Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | One of a thousand

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

One of a thousand

Old 05-02-2011, 21:56   #121
ronnie_m
Inactive

Services: Tivo on VIP50
ronnie_m is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: One of a thousand

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiefrost View Post
Why do you feel let down? As a Virgin customer you had a chance to win this as well (as it does seem to be completely random)

JJ
I did not know about it. Just choosing people at random does not seem to me to be a positive marketing strategy as it creates resentment and does not sell the new product. What incentment is there for people to sign up or buy the product? Getting people talking about it is one thing buying it is another as is handling a large no. of unhappy customers.
ronnie_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2011, 22:02   #122
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

I would suggest this is a marketing campaign to drum up interest in the product ahead of a full launch. It's a talking point on forums such as this, or by the drinks machine in the office.

1st person: "I've got my own personalised remote control from virgin to control tivo".
2nd person: "What's a tivo?".

Free advertising for virgin. Tivo is a totally unknown product/brand in this country. So there needs to be a bit of that Ipad "chat" to get things going.

I would also suggest that the 1 in 1000 refers to the personalised remote control only. 1000 people will get the remote with their name on it. But I would also suggest that all VIP customers will get a free tivo box when it fully launches. That info, by the way, was posted by media boy on here last year. I have no reason to doubt it.
Old 05-02-2011, 22:04   #123
a2d
Inactive

Services: Virgin XXL
a2d is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: One of a thousand

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
You mean places running contests that people other than those who win know about?

Unless VM expect this to go viral then it's a pretty crappy marketing campaign, and if it does go viral, it will be for all the wrong reasons as people who didn't "win" will be annoyed that they'll have to shell out £180+£3/m.

Like I said before, campaigns that give things away do so to drive sales. Who is going to buy something if they already have it? And who other than people who get them for free or the very few people who read the forums will know about it?
Like some good wine deal at your local supermarket but when you get there there's none left?
a2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 22:06   #124
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze age
TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2d View Post
Like some good wine deal at your local supermarket but when you get there there's none left?
I never have that problem, I've always got plenty of wine.
TheDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 22:10   #125
mikcoles
Inactive

Services: VirginMedia Premier collection.
mikcoles is just really nicemikcoles is just really nicemikcoles is just really nicemikcoles is just really nicemikcoles is just really nicemikcoles is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by frobozz View Post
Easy to check if you are on the list. Just substitute your name for John's in the url on the letter photo he uploaded

I'm not getting one but, then again, I'm not VIP either
Ok so I substituted my name for John's in the url and the woman showed a remote with my name on, so does that mean I am getting one even though as yet I have not received anything?
mikcoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 22:13   #126
frobozz
Inactive

frobozz is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikcoles View Post
Ok so I substituted my name for John's in the url and the woman showed a remote with my name on, so does that mean I am getting one even though as yet I have not received anything?
It means you have a better chance than most people here. Depends how many Mike Coles there are with virgin accounts, I guess.
frobozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 22:14   #127
warrenb
cf.addict

Services: VIP50 + 2 Virgin Mobiles + Mobile Broadband
warrenb is an unknown quantity at this point

Did my name on the website and doesn't look good for me. Bit gutted really. I hate random things. Never know though, today may have just been a first batch.
warrenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 22:16   #128
a2d
Inactive

Quote:
You know what I mean - it's satisfying to take advantage of an opportunity. My wife is Italian and traditionally you store seasonal produce under oil/salt or more recently freezer and shop for food for the day. Do that at a UK supermarket and you can have e.g. a more mature beef steak at a reduced price before they send it to the OAP home...

I've a jewish friend who complains about everything - amazes me what he gets away with. He once sent his wife's laptop back to Sony (European service centre in the Netherlands) because there was some problem and they took it uppone themselves to replace the entire case because it was scratched and wanted to charge him - he kicked up a stink so they gave the laptop back at no charge and gave him another laptop to say sorry....
Old 05-02-2011, 22:30   #129
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
As all these forums look the same, not sure this is the one where they tell you how to clone the HD in the Samsung STB
No, we don't approve of that sort of thing.

Quote:
• Ethernet does nothing? There's one on the old Telewest Pace box for effect. SA/Samsung sported also ... accessing the content on the HDD via ethernet - don't think so! Sharing it to PC's? don't think so either...
The old boxes had Ethernet to provide a broadband connection. Telewest didn't use it much, but NTL did.

On the other hand the TiVo Ethernet port is designed for content sharing. Watch this space.

Quote:
As I pay for a second STB (the old telewest one), is the installer going to take one (Samsung V+) away - even though this one's completely free?
Not so sure I'm happy with that. They can take the Pace one, but as I'm "Trialing" it I wan't to keep what I'm already happy with (apart from the measly storage space)
I'm sure they'll be happy to take your Pace away.

Quote:
All round to Don's!
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 23:12   #130
a2d
Inactive

Annoyed - my favourite new channel Cinemoi became PPV

---------- Post added at 22:43 ---------- Previous post was at 22:35 ----------

My 13 year old son wants an anime "app"/channel on the TiVO box - It's all publicly available but painful downloading high quality. So whilst there's a browser (Opera embedded?) you can't just browse the interweb?

---------- Post added at 23:12 ---------- Previous post was at 22:43 ----------

Last post

This content is all geared towards your house. That's just not the way it works for the next generation. Doesn't work too well for me when we go to our second house in Italy. Got a sky+ box there and dish - get crap Italian TV but want BBC etc. Can get a £20 access card, but need at least a 1.4M dish. No such thing as cross-country Sky access even though the EU is an open economic area...
Slingbox - broadband in rural Italy is awful and 3G is a laugh. Hence I'm always interested in recording movies especially and taking them to watch on holiday so connectivity of STB's is interesting.
Basically understand I'm only paying for the rights to watch TV at my main residence, but our Portsmouth landlady may change all that...
Old 05-02-2011, 23:16   #131
Roooty
Inactive

Roooty is an unknown quantity at this point

People whinging is just ridiculous. Virgin can do what they like with their products.

Now if I had a say in how this was to be run, I'd have publicly announced that 1,000 folks were going to receive a remote / TiVo and thus try to drum up some interest. Follow this by a grand draw, etc., etc. Basically get some mileage out of it.

I didn't get a remote and I'm disappointed as I would love a TiVo. (I had one of the original UK ones and it remains the best set top box I've ever used.) I'm pleased for folks who got one and I hope they enjoy their 'gift', but I won't be losing any sleep over this.
Roooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 23:32   #132
TonyHoyle
Inactive

TonyHoyle has a spectacular aura about themTonyHoyle has a spectacular aura about themTonyHoyle has a spectacular aura about themTonyHoyle has a spectacular aura about them

Indeed.. stoked for those who have one - they'll never look at another PVR again :p

Also jealous... :p
TonyHoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 00:11   #133
redpizza
Inactive

redpizza is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, I'm really annoyed I'm a VIP100 customer plus a Tivo Series One owner. I get the great deal of paying £150 up front plus an extra £3pm, whereas VIP50 customers get a Tivo for free!

I'm cancelling my order on Monday. Looks like this campaign back fired on me.
redpizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 00:16   #134
The Yank
Inactive

Services: VIP(300BB) 2xV6 Boxes
The Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really nice

this makes me wonder if Media Boy's original posting was correct about VIP customers getting TIVO for free.
The Yank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:00   #135
vanman
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky
vanman has reached the bronze age
vanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yank View Post
this makes me wonder if Media Boy's original posting was correct about VIP customers getting TIVO for free.
but they are 1000 of them
vanman is offline   Reply With Quote