Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Reminders on TiVo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Reminders on TiVo

Old 28-05-2011, 16:08   #76
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Reminders on TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor View Post
Live events...
Exactly.
denphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-05-2011, 17:04   #77
JethroUK

Services: Philips 42" +XLTV +10 meg B.B. +Lrg Phone + caller ID +Tivo £52 +Xbox 360 60 gig +200w Sub

Quote:
Live events...
Suppose it's fair to say you can manage to watch live TV without a Tivo - or for that matter without any PVR at all - so why should it be 'a PVR feature'? - pretty sure my TV will switch over on reminder if i was ever fussed

I think people have a psychological barrier to recording stuff unnecessarily (throw back from VCR) - but if you consider Tivo (most PVR's) record it whether you plan it or not - why not just record it

i record every single thing i intend to watch - even if i start watching about 10 minutes after it started

other problem i foresee - V+ cant record with 3rd tuner so this could be easily dedicated to reminders function - if they build reminders into Tivo it will cause even more recording variables, clashes and ultimately people saying "why didn't it turn over at right time just because of a suggestion" or "why did it miss my recording just because of a reminder" and all the arguments that 'too much choice' has given us
Old 28-05-2011, 17:08   #78
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Live events...
Yes, and...? You can still set them to record and sit down and watch them less than a second after the recording has started

---------- Post added at 17:08 ---------- Previous post was at 17:06 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JethroUK View Post
Suppose it's fair to say you can manage to watch live TV without a Tivo - or for that matter without any PVR at all - so why should it be 'a PVR feature'? - pretty sure my TV will switch over on reminder if i was ever fussed

I think people have a psychological barrier to recording stuff unnecessarily (throw back from VCR) - but if you consider Tivo (most PVR's) record it whether you plan it or not - why not just record it

i record every single thing i intend to watch - even if i start watching about 10 minutes after it started.
OMG! I'm agreeing with JethroUK. Perhaps the world's going to end this weekend after all
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 17:15   #79
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
OMG! I'm agreeing with JethroUK. Perhaps the world's going to end this weekend after all
Looks like now is the time to put my head between my legs and kiss my, Sorry what were were on About
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 17:17   #80
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

No-one's saying that live TV is "a PVR feature". I wish you two would stop twisting peoples' words.

1: Just because people want to watch some programming live doesn't mean that they don't want to use PVR feature as well.

2: Just because people want to use PVR features doesn't mean that they don't want to watch some programming live as well.

So you want to record everything and watch when you want to. Bully for you. Other people want to watch some programming live. Some people want reminder functionality, and VM have also stated that they're going to add it. No-one's forcing you to use it so I don't see why you have such a bee in your bonnet over it. Is it really that offensive to you that other people have their own way of doing things?
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 18:00   #81
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

No, but it does seem rather odd that people have made such a fuss about a feature that is better than a reminder as not only will it change channel for you at the start but it will also record the programme as well, in case you don't happen to be in front of the TV at the time and therefore miss the reminder.

As I have previously posted:

Reminder:
Change channel at start

Tivo:
Change channel at start
Record programme

I know which I prefer and can't see why other people don't
Old 28-05-2011, 18:04   #82
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post

So you want to record everything and watch when you want to. Bully for you. Other people want to watch some programming live. Some people want reminder functionality, and VM have also stated that they're going to add it. No-one's forcing you to use it so I don't see why you have such a bee in your bonnet over it. Is it really that offensive to you that other people have their own way of doing things?
Quote:
No, but it does seem rather odd that people have made such a fuss about a feature that is better than a reminder as not only will it change channel for you at the start but it will also record the programme as well, in case you don't happen to be in front of the TV at the time and therefore miss the reminder.
Both are very valid points, But why not incorporate the 2 have a reminder that changes the channel at the start and also records it (for if you are away from the TV at the time of the programmes starting).

Just my opinion Or will this cause more discourse
Old 28-05-2011, 18:12   #83
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
Both are very valid points, But why not incorporate the 2 have a reminder that changes the channel at the start and also records it (for if you are away from the TV at the time of the programmes starting).
But that's what Tivo does now. And there's a red light that comes on on the front of the box that... erm... reminds ... you that something has started
Quote:
...will this cause more discourse
Take a guess
Old 28-05-2011, 18:16   #84
Lew
Inactive

Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

Quote:
I know which I prefer and can't see why other people don't
That's the point. It's your personal preference. It's been explained to you multiple times why other people have their own personal preferences. No-one's saying that you shouldn't use your TiVo how you want to, so why does it matter to you that others want to use their TiVos the way they want to? Just because it's the way you do it doesn't mean it's the best way or the only way, just that it's the way that suits you.
Old 28-05-2011, 18:17   #85
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

Quote:
But that's what Tivo does now. And there's a red light that comes on on the front of the box that... erm... reminds ... you that something has started
I meant change the channel automatically and also start recording as well. Sorry should have made myself more clear
Old 28-05-2011, 18:20   #86
Lew
Inactive

Quote:
But I don't want to record 9 hours of live baseball that I'm watching. I just want the box to automatically tune to the right channel at the start. I don't care if I miss the start of the programme, I want to watch it live (or as live as it's possible to get, before you post another of your pedantic replies), not delayed. I don't even necessarily intend to watch the screen while it's on, as long as I can listen to the commentary, so why should I have to keep looking at the STB to see if a light has come on so that I can manually watch a recording. That's like waking up early to see if it's time for your alarm clock to go off.
Old 28-05-2011, 18:20   #87
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
That's the point. It's your personal preference. It's been explained to you multiple times why other people have their own personal preferences. No-one's saying that you shouldn't use your TiVo how you want to, so why does it matter to you that others want to use their TiVos the way they want to? Just because it's the way you do it doesn't mean it's the best way or the only way, just that it's the way that suits you.
LEW, This is just a joke but I can not make out what you are saying as a MOD as the words are sporadic (the ones in BOLD)
Old 28-05-2011, 18:25   #88
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Look some people want reminders and some people like doing it the other way like Carl but l know which one suits me and that is being able to set reminders like the V plus.
Old 28-05-2011, 18:28   #89
scotmac
Inactive

Services: XL Tv 2 x V6 1 TB TiVo 200 Broadband XL phone
scotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of light

OMG who in their right mind started this thread going again.

scotmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 18:29   #90
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotmac View Post
OMG who in their right mind started this thread going again.

It was not me but l know who started it but will not reveal names.