Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Goodbye Big Daddy Bundle...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media’s New 200Mbps Package Drops to 130Mbps at Peak Times

Old 24-11-2015, 11:07   #1
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Virgin Media’s New 200Mbps Package Drops to 130Mbps at Peak Times

I know this has been alluded many times and in many places, but the 200Mbit service is being particularly affected, it seems:

Quote:
The new information came to light after the operator updated the statistics on their Broadband Speeds information page, which revealed that users of the 200Mbps package achieved an average speed over 24 hours of 170.05Mbps (Megabits per second) and 130.85Mbps during peak times (8pm-10pm).

By comparison customers of the operators 50Mbps package got an average of 51.81Mbps over 24 hours and 47.12Mbps at peak time, while those on the 100Mbps package received an average of 97.18Mbps over 24 hours and 83.93Mbps at peak times.
Sauce: http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php...eak-times.html
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-11-2015, 11:19   #2
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Virgin Media’s New 200Mbps Package Drops to 130Mbps at Peak Times

I have noticed this as well.

If it keeps up, I will be contacting Customer Services.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 11:20   #3
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Interesting, I'm moving back to a VM cabled area shortly and was planning to go for the 200Mbps package, I'm thinking I might as well go for the 150 now...
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 11:32   #4
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

I have yet to see 200mbit, fastest I've seen is about 180Mbit, it seems to hang around 170Mbit. This is actually an improvement than before where I was often hitting speeds of less than 50mbit during peak times.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 11:43   #5
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Hmmm, can't decide whether to give it a go and downgrade if the 200 is no good.

In the past we've always hit the top speeds 99% of the time in our area (NE6) on 50, 100 and 152 so I was hoping it'd be the same for 200 but this issue seems more widespread than the usual area congestion.
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 11:44   #6
ileikcaek
cf.addict

ileikcaek has disabled reputation

I must be one of the luckier ones, I haven't seen my 200Mb/s drop below 200 really, it's generally 209.5Mb/s.
ileikcaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 12:01   #7
Stop It
Inactive

Services: VM Vivid 200 VM XL TV & Sky Sports VM Phone
Stop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of society

Igni just posted these stats on the VM community forum and someone accused him of not knowing what he was talking about. I love a bit of good comedy, but when someone says:
Quote:
Also, since there is no information on where the data is coming from (these aren't speed tests)
When the source is clearly stated as the SK speed box system is oh so fun.
Stop It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 15:04   #8
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Just when I thought I could finally stop insulting VM for having the most visible contention and peak-time congestion of any UK ISP, they turn around and do this.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 15:14   #9
ileikcaek
cf.addict

ileikcaek has disabled reputation

I agree with Qas, my connection may be fine but there's tons of issues with Virgin Media, the peering for one can be absolutely terrible at times and I have noticed a degradation of speeds and pings to other countries (USA & Europe) since some of it has been migrated to Aorta/UPC - Liberty Globals network, my pings have doubled in the last few years too, I used to consistently get 5 - 10ms to London but now it is 15 - 25ms, that may not sound bad but compared to what it was, to have that kind of network degradation seems poor form.
ileikcaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 16:29   #10
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
Interesting, I'm moving back to a VM cabled area shortly and was planning to go for the 200Mbps package, I'm thinking I might as well go for the 150 now...
You probably do right. I'm on 150 and always get about 158.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 17:26   #11
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

150 comes with 10meg upload, I dont think an extra 2meg upload justifies £7 extra per month for 200meg
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 19:08   #12
Daveoc64
cf.addict

Services: Freeview Play, Virgin Media Gig1
Daveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about them

Speed tested 10 minutes ago, can't complain:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4859781241

I can certainly believe that VM hasn't done enough network improvement in busier areas to enable the upgrades.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 19:21   #13
The Installer
cf.addict

Services: Telewest Stuff
The Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to all

Not surprised about this.

Here is my Sam Knows data from the last 7 days, make of it what you will

200meg.PNG
The Installer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 20:25   #14
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Installer View Post
Not surprised about this.

Here is my Sam Knows data from the last 7 days, make of it what you will

Attachment 26395
This is far worse than the "average of 130Mbps" during peak periods .. I have requested to join the SK project and I suspect I will get a similar graph.

I have tried in the past complaining to the VM CEO but since we are into the 4th year of overutilsation, this did not have the desired effect

Should we email the CEP of Liberty Global to see what happens?
Old 24-11-2015, 21:30   #15
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
150 comes with 10meg upload, I dont think an extra 2meg upload justifies £7 extra per month for 200meg
I don't pay any extra.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote