot is HD I might move to Sky HD if the price is right and they remove the silly HD tax.
I don't think with Sky and VM its so much just scaling as I find BBC channels and others acceptable in SD although I don't really watch them much , but the bit rates on some channels are awful and the best scaling in the world will struggle.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2011, 19:46   #212
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBoz View Post
Just watching BGT on catchup (itv player)... OMG is this normal quality from on demand (not HD)? Really pixelated with fast movement, soft and fuzzy quality. Certainly worse than the live image. Is this normal?
Not too sure of the ITV NET PLAYER, But if it is you would have been better watching it live
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 22:32   #213
Terry
Inactive

Terry is an unknown quantity at this point

Just got my Tivo on Friday and it is awful. On a HD channel like the one the engineer set it up in everything looks a bit green and pixelation not quite as obvious at first so I thought it was maybe just TV settings. Later on settled down to enjoy an evenings viewing and was horrified to see the PQ on standard channels. Worse than we got on pirate videos way back in the eighties. Having had the excellent V+ box I am used to good PQ and feel quite cheated with this bundle of junk. Lots of bells and whistles that work but primary function is a big fail. Currently I am using it by connecting via scart to my upscaling DVD recorder to HDMI 2. Far superior picture to straight HDMI. Will be phoning then tomorrow to come take it away and bring back the old Pace box I returned. Even it had far superior picture quality
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 22:37   #214
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

You wont get a pace box, probably a silver samsung or a vhd without the HD activated
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 22:51   #215
HandsOfBlue
Inactive

Services: VIP50 TIVO
HandsOfBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

It sounds like there is a lot of variation in the quality of the TiVo boxes. Ours looks great on HD and is perfectly acceptable in SD. Some SD channels are softer than others, but none of it is unwatchable. Even Eurosport's World Superbikes, that another poster was complaining about being too blurry, was ok.

I'd certainly suggest that instead of rejecting the platform, people try to get another box and see if that fixes their problem.
HandsOfBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 22:57   #216
drouthy
Inactive

drouthy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgf View Post
It is so nice not to be the lone voice condemning TiVo SD picture quality. It really made me rethink the whole VM package.

I am now enjoying Freeview HD and loving it. SD and HD picture quality both better than TiVo and no monthly charge! If you are finding you are mostly watching channels which are on Freeview think on! I bought a 3View box which can access iPlayer and is having features added all the time. It has 2 tuners built in and does series links very well.
I exercised my right to return the Tivo after 7 days. The SD picture quality was dreadful and the HD was not as good as on the SA box I'd had for 4 and a half years. No amount of fiddling with either the TV settings or the Tivo settings made much difference. I requested a return to V+ and a Samsung was installed. The difference was immediately noticable, particularly on SD but ALSO on HD!

A lot of people appear to have no complaints and some are saying that Tivo picture quality is better than the SA and the Samsung boxes. However, as I discovered, there are more than a few who are having problems with Tivo's picture quality.

Something that surprised me though, was that when I said I wanted to return the Tivo due to poor picture quality no one asked for further information or clarification. No call from customer services, or an offer to send a tech...
drouthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 23:11   #217
OLDGOLD
cf.addict

OLDGOLD will become famous soon enoughOLDGOLD will become famous soon enoughOLDGOLD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBoz View Post
Just watching BGT on catchup (itv player)... OMG is this normal quality from on demand (not HD)? Really pixelated with fast movement, soft and fuzzy quality. Certainly worse than the live image. Is this normal?
I got this quite a bit with SD On Demand on the SA V+ and not just with ITV Player. So not sure that it is just a TiVo problem.
OLDGOLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 23:52   #218
DaBoz
Inactive

DaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
Not too sure of the ITV NET PLAYER, But if it is you would have been better watching it live
It would be better not watching it at all, what a load of crap that program is. I just set it up for the relatives and went out!

---------- Post added at 23:52 ---------- Previous post was at 23:49 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsOfBlue View Post
It sounds like there is a lot of variation in the quality of the TiVo boxes. Ours looks great on HD and is perfectly acceptable in SD. Some SD channels are softer than others, but none of it is unwatchable. Even Eurosport's World Superbikes, that another poster was complaining about being too blurry, was ok.

I'd certainly suggest that instead of rejecting the platform, people try to get another box and see if that fixes their problem.
Good point, wonder if VM would give that a go for free.

Two by two eh? Ah, the good ol days of tv.
DaBoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:00   #219
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Just got my Tivo on Friday and it is awful. On a HD channel like the one the engineer set it up in everything looks a bit green and pixelation not quite as obvious at first so I thought it was maybe just TV settings. Later on settled down to enjoy an evenings viewing and was horrified to see the PQ on standard channels. Worse than we got on pirate videos way back in the eighties. Having had the excellent V+ box I am used to good PQ and feel quite cheated with this bundle of junk. Lots of bells and whistles that work but primary function is a big fail. Currently I am using it by connecting via scart to my upscaling DVD recorder to HDMI 2. Far superior picture to straight HDMI. Will be phoning then tomorrow to come take it away and bring back the old Pace box I returned. Even it had far superior picture quality
Sounds like a faulty box/install or set-up. Call faults and get a swap out if it's the box.
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:18   #220
clayts
Inactive

Services: Tivo; XL TV; L Broadband; M Phone
clayts has a spectacular aura about themclayts has a spectacular aura about themclayts has a spectacular aura about themclayts has a spectacular aura about them

My engineer actually tweaked the signal levels before installing the box as he said it needed to be nudged down a bit as Tivo's are more sensitive than V+ (his words not mine) , and the picture from day one in both SD and HD has been perfect - no worse and HD is possibly is slightly better than the old SA V+. I wonder whether picture quality is linked to signal strength ?

I use a Samsung 32 inch 450 TV and didn't need to tweak anything at all - settings at auto (and the Tivo advises me 720p is the best signal for my TV).

ITVPlayer and BBC iPlayer both look fine and dandy here.

clayts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 13:21   #221
DaBoz
Inactive

DaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDGOLD View Post
I got this quite a bit with SD On Demand on the SA V+ and not just with ITV Player. So not sure that it is just a TiVo problem.
I don't recall watching anything this bad. Maybe it was a one off, I'll try some other samples before Friday (which is Judgment Day for TiVo in my house).
DaBoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 14:26   #222
cupcakes aka dd
cf.geek

Services: Almost the lot
cupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud of

I've been watching BBC News 601 on the V+ moved upstairs and that looks awful at the moment.
cupcakes aka dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 16:57   #223
mot12
cf.addict

Services: V.I.P
mot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enough

A heads up , for anyone who has a samsung c650 and possibly other sammy tv's with the tivo. The new firmware for the sammy 3008.3 seems to make the change from 720 stuff to 1080i faster and smoother than before. If you have your tivo output set for 720 for sd and 1080i for hd.
mot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 17:33   #224
HandsOfBlue
Inactive

Services: VIP50 TIVO
HandsOfBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot12 View Post
A heads up , for anyone who has a samsung c650 and possibly other sammy tv's with the tivo. The new firmware for the sammy 3008.3 seems to make the change from 720 stuff to 1080i faster and smoother than before. If you have your tivo output set for 720 for sd and 1080i for hd.
Where are you seeing 3008? On their UK support site I only see 3000 and 3001.
HandsOfBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 17:38   #225
mot12
cf.addict

Services: V.I.P
mot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsOfBlue View Post
Where are you seeing 3008? On their UK support site I only see 3000 and 3001.
Just put samsung into google , go to samsung UK site. Then go to all lcd televisions , then click on your model i.e 46c650 then click on support for that tv then on firmware , an you will see 3008. PHEWW
mot12 is offline   Reply With Quote