Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Belkin Wireless G router + Belkin Gaming Adapter

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Belkin Wireless G router + Belkin Gaming Adapter

Old 12-10-2008, 21:13   #16
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
Re: Belkin Wireless G router + Belkin Gaming Adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpanchev View Post
The gaming adapter is in effect an access point... also, access points do not give dynamic IP addresses...
As I see it from the info you have provided, you probably have an IP conflict somewhere. Have you tried DHCP for all your devices? Your router should be capable of dealing with a lot more than 3-4 clients that you currently have. Check the IP addresses of your computers, the DVR and the gaming adaptor (yes, it is a layer 2 bridge, but it still has an IP address for management purposes). Make sure that they are all unique and on the same network. If possible, give details of the IP configuration of all your devices (including IP address, subnet mask and default gateway).

Thats odd as the netgear one I have in my office runs an internal DHCP server..... as does the belkin in my house !
Old 12-10-2008, 21:24   #17
kpanchev
Inactive

Services: BB L package
kpanchev will become famous soon enoughkpanchev will become famous soon enoughkpanchev will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Thats odd as the netgear one I have in my office runs an internal DHCP server..... as does the belkin in my house !
Then it is not an access point, but a full featured router....
kpanchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 21:39   #18
mrmistoffelees

mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Then it is not an access point, but a full featured router....
You might want to give netgear Uk a ring and tell them that WPN802 is a router and not a wireless access point as they clearly state

Oh look, DLINK do a wireless access point with embedded DHCP server too !!

http://www.dlink.com/products/?model=DWL-G700AP

"With its web-based setup wizard, the DWL-G700AP Access Point ensures that you will be up and running on a wireless network in just a matter of minutes. The DWL-G700AP also includes an embedded DHCP server that can automatically assign IP addresses to wireless network clients"
Old 12-10-2008, 22:09   #19
kpanchev
Inactive

kpanchev will become famous soon enoughkpanchev will become famous soon enoughkpanchev will become famous soon enough

Quote:
You might want to give netgear Uk a ring and tell them that WPN802 is a router and not a wireless access point as they clearly state

Oh look, DLINK do a wireless access point with embedded DHCP server too !!

http://www.dlink.com/products/?model=DWL-G700AP

"With its web-based setup wizard, the DWL-G700AP Access Point ensures that you will be up and running on a wireless network in just a matter of minutes. The DWL-G700AP also includes an embedded DHCP server that can automatically assign IP addresses to wireless network clients"
OK, let's get cheeky and start listing all possible hybrid products that can be found on the net...
By definition, an access point is equivalent to a layer 2 bridge and does not provide any layer 3 services, such as IP addressing or NAT or anything else... If some manufacturers decide to incorporate a DHCP server in it then you effectively have 2 devices into one - an access point and a DHCP server... The same as most wireless routers today, which are 3-in-1 devices - a router, a switch and a wireless access point....
Anyway, this is irrelevant to the original problem and I'll stop educating you.
Old 12-10-2008, 23:06   #20
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
OK, let's get cheeky and start listing all possible hybrid products that can be found on the net...
By definition, an access point is equivalent to a layer 2 bridge and does not provide any layer 3 services, such as IP addressing or NAT or anything else... If some manufacturers decide to incorporate a DHCP server in it then you effectively have 2 devices into one - an access point and a DHCP server... The same as most wireless routers today, which are 3-in-1 devices - a router, a switch and a wireless access point....
Anyway, this is irrelevant to the original problem and I'll stop educating you.
It is indeed, now perhaps you can go and educate as you so eloquently phrase it netgear and dlink........No ?
Old 12-10-2008, 23:50   #21
kpanchev
Inactive

Quote:
It is indeed, now perhaps you can go and educate as you so eloquently phrase it netgear and dlink........No ?
Comment ignored as irrelevant and childish...
Old 13-10-2008, 08:32   #22
paulmills
Inactive

paulmills is an unknown quantity at this point

I see the discussion has progressed

OK getting back to the issue...

Router - 192.168.1.1/24
Desktop - 192.168.1.3/24 192.168.1.1
Laptop - 192.168.1.2/24 192.168.1.1
DVR - 192.168.1.4/24 192.168.1.1

DHCP scope = 192.168.1.0/24

No IP conflict as i know nothing can have the static IP address of the DVR and i have done a clear arp and reboot of router. Furthermore, as I have stated the DVR works when I pug directly into router. It just does not work when going through the gaming adapter.

The DVR manufacturers spec the DVR to be able to receive DHCP but i can assure you there is no way of it doing this, it only accepts static ip addresses.

kpanchev - The gaming adapter is a pure Layer2 device and does not have a management address. Plugging in a hub into my router and sniffing using wireshark shows no IP conflict. Futhermore, looking at router diagnostics there are no ip conflicts.

Thank you for your comments so far.

Thanks
P
paulmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2008, 09:56   #23
kpanchev
Inactive

According to the manual for the gaming adaptor, it does have an IP address. (otherwise how do you set up all the wireless settings?) Check this link and see whether you have not missed something. It looks like your wireless link does not work, you say it has worked with a desktop PC, check that the settings have been saved. The part where you connect the XBOX should be replaced with the connection of your DVR.
http://belkin.httpsvc.vitalstreamcdn...20set%20up.pdf
Old 13-10-2008, 10:33   #24
paulmills
Inactive

Intresting! The link that you posted is not the setup i went through. Looks to be different firmware then what i have but it does show L3 configuration.

Just had a more detailed search on the belkin site and found the quick setup manual which i followed
http://belkin.httpsvc.vitalstreamcdn...5d7330_man.pdf

but intrestingly this manual also had an advanced configuration section which reveal exactly what you mentioned, L3 config section. Excellent, exactly what i was hoping for. I'll go home today and configure again knowing this info....

But that still leaves the question as to why my laptop/desktop can plug into the gaming adapter and pickup an ip address in the range of my router dhcp scope but the gaming adapter has an ip address (by default) in a different range?

Thanks for the guidance....
Old 13-10-2008, 10:38   #25
kpanchev
Inactive

Having different ranges of IP addresses on the same physical network does not prevent them from working, it just does not let one range see the other...
Old 13-10-2008, 10:56   #26
paulmills
Inactive

Nope i tell i lie... the wireless gaming adapater and router are on the same network. They would be if they are from the same manufacturer!

Ok now that i can see the config of the switc i'll dig deeper.

Thank you for your time kpanchev, i will post findings tomorrow.
Old 13-10-2008, 11:16   #27
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

I have used the gaming adaptor/bridge and it works fine with a PreN router.

The bridge does have an IP address on 192.168.1.0/24 but when working normally is transparent at IP layer. Router should have a connections screen showing what's connected.

You may be able to connect to bridge over wireless and see what's what there. If you can't see the bridge then maybe that is at fault.

Check NIC on DVR is running with right duplex/packet sizes etc. Is IP switched on?
Old 13-10-2008, 11:25   #28
paulmills
Inactive

Hi tweetiepooh,

The DVR is fairly simple. It's network options limit you to input ip,subnet mask, dns and and default gateway. There are no options for speed/duplex but i would have spotted any speed/duplex issues from the LAN link activity light on the DVR (it would not have been lit?). Like i've mentione earlier, the DVR works fine when plugged direcrlty into router via 50m cat5 cable but does not like the wireless gaming adapter.

Will post findings tonight.
Old 14-10-2008, 10:44   #29
paulmills
Inactive

OK...

after some investigation it looks at though the Avtech DVR does not like a DNS entry.

I realised (through pain) that the DVR is capable of DHCP. Not well documented and GUI is no intuitive or it just maybe that its the first DVR I’ve played with ... so i configured the DVR for DHCP and it worked! Obviously i needed to get it to work with Static as my kids feel the standby button and flashing lights mean "press me"... so when punching in the static info it looks as though the DVR (for some unknown reason to me) does not like a DNS server entry! It is only happy with ip/default gateway and mask

It working now.. slow due to 54Mbps gaming adapter but hey problem solved

But the Belkin router is pretty good compared to others i've worked with in the past...

Thanks for your advice and guidance... much appreciated.

P.s I am correct in saying that Virigin do not provide static ip addresses to residential broadband customers? Has this always been the case and does no Cable provider issue static IP addresses?

Cheers
P
Old 14-10-2008, 12:04   #30
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmills View Post
P.s I am correct in saying that Virigin do not provide static ip addresses to residential broadband customers? Has this always been the case and does no Cable provider issue static IP addresses?
Yep, VM is the only cable provider in the UK barring a few small ones that cover small areas.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote