Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | General TiVo Discussion Part 3

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

General TiVo Discussion Part 3

Old 08-09-2014, 21:22   #1666
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
Re: General TiVo Discussion Part 3

Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder! I think they look great. In fact, I've always thought they look great, and still do, even though as I've got to know them over time my love for what's inside has diminished (pretty much with each new Virgin upgrade)!
Old 08-09-2014, 21:24   #1667
DOT COTTON
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TIVO XL PHONE 152MB BB
DOT COTTON is infamous around these partsDOT COTTON is infamous around these parts

Does anyone know why channel numbers are not on the box like all other virgin boxes even going back to cabletel days.
DOT COTTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 00:18   #1668
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOT COTTON View Post
Does anyone know why channel numbers are not on the box like all other virgin boxes even going back to cabletel days.
The older non-recordable boxes could only tune to one TV channel so displaying the channel number worked. Even with the V+ HD boxes, there is only one live TV tuner and two separate recording tuners, so the number on the front showed what the Live TV tuner was set to show.

TiVo has three tuners all of which can record or show Live TV, so what you're actually watching can be on any of the three tuners - therefore you can't show three different channel numbers at the same time.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:27   #1669
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
The older non-recordable boxes could only tune to one TV channel so displaying the channel number worked. Even with the V+ HD boxes, there is only one live TV tuner and two separate recording tuners, so the number on the front showed what the Live TV tuner was set to show.

TiVo has three tuners all of which can record or show Live TV, so what you're actually watching can be on any of the three tuners - therefore you can't show three different channel numbers at the same time.
I too wondered about the missing channel number. Thanks for the explanation Ben.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:46   #1670
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Has anyone heard about the TiVo Mega? It looks absolutely nuts!

http://www.t3.com/news/tivo-launches...owerhouse#null

Shame on anyone who asks when it's coming to VM, you really will have more money than sense
Joedm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 13:19   #1671
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post

Shame on anyone who asks when it's coming to VM, you really will have more money than sense
Sounds good, but it's impractical. What happens when it dies, which is all too often on the existing boxes?

The answer surely lies in the cloud, and so this machine is already out of date.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 13:39   #1672
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

Chuffing hell. Even if I had the money and lived in America I wouldn't buy it. Looks too big and probably makes a lot of noise.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 13:41   #1673
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC1984 View Post
Chuffing hell. Even if I had the money and lived in America I wouldn't buy it. Looks too big and probably makes a lot of noise.
Yes, it's not a pretty sight, is it? Not one of TIVO's best efforts!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 13:50   #1674
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Sounds good, but it's impractical. What happens when it dies, which is all too often on the existing boxes?

The answer surely lies in the cloud, and so this machine is already out of date.
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, it's not a pretty sight, is it? Not one of TIVO's best efforts!
TiVo are doing the 'proper' cloud too http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/07/t...dvr-prototype/

However I think the whole 'in home' mega install is a lot more popular in the US than it is over here - there are quite a few products available over there where you can load up your DVD / Blu-Ray collections onto a server http://www.kaleidescape.com/products/

I'm assuming this is who TiVo are aiming it at - and it would likely sit within a server room, rather than being on show.
Old 09-09-2014, 14:31   #1675
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

The answer surely lies in the cloud and so this machine is already out of date.
Until the rights holders impose their draconian restrictions on cloud storage that is.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 14:55   #1676
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post

Jesus H, now that's one ugly mod edit..... You'd need to be tied to your chair 24/7 to even get close to watching everything it can hold, now that really is sad.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 15:43   #1677
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I think it's more so you never have to delete anything again or even risk loosing recordings. and it's a rack mount so you wouldn't ever need to see the actual thing.

---------- Post added at 15:41 ---------- Previous post was at 15:36 ----------

Quote:

It's not a single HDD it's a multi drive setup configured in RAID 5 with the drives being hot swapable.

So chances of it ever dying is very slim.

---------- Post added at 15:43 ---------- Previous post was at 15:41 ----------

Quote:
It's not meant to look pretty. It's a mass storage device to be rack mounted meaning it will be hidden away so you'd never see or hear it.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:44   #1678
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2014) Vol. 3

Improved start up time is good news
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:19   #1679
pk1
cf.addict

Services: Sky Fibre Max Broadband, Sky Telephone, Sky Q 2TB
pk1 is a splendid one to beholdpk1 is a splendid one to beholdpk1 is a splendid one to beholdpk1 is a splendid one to beholdpk1 is a splendid one to beholdpk1 is a splendid one to beholdpk1 is a splendid one to beholdpk1 is a splendid one to beholdpk1 is a splendid one to behold

Taken from Twitter

Retweeted by What Hi-Fi?
Joe Cox @TheRealJoeCox · 10m
At Virgin HQ waiting to hear some TiVo news.
pk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:56   #1680
Doug P
Inactive

Services: Virgin Cable TV (Tivo) and Freeview
Doug P has reached the bronze age
Doug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Somehow l knew Mr Grumpy would not be happy.
I rather like the colours....
Doug P is offline   Reply With Quote