Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo Picture Quality

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TiVo Picture Quality

Old 29-04-2011, 13:16   #136
Adder
Inactive

Services: VM TiVo, XL TV, M Broadband
Adder is on a distinguished roadAdder is on a distinguished road
Re: TiVo Picture Quality

Also watching the Royal Wedding and the home menu just popped up randomly and then the screen went black and then the home menu loaded up slowly again. I was on the sofa and the remote far away on the table. Veeery weird?
Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-04-2011, 13:22   #137
WDLaserjetGLOVER
Inactive

WDLaserjetGLOVER is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it normal to keep getting e-mails from this forum regarding my posts?
Most strange.
WDLaserjetGLOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 15:29   #138
Perfect Choice
cf.geek

Services: Maxit TV, M phone, 200MB BB, V6 TIVO, Super Hub3
Perfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialli View Post
I did my testing with Hero the other evening which was listed as being HD, a film visually breathtaking. Looked very good on Film4 and even better on Film4HD, but the difference wasn't massive.
I then did a similar check with the football on SkySports2 and SkySports2 HD - even though I didn't think the latter's PQ was that stunning, the difference between the two was more marked than my Film4 comparison.
All subjective though, of course. I tried both 720p and 1080i settings from the Tivo: I think the latter is marginally better for HD on my set but the former gives a slightly better SD picture.
On another note, I think Rubicon on BBC4 looked sharper this week on my Freeview recording than it did on my TiVo's
I'm just about happy with HD now on Tivo, have checked several HD channels and the picture is just about the same I had with V+ I would say. It is SD which just doesn't show good enough upscaling still. Used to see BBC1 SD looking like near HD quality on V+ for example, not the case on my Tivo.
Perfect Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 15:41   #139
barney111
Inactive

barney111 is an unknown quantity at this point

The sd channels on my Tivo are significantly better than on my V+ box a great improvement,
However the clunky menus drive me nuts its like a balloon blowing up and then bursting and that bloody clock grrr!

best

barney111
barney111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 18:40   #140
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDLaserjetGLOVER View Post
I am watching The Royal Wedding on BBC1 HD.
The picture, like the event, is absolutely stunning on my Tivo/ Panasonic 50" plasma.
I have to agree - whilst Mrs Nialli was cooing over the dress I couldn't shut up about how bloody brilliant the BBC1 HD was looking this morning
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 19:03   #141
Begize
Inactive

Services: XL TV (TiVo 1TB & V HD), XL Broadband (Superhub 2 in modem mode), L Telephone
Begize is a jewel in the roughBegize is a jewel in the roughBegize is a jewel in the roughBegize is a jewel in the roughBegize is a jewel in the rough

I've got a Sony Bravia 32" and sorry, but for me the SD picture is poor compared to the SA V+ box that's been moved upstairs.

As people have said, channels like BBC1 which looked HD like when in SD, look like the Freeview equivalent now The lower bandwidth channels are on the verge of awful.

HD, to be fair, looks at least as good, if not better though.

Had a play with all the settings and I can see little difference in SD picture quality. I supposed it's a question of playing around and seeing what works best. At the moment though, slightly disapointed.
Begize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 19:21   #142
TMLeafs
cf.addict

Services: Ultimate Oomph Plus Extra Tivo (Three Total)
TMLeafs is on a distinguished roadTMLeafs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begize View Post
As people have said, channels like BBC1 which looked HD like when in SD, look like the Freeview equivalent now The lower bandwidth channels are on the verge of awful.
Same dont know who to contact is there a tivo team?
LG OLED55BX6LB, Onkyo TX-NR656 AVR, Cambridge Audio S70 L & R, Cambridge Audio SX-70 Center, Cambridge Minx Min 22 RR RL, PSB Imagine XA Atmos, S90 Subwoofer, PS3, PS4, Tivo V6, Nvidia Shield (2017), Apple TV & Logitech Harmony Companion
TMLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 20:10   #143
Harryn9000
cf.geek

Services: Virgin 500MB BB , VM V6 x2, XL tv, Xl Phone Superhub 3
Harryn9000 is an unknown quantity at this point

yes there is, you get put straight through on the fone when u ask. the tivo is very sensitity to signal levels if u have correct level u should be fine. mine was -14 at the highest level. and my pictures was terrible on every sd channel now it very good. can't fault virgin media the engineer checked the signal round the house to make sure it wasn't my end. he come next day with a splitter that increased the signal level to -7/-8 which has improved picture drastically i was made up i can watch tv without picture break up now it sorted now tho for how long nobody knows.
Harryn9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 20:50   #144
WDLaserjetGLOVER
Inactive

My impression of BBC SD is that some times it looked near HD, but more often looked poor.
Very variable, so when I analyze the Tivo SD, I am not sure whether the broadcast quality or the Tivo is to blame.
HD is fantastic.

ps. on a 50" panasonic
Old 30-04-2011, 20:53   #145
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Can i just say that i have had no difference over the SD and HD. If you get the TIVO and you do not like the PQ after a while you get used to it as you forget about the other (unless you have got the V+ to compare it to, at the time)

This is in my opinion.
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 21:13   #146
Begize
Inactive

Services: XL TV (TiVo 1TB & V HD), XL Broadband (Superhub 2 in modem mode), L Telephone
Begize is a jewel in the roughBegize is a jewel in the roughBegize is a jewel in the roughBegize is a jewel in the roughBegize is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryn9000 View Post
yes there is, you get put straight through on the fone when u ask. the tivo is very sensitity to signal levels if u have correct level u should be fine. mine was -14 at the highest level. and my pictures was terrible on every sd channel now it very good. can't fault virgin media the engineer checked the signal round the house to make sure it wasn't my end. he come next day with a splitter that increased the signal level to -7/-8 which has improved picture drastically i was made up i can watch tv without picture break up now it sorted now tho for how long nobody knows.
Interesting. The engineer removed an attenuator we had on the back of the old V+ because we're the first house in the street and the signal was too high that we kept losing channels at random. Maybe the reverse is true for us now, worth a call I suppose.

The V+ upstairs looks as good as ever so I'm betting, bearing in mind the number of people moaning, it's the TiVo upscaling to blame.
Begize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 22:37   #147
OLDGOLD
cf.addict

OLDGOLD will become famous soon enoughOLDGOLD will become famous soon enoughOLDGOLD will become famous soon enough

My Video Output settings has one for 1080p (25fps, pass-through only). Does anyone know what this means?

When I was watching British Eurosport 2 earlier tonight, I tried this setting and the info button on my TV said the resolution was 720 X 576. When I have it set on 1080i, the TV says it is 1920 x 1080.

Any ideas? I'm not great when it comes to all this upscaling malarkey!
OLDGOLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 23:12   #148
WDLaserjetGLOVER
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDGOLD View Post
My Video Output settings has one for 1080p (25fps, pass-through only). Does anyone know what this means?

When I was watching British Eurosport 2 earlier tonight, I tried this setting and the info button on my TV said the resolution was 720 X 576. When I have it set on 1080i, the TV says it is 1920 x 1080.

Any ideas? I'm not great when it comes to all this upscaling malarkey!
What TV have you got that gives you that sort of information?

Most just say 720i, 1080i etc.
Old 01-05-2011, 00:22   #149
TMLeafs
cf.addict

Services: Ultimate Oomph Plus Extra Tivo (Three Total)
TMLeafs is on a distinguished roadTMLeafs is on a distinguished road

keep reading some users can get there tivo to output 576 for SD and HD at 1080i but I cant. My onkyo is better at upscaling the SD but it means I have to change settings for HD
LG OLED55BX6LB, Onkyo TX-NR656 AVR, Cambridge Audio S70 L & R, Cambridge Audio SX-70 Center, Cambridge Minx Min 22 RR RL, PSB Imagine XA Atmos, S90 Subwoofer, PS3, PS4, Tivo V6, Nvidia Shield (2017), Apple TV & Logitech Harmony Companion
TMLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:55   #150
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begize View Post
I've got a Sony Bravia 32" and sorry, but for me the SD picture is poor compared to the SA V+ box that's been moved upstairs.

HD, to be fair, looks at least as good, if not better though.

Had a play with all the settings and I can see little difference in SD picture quality. I supposed it's a question of playing around and seeing what works best. At the moment though, slightly disapointed.
Mines a Sony Bravia 42" and the picture is great.
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote