Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo Picture Quality

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TiVo Picture Quality

Old 03-05-2011, 20:26   #181
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: TiVo Picture Quality

Plug a v+ in out of the box put it to 1080i magic... thats what i expect form tivo
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2011, 20:31   #182
scgf
Inactive

Services: Freeview HD, TNTSat (France), Apple TV
scgf is on a distinguished roadscgf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Plug a v+ in out of the box put it to 1080i magic... thats what i expect form tivo
Exactly! Lol!
scgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:07   #183
fenman35
cf.member

fenman35 is on a distinguished roadfenman35 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Yes but then dont expect a sharp SD picture if you are asking the Tivo to stretch a 4:3 broadcast to fit 16:9. Tivo seems to default on installation to strech to picture to fit the screen
fenman35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:38   #184
clinteastman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL TV, XXL Broadband, L Phone, TiVo, V+
clinteastman has reached the bronze age
clinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinteastman View Post
What I have notice is that it handles movement a lot better, things like full screen pans it's the most prevalent and more so on HD but all movement is effected. Its a lot smoother and shows less compression artefacts.

Anyone else noticed this?
Worked out that my Samsung had managed to enable DNIe some how and that is what was affecting motion, now turned back off.
clinteastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:11   #185
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenman35 View Post
Yes but then dont expect a sharp SD picture if you are asking the Tivo to stretch a 4:3 broadcast to fit 16:9. Tivo seems to default on installation to strech to picture to fit the screen
When mine was installed the tech set it to "stretch" . Needless to say on finding that Bloomberg news was full screen I reset it to non stretch.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 15:21   #186
HandsOfBlue
Inactive

Services: VIP50 TIVO
HandsOfBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I tried my TIVO on 576i and 720 to let my Samsung TV upscale and 1080. I can't detect any quality difference of note.

It looks like the Samsung is very slightly better - when viewed from a few inches the artifacts are more pleasant. However from normal viewing distance there's no difference in the various resolutions that I can detect (and yes, my eyesight is just fine ).
HandsOfBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 18:10   #187
clinteastman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL TV, XXL Broadband, L Phone, TiVo, V+
clinteastman has reached the bronze age
clinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsOfBlue View Post
I tried my TIVO on 576i and 720 to let my Samsung TV upscale and 1080. I can't detect any quality difference of note.

It looks like the Samsung is very slightly better - when viewed from a few inches the artifacts are more pleasant. However from normal viewing distance there's no difference in the various resolutions that I can detect (and yes, my eyesight is just fine ).
My Samsung does a slightly better job of upscaling, only problem is you end up with an upscaled menu too (not native HD).
clinteastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:08   #188
Begize
Inactive

Services: XL TV (TiVo 1TB & V HD), XL Broadband (Superhub 2 in modem mode), L Telephone
Begize is a jewel in the roughBegize is a jewel in the roughBegize is a jewel in the roughBegize is a jewel in the roughBegize is a jewel in the rough

I've been able to improve things slightly by having a play with the TV settings for stuff like motion flow (turning up to high) and noise reduction (turning off).

It's definately still not as sharp as the old V+, but I think I can live with it now. It's not helping that the pic quality on things like Sky Sports seems to be particularly bad in SD at the moment anyway (verified by comparing with the V+).
Begize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 17:19   #189
Jayceef1
Inactive

Jayceef1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenman35 View Post
One factor that seems to be missed in all this is the setting for display type which is relevant for SD but not HD as all HD broadcasts seem to be 16:9.
There is a choice of 'Full' 'Panel' or 'Zoom' and only 'Panel' will give a correctly proporioned, sharp unstretched picture.

The local head engineer who fitted my Tivo was insistant that Virgin only broadcast in 720p and that any other output needs converting by the Tivo box( make of that what you wish)
That is a very good point. My engineer left it in Full mode and I put it back to panel after he left. If a lot of Tivos are left in Full mode it could explain why a lot of people are saying that SD pictures are not so good if they are subjected to stretch-o-vision.

I have a 54" Panasonic and have no problem with PQ from the Tivo.
Jayceef1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 19:00   #190
Begize
Inactive

Services: XL TV (TiVo 1TB & V HD), XL Broadband (Superhub 2 in modem mode), L Telephone
Begize is a jewel in the roughBegize is a jewel in the roughBegize is a jewel in the roughBegize is a jewel in the roughBegize is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayceef1 View Post
That is a very good point. My engineer left it in Full mode and I put it back to panel after he left. If a lot of Tivos are left in Full mode it could explain why a lot of people are saying that SD pictures are not so good if they are subjected to stretch-o-vision.
Yeah me too, first thing I changed. It only went from fuzzy stretched pictures to fuzzy ones with bars though.
Begize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 19:38   #191
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

I prefer wide mode, it worked fine on sa v+.
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 00:12   #192
DaBoz
Inactive

DaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to behold

Could it be that people who think the V+ looks same if not worse than TiVo didn't have V+ video output setup correctly? I seem to remember fiddling with the settings on V+ until the pic was right, and then it was excellent.

Also, my TV doesn't seem to upscale the TiVo 520i output very well, so I'm not convinced this is only about upscaling.

Boz
DaBoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:58   #193
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

I've got my HD Ready Toshiba set to 720p for SD and 1080i for HD. I'm finding the HD a little better than the Samsung V+, the SD perfectly watchable but a little softer than the V+. Picture size I've gone with "Panel".
I've tried other setting combinations but I'm happy with what I have. My test has been Justified; shot in HD but broadcast on the lower bitrate 5USA. Picture a little soft on the TiVo but still vastly superior to the Freeview version. (It's a real shame the show isn't premiered on 5 HD.)
Someone described the SD picture as "dire" - I don't think that's at all true unless you have a huge TV, in which case any SD will look poor. I also find that now I'm watching 90% of my TV in HD any upscaled SD looks pretty second rate.
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:53   #194
toady
cf.geek

Services: A mix of XXL and XL
toady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBoz View Post
Could it be that people who think the V+ looks same if not worse than TiVo didn't have V+ video output setup correctly? I seem to remember fiddling with the settings on V+ until the pic was right, and then it was excellent.

Also, my TV doesn't seem to upscale the TiVo 520i output very well, so I'm not convinced this is only about upscaling.

Boz
Or they had the Samsung V+ and not the superior picture quality of the SA V+
toady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:08   #195
brava210
Inactive

Services: Virgin V+,TiVo, BB-10MB Panasonic 50", AE 5.1, Pioneer VSX920 Amp, Harmony One.
brava210 is on a distinguished roadbrava210 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by toady View Post
Or they had the Samsung V+ and not the superior picture quality of the SA V+
True, if you compare TiVo to SA V+, there is probably a bigger difference.
I noticed a big difference when VM changed my SA V+ for Samsung V+, so I haven't seen a massive drop with TIVO
brava210 is offline   Reply With Quote