Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | is 3 uk network any good? thinking of getting an iphone 5

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

is 3 uk network any good? thinking of getting an iphone 5

Old 20-09-2012, 11:16   #16
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: is 3 uk network any good? thinking of getting an iphone 5

For data I find 3 pathetically congested in some areas (64kbit/s if you're lucky) whereas T-Orange is better for both data coverage and data speed.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-09-2012, 19:18   #17
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

I had O2 unlock my iPhone this week so that I could test Three's coverage etc. via a PAYG SIM.

Got the SIM today. Good signal at home, just need to try it out at work and a couple of other places.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 01:09   #18
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Just remember they've disabled 2G data in most places and are progressively turning off 2G entirely in many.
Old 22-09-2012, 21:40   #19
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Aye tis hit and miss. Utter crap in Central London particularly around the major railway stations. Not signal wise but speed wise.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 22:24   #20
Vieil Homme
Inactive

Vieil Homme has much to be proud ofVieil Homme has much to be proud ofVieil Homme has much to be proud ofVieil Homme has much to be proud ofVieil Homme has much to be proud ofVieil Homme has much to be proud ofVieil Homme has much to be proud ofVieil Homme has much to be proud ofVieil Homme has much to be proud ofVieil Homme has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakkaday View Post
they have the best deal.

im with orange and t-mobile.
orange upgrade is pathetic as i might aswell get a new contract...

so i am thinking of 3 network

i knew a few years ago people said their signal was poor etc, is this still the case?
Depends on your area but at Kent Uni Orange/T-mobile and 02 are quite bad but 3 network shines through and the data is quite fast. Same around Letchworth area so my daughter is made-up she has a phone she can use and is real happy with the deal she got from 3 for an iPhone 4s

Best thing is get a free 3 sim and try it out
Vieil Homme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 00:15   #21
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

T-Mobile and 3 have the same coverage, except on 3 you don't get the added benefit of Orange 3G and T-Mobile 2G
Old 23-09-2012, 04:43   #22
paulsouth

Services: sky+hd 1TB freeview virgin bb 30mbps

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakkaday View Post
they have the best deal.

im with orange and t-mobile.
orange upgrade is pathetic as i might aswell get a new contract...

so i am thinking of 3 network

i knew a few years ago people said their signal was poor etc, is this still the case?
to be honest,it depends on the area u live in..
honest truth.. o2 are better than 3.
they been running for years..
but i find the 3 internet dongle is better than o2.
being real..it depends where u live..
Old 23-09-2012, 07:34   #23
Vieil Homme
Inactive

Vieil Homme has much to be proud ofVieil Homme has much to be proud ofVieil Homme has much to be proud ofVieil Homme has much to be proud ofVieil Homme has much to be proud ofVieil Homme has much to be proud ofVieil Homme has much to be proud ofVieil Homme has much to be proud ofVieil Homme has much to be proud ofVieil Homme has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
T-Mobile and 3 have the same coverage, except on 3 you don't get the added benefit of Orange 3G and T-Mobile 2G
both Orange and T-mobile give you 3G and there is talk of 2G being turned off. I am on T-mobile and in my area the switching works well on 3G and I can switch off 3G giving me 2G I am
Old 23-09-2012, 09:44   #24
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

I am with three and have been for 4 years never really had a signal problem except on the Norfolk Broads but all mobile providers have problems in North Norfolk.!

Other then that great value i have just upgraded with them on the one plan with a Smasung Galaxy 2, 2,000 mimutes,5,000 texts,unlimited broadband including tethering £25 a month even Virgin Mobile with their VM customer discount could not beat that price.
Old 23-09-2012, 20:56   #25
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vieil Homme View Post
both Orange and T-mobile give you 3G and there is talk of 2G being turned off. I am on T-mobile and in my area the switching works well on 3G and I can switch off 3G giving me 2G I am
Nobody except 3 is turning off 2G, and that's only because they have to pay through the ears for it.

Orange/T-Mobile will be upgrading all 2G transmitters to 3G but will not be turning off 2G any time in the next decade.
Old 23-09-2012, 21:15   #26
Vieil Homme
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Nobody except 3 is turning off 2G, and that's only because they have to pay through the ears for it.

Orange/T-Mobile will be upgrading all 2G transmitters to 3G but will not be turning off 2G any time in the next decade.
Sorry for the silly question but if T-mobile/Orange are upgrading all 2G tansmitters to 3G how will they run the 2G network

Secondly why is the 2G network still needed as most people are running smart phones ??
Old 23-09-2012, 23:32   #27
mike24
Inactive

Services: super hub 2, 50Mbps, TiVo 500MB Tv, phone
mike24 will become famous soon enoughmike24 will become famous soon enoughmike24 will become famous soon enough

I used to be on 3 but found out, when using the web, could not relied upon to work all of the time.
mike24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 15:10   #28
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vieil Homme View Post
Sorry for the silly question but if T-mobile/Orange are upgrading all 2G tansmitters to 3G how will they run the 2G network

Secondly why is the 2G network still needed as most people are running smart phones ??
The same way they do now. They run both 3G and 2G on the same transmitter at the same time. When you upgrade a transmitter to 3G you add 3G to it, you do not remove 2G.

Most people are not running smartphones. Even on smartphones, 2G is more power efficient for phone calls.
Old 25-09-2012, 20:42   #29
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike24 View Post
I used to be on 3 but found out, when using the web, could not relied upon to work all of the time.
I think that applies to all mobile networks from time to time depending which area you are in that is not particular to just three.

In my area T Mobile/Orange is particuarly bad for the web.