Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The iPhone thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The iPhone thread

Old 05-10-2011, 22:22   #1711
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Re: The iPhone thread

The inevitable "Downfall Parody" has already appeared on YouTube. I won't link to it (& no one else should!) as it contains a lot of swearing.

It is rather funny though, as the Downfall videos generally are.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2011, 22:28   #1712
XxAmazingStarxX
Permanently Banned

XxAmazingStarxX is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
The inevitable "Downfall Parody" has already appeared on YouTube. I won't link to it (& no one else should!) as it contains a lot of swearing.

It is rather funny though, as the Downfall videos generally are.
Um apparently providing links to any website with swear words is not allowed on this forum?
XxAmazingStarxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 22:37   #1713
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Actually, not apparently...

It may help if you read the Acceptable Use Policy
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 17:00   #1714
tucker61
Inactive

Services: Vivid200, v6, full house tv pack
tucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nice

Rip Steve jobs. Hope next years iPhone is better.
tucker61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 17:03   #1715
XxAmazingStarxX
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Actually, not apparently...

It may help if you read the Acceptable Use Policy
Well...it's apparent to me...
Old 06-10-2011, 20:22   #1716
Shadow Demon UK
Inactive

Shadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appeal
Shadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appeal

Has anyone released prices for the 4S in the UK? I'm due an upgrade with O2 and don't know whether to go for the 4S or the Galaxy S II on a years contract and wait for the next iPhone.
Shadow Demon UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 20:28   #1717
XxAmazingStarxX
Permanently Banned

Do you prefer open source or very cool paid apps?
Old 06-10-2011, 21:44   #1718
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Demon UK View Post
Has anyone released prices for the 4S in the UK? I'm due an upgrade with O2 and don't know whether to go for the 4S or the Galaxy S II on a years contract and wait for the next iPhone.
Will be the same as the iPhone 4 was.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 22:20   #1719
XxAmazingStarxX
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
How do you know??? Thought the price hasn't been announced yet...
Old 06-10-2011, 22:50   #1720
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I'l not touch a iPhone as other smartphone contracts will be cheaper, and you will get more mins/txt/data for you £'s
Old 07-10-2011, 01:45   #1721
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Yup, most likely.

The SIM free unlocked prices are the same as for the iPhone 4 (e.g. £499 for 16GB), so I'd guess (hope) that the contract prices will be the same too.

Hopefully, it won't take the networks ages to release price info like it did with last year's farce. The pre-order date with Apple came and went, and we were still waiting and waiting and waiting for the networks to get round to telling us what they were going to charge.
Old 07-10-2011, 20:35   #1722
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

The iPhone 4S

Worse than last year:

Apple doesn't seem to be doing online reservations for collection in-store this year, just SIM free online pre-orders for delivery.

Better than last year:

Vodafone, T-Mobile, Orange and Three have all actually put price and tariff info on their websites, and started taking pre-orders. [When the 4 was announced last year, it was days *after* Apple's pre-orders and reservations went up before *any* of the networks announced any price or tariff info]

The same as last year:

O2 has done naff all. O2's site does at least mention the 4S, but just says it's out on the 14th, no tariff info or up-front prices are given yet. LAME

------

Looking at the tariffs and prices available so far, Three looks the best to me. e.g. 24 month contract for the 16GB 4S: Three (£35, 2000 mins) gives more minutes than T-Mobile/Orange (£35.75/£36, 600 mins) and Vodafone (£36, 600 mins), and truly unlimited data (rather than 500MB like the other three). T-Mobile/Orange look next best, due to having a lower up-front cost for the phone than Vodafone. OK, Vodafone is currently offering £59 back, which brings it down to £100 upfront compared to £99 upfront with Three or £99.99 upfront with T-Mobile/Orange, but only if you pre-order today...

Of course, although Three has the best tariffs, and the best 3G network, I've only ever heard bad things about its customer service, and I know various people who'd never use Three because of its rep.

---------- Post added at 20:35 ---------- Previous post was at 18:55 ----------

If it wasn't for the bad rep, I'd switch to Three.

As it is, I think I'll switch to Tesco... if it does similar prices/tariffs to last year. Tesco Mobile was very competitive last year for the iPhone 4, and offered 12 month contracts that weren't a joke.

My current 18 month O2 contract costs £35 per month (well, £35.something 'cos of the VAT change). 300 minutes, "unlimited" SMS, and 500MB data. The upfront cost of the 16GB iPhone 4 was £179.

IIRC, the equivalent 18 month Vodafone contract at the time for the 16GB iPhone 4 was pretty much identical... but 1GB of data and an upfront cost of £169.

I stayed with O2 due to inertia and also not being too bothered by the data. Easier to just stay put.

This year, the closest 18month contract with Vodafone, for a 16GB 4S, is £36 per month, with an upfront cost of £259, 300 minutes, "unlimited" SMS, and 500MB of data. To get a similar upfront cost as to last year, you have to either go up a tier to £41 per month, or sign up for 24 months instead of 18 months.

So, if Vodafone's offerings are worse than last year, I definitely expect O2's to be worse...
Old 07-10-2011, 21:13   #1723
XxAmazingStarxX
Permanently Banned

Is there still gonna be the iPhone 4s released btw cuz of Steve jobs?:'(
Old 07-10-2011, 23:07   #1724
wwe
cf.mega poster

Services: Telewest Phone Telewest BroadBand Telewest Digital Tv v+ HD
wwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpack

i Cart wait to get the iphone 4s. never had an iphone befor always wanted one tho. but have to wait till Jan till i can upgrade.

do you think ill have to pay some money up front for it or will i just do what i usually do and get a free upgrade?
wwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 23:09   #1725
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

You'll have to pay money up front. You won't get an iPhone as a "free" upgrade unless you have a very high monthly tariff.

---------- Post added at 23:09 ---------- Previous post was at 23:09 ----------

O2 has finally put some information up!

http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/iphonetariffs/

Prices are similar to the rest, e.g.

- 24 month contract at £31 per month for 600 mins plus "unlimited" SMS, with a £6 per month 500MB Data Bolt On (O2 split the data off a while back) [£37 per month total]: 16GB 4S costs £99 up front.

- 18 month contract at £31 per month for 600 mins plus "unlimited" SMS, with a £6 per month 500MB Data Bolt On [£37 per month total]: 16GB 4S costs £169.99 up front.

Data Bolt Ons include the "Visual Voicemail" and also tethering (tethering used to be a separate thing).

Existing customers can also choose from a range of 12 month contracts.

So, if you compare:

e.g. a 24 month "~£35ish" contract, you get 600 minutes, "unlimited" SMS, and 500MB data from O2 for £37, Orange for £36, T-Mobile for £35.75, and Vodafone for £36. Upfront cost of a 16GB 4S with each is £99 for O2, £99.99 for Orange and T-Mobile, and £159 for Vodafone (who will give £59 back, but only if pre-ordered today, according to the site). With Three, it's £35 per month for 2000 minutes, 5000 SMS, and truly unlimited data, with an upfront cost of £99.

http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/iphonetariffs/
http://shop.orange.co.uk/newiphone
https://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/pay-...mobile-phones/
https://www.vodafone.co.uk/brands/ip...hone/index.htm
http://www.three.co.uk/Phones/Preorder