Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Benefit cuts are fuelling abuse of disabled people, say charities

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Benefit cuts are fuelling abuse of disabled people, say charities

Old 14-02-2012, 04:20   #106
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze
Re: Benefit cuts are fuelling abuse of disabled people, say charities

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
nope totally wrong read what was posted not what you think i posted
explain it then.

As you just posted there is no issue with child tax credits as it already existed.

You posted earlier then that you think disability benefits need cutting.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-02-2012, 09:56   #107
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

The issue seems to be more with Housing as this really is where much of the Benefit disagreement lies. Rather than coal face benefits for those who genuinely need it. Sadly there has been a lot of knee jerk reactions by the government fuelled by papers such as the Daily Fail. The disabled have been the hardest hit by such as ATOS. LHA takes no account of regional differences such as the proportion of social housing to private rentals & the corresponding lower LHA that results.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 10:37   #108
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

I used to work in the engineering/manufacturing industry.....lost my job when my relationship with my ex went down hill and found myself unemployed for about 18 months.

I didn't want to go back into the manufacturing industry if could be helped and wanted to retrain which I did for the NHS.

When I approached the job centre and told them that the NHS are offering courses and was guaranteed a job at the end they didn't want to know told me that it would be classed as a full time course and I was be a student and not seeking work the course was for 3 months then I would be back in work full time.

I was finding that applying for jobs in the manufacturing industry I was over qualified or worked for big companies that the smaller ones didn't want to take me on. this was the start of the down turn in that area.

I managed to sort the training with private companies who were paying for the course and they let me out to sign on and not say anything.

it wasn't 3 but 6 months later I was back working full time in a new career. I have moved up since futher in the job. I found they didn't offer much help.

My stepson has special needs (aspergers and dyspraxia) he can't claim DLA even though he needs help at college. reason was that school got the diagnosis too late to get a full statement (while his cousin who was spotted early age with just (dyspraxia) gets DLA.

but I find there are a lot of people claiming they need it when they dont we are becoming a nation that relies on handouts but go back years ago when there was no family tax or anything like that how did people cope back then.

One of my ex's friends had 2 kids 2 different fathers the youngest was getting to school age and the social wanted her to start finding work because she had been on benefits since the eldest was born at least 7/8 years so what did she do she started sleeping around with just anyone to get pregnant again so she didn't have to work.
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 14:50   #109
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua View Post
The issue seems to be more with Housing as this really is where much of the Benefit disagreement lies. Rather than coal face benefits for those who genuinely need it. Sadly there has been a lot of knee jerk reactions by the government fuelled by papers such as the Daily Fail. The disabled have been the hardest hit by such as ATOS. LHA takes no account of regional differences such as the proportion of social housing to private rentals & the corresponding lower LHA that results.
Housing it seems is highly variable. Round here one would be hard pressed to find something that would take benefit to obscene levels.

LHA seems in short a con, it was sold as quick to process and add indepency however the former may be true, the latter is no different to housing benefit but the disadvantage of LHA is it typically is less generous than housing benefit and leaves people short of their rent. I checked the rate for my area and it would only cover about 2/3 of my rent, and I am in the lower end of the market. I assume this is because they include housing association rents which of course distort the figures. I also read somewhere there was further distortion by them changing how its calcuated.
Old 14-02-2012, 16:04   #110
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
Housing it seems is highly variable. Round here one would be hard pressed to find something that would take benefit to obscene levels.

LHA seems in short a con, it was sold as quick to process and add indepency however the former may be true, the latter is no different to housing benefit but the disadvantage of LHA is it typically is less generous than housing benefit and leaves people short of their rent. I checked the rate for my area and it would only cover about 2/3 of my rent, and I am in the lower end of the market. I assume this is because they include housing association rents which of course distort the figures. I also read somewhere there was further distortion by them changing how its calcuated.
I agree. This is something I get from desperate people worrying about how they will pay their rent. Desperate people who seem never to have the right points level to bid for social housing as few one bed places are available. So they are stuck with privately renting a two bed place and trying to find the shortfall, a shortfall which is likely to get bigger as they lose benefits.

So they are not the feckless breeders living in mansions as the Daily Wail would have us believe.
Old 14-02-2012, 18:50   #111
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

I think we are wandering off topic slightly..
Old 14-02-2012, 19:20   #112
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
explain it then.

As you just posted there is no issue with child tax credits as it already existed.

Tax credits have been cut so i don't know what your point is

Quote:
You posted earlier then that you think disability benefits need cutting
No i haven't ,you keep saying i have but refuse to show me the evidence ,i have just re read all my posts and i haven't said anything of the sort .I wish you would read posts instead of making things up .

What i have said in short is that there are plenty of people on invalidity benefits or sickness benefits of any type that shouldn't be on them and getting those people off them will help cut the bill
Old 15-02-2012, 04:33   #113
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Did you not say that these cuts are needed? I didnt read anywhere where you disagreed with them. If you disagree with them then I will apologise.
Old 15-02-2012, 06:47   #114
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Wow!
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 09:20   #115
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Wow!
Have you won the lottery, Hugh?
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 09:28   #116
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

No
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 10:17   #117
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Topic?
Old 15-02-2012, 10:54   #118
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Where Benefit wars are fuelling violence is only because the obviously disabled make an easy target. Saddest of all, these are the people who truly deserve our compassion & support. These are the self same people who get bullied and ill served by ATOS and the stupid box ticking that deliberately ignores medical truths such as claiming someone profoundly deaf from birth can hear. Or treating anyone with degenerative illnesses as if they will get better.

So the people who will lose a few pounds from child tax credits or who read the scaremongering press will blame the benefit scroungers. However as they are not individually easy to identify the disabled become the target.
Old 16-02-2012, 08:02   #119
RizzyKing

Well i guess i will find out what sort of attitude there is officially soon as i got my phone call tonight to attend my medical assessment in leicester early march. They weren't happy because they wanted me to take an 08:30 slot and i asked if it could be later as i need to time to get moving and also because i live 16 miles away and public transport can be a bit spotty at best. Already expecting the "fit for work" part despite having two consultants and an old fashioned gp (getting a sick note out of him is like blood from a stone lol) stating in their opinion i am not and will not be fit for work barring a breakthrough in treatment for my condition.
Old 16-02-2012, 20:10   #120
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Quote:
Originally Posted by RizzyKing View Post
Well i guess i will find out what sort of attitude there is officially soon as i got my phone call tonight to attend my medical assessment in leicester early march. They weren't happy because they wanted me to take an 08:30 slot and i asked if it could be later as i need to time to get moving and also because i live 16 miles away and public transport can be a bit spotty at best. Already expecting the "fit for work" part despite having two consultants and an old fashioned gp (getting a sick note out of him is like blood from a stone lol) stating in their opinion i am not and will not be fit for work barring a breakthrough in treatment for my condition.
You can ask for your meeting to be officially recorded or (secretly) record this yourself (though this will not be admissible as evidence). Also may be worth taking someone with you as back up. - Best of luck & fingers crossed.