Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin media possibly getting serious on dodgy boxes?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin media possibly getting serious on dodgy boxes?

Old 04-04-2009, 01:00   #241
Martyn
Inactive

Services: Sky TV 2TB HD - Fiber Pro
Martyn is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin media possibly getting serious on dodgy boxes?

tbh if i had a bt phone line, i would have ditched ntl/vm along time ago..
Martyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2009, 10:26   #242
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Why don't you have a BT phone line?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:47   #243
chickendippers
Inactive

Services: On-cable: TV-L, BB-L, Phone-M. Off-cable: Sky+ HD, Plusnet Unlimited.
chickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to chickendippers

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex z View Post
i know of someone who for just £30 quid comes to your house takes the card out the box puts it into a card adaptor connected to his laptop clones the card onto a blank one.
Well report him them: http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/tv-fraud.php
chickendippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:18   #244
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

My feelings are that as Virgin Clamp down on paying users with draconian STM then the more these same users will turn to having backup connections via dodgy modems.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:54   #245
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
My feelings are that as Virgin Clamp down on paying users with draconian STM then the more these same users will turn to having backup connections via dodgy modems.
With the advent of the 'S' service it's not hard to imagine people using the S service along with a telephone line and M TV to keep the connection to the home running and running a cloned modem.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:33   #246
100meg
Inactive

100meg is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

nail head
100meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 16:46   #247
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
A fraudster is starting a two-year jail sentence today after being found guilty of a set-top box scam which could have cost a satellite firm millions. <snip> Boswell pleaded guilty to selling unauthorised decoders, after the court heard he had made £360,000 profit from his illegal operation.
http://www.wigantoday.net/wigannews/...led.5157239.jp
Old 09-04-2009, 17:24   #248
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
Excellent news, While virgin are at it they should check out Bowlers as well. Virgin would have there eye's opened if they visited that place on a Saturday, there is more set-tops and modems there than in Virgins warehouses

Old 19-04-2009, 13:35   #249
zing_deleted

I thought the V+ boxes were secure but ive just seen one with full tv package no on demand though sold to someone for £100 by a VM installer
Old 19-04-2009, 13:46   #250
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb View Post
I thought the V+ boxes were secure but ive just seen one with full tv package no on demand though sold to someone for £100 by a VM installer
I heard they are like rocking horse do do to get hold off.

Old 19-04-2009, 13:53   #251
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Yep, and pointless as fully functional non-V+ HD compatible PVRs that work are easier to get hold of.

Roll on the encryption upgrades, won't put a stop to stuff but at least raise the bar a bit.
Old 19-04-2009, 13:56   #252
zing_deleted

Quote:

I might set up a meeting to see what the score is bare in mind I will not be buying one of these as I do not steal cable but I am interested in knowing the ins and outs which I will not be posting here obviously

---------- Post added at 13:56 ---------- Previous post was at 13:54 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadbandings View Post
Yep, and pointless as fully functional non-V+ HD compatible PVRs that work are easier to get hold of.

Roll on the encryption upgrades, won't put a stop to stuff but at least raise the bar a bit.

I fixed a customers pc yesterday and on his desktop was a dhcp sniffer program I asked the guy about it and he bought a V box for 50 quid and updates the card for a tenner(off another VM installer). So it looks like they are more prevelent than I thought.

I have said it before and ill say it again VM are not doing enough top track recovered boxes if they can not keep their own house in order why should they expect us to report stuff.
Old 19-04-2009, 14:00   #253
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadbandings View Post
I remember years back that my old Software Engineering Management lecturer gave a lecture on designing security systems. He spent two hours on the lecture and the basic upshot of it was that while we can (and indeed, should) keep making security systems more difficult to crack, it's doubtful that we ever will invent an unbreakable one. At least the people who do will end up very rich very quickly.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2009, 14:03   #254
zing_deleted

Look at it this way. VM will not be employing the elite coders so there will always be ways of exploiting. Also the encryption hardware? is old so its unlikely it will ever be secure. VM do not like investing so an upgrade to that is unlikely so its here to stay
Old 19-04-2009, 14:22   #255
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
I remember years back that my old Software Engineering Management lecturer gave a lecture on designing security systems. He spent two hours on the lecture and the basic upshot of it was that while we can (and indeed, should) keep making security systems more difficult to crack, it's doubtful that we ever will invent an unbreakable one. At least the people who do will end up very rich very quickly.
Indeed, it's all about making that bar high enough that to spend any more time, effort and money on security would outweigh the benefits of doing so.

In VM's case migration to Nagra 3 is likely good enough once done. There's quite a bit going on with the cable modem side and a concerted effort to get some modems off the network.

I did laugh yesterday reading a guy who was having to post on a 3G stick as his dodgy modems (all 9 of them) were offline. Virgin are playing catchup on this and the TV issues after total mismanagement by ntl and Telewest, having built the network and installed hardware with little regard for service theft. Think the Register story of 50Mbit theft has stung some action out of the company.

VM would probably be in a better situation as a company had not their two component companies not left so much cleanup to be done. Would be good to see a concerted security effort right from physical security with armoured and buried cabinets through to software and CPE security through stronger encryption, BPI+, etc.

---------- Post added at 14:22 ---------- Previous post was at 14:04 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb View Post
I might set up a meeting to see what the score is bare in mind I will not be buying one of these as I do not steal cable but I am interested in knowing the ins and outs which I will not be posting here obviously
See PM, should save you a trek, too much detail probably for cracking-paranoid forums like this one