Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Smart Meter, Yae or Nae?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Smart Meter, Yae or Nae?
View Poll Results: Smart Meter Yae or Nae
Yes 18 43.90%
No 18 43.90%
Undecided 5 12.20%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-05-2024, 16:08   #211
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Smart Meter, Yae or Nae?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Like you i have signed up for one. I heard it can take a couple of months. As you may be aware they are free but there are those that have ordered one and then immediately put them on ebay for sale. Anything for a quick buck.
Are you still on the Tracker? It still works out better for me than Agile as there is no hassle, that is great along with this especially if you link both to your account. https://www.octopriceuk.app/tracker

---------- Post added at 16:08 ---------- Previous post was at 16:07 ----------

Quote:
Like you i have signed up for one. I heard it can take a couple of months. As you may be aware they are free but there are those that have ordered one and then immediately put them on ebay for sale. Anything for a quick buck.
Are you still on the Tracker? It still works out better for me than Agile as there is no hassle, that Octopus Compare app is great along with this especially if you link both to your account. https://www.octopriceuk.app/tracker
Old 04-05-2024, 16:21   #212
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Are you still on the Tracker? It still works out better for me than Agile as there is no hassle, that is great along with this especially if you link both to your account. https://www.octopriceuk.app/tracker

---------- Post added at 16:08 ---------- Previous post was at 16:07 ----------

Are you still on the Tracker? It still works out better for me than Agile as there is no hassle, that Octopus Compare app is great along with this especially if you link both to your account. https://www.octopriceuk.app/tracker
I will be staying on tracker this month and will move to Agile next month if the comparator app confirms it is indeed cheaper. As it stands it will save me a minimum £15.00 a month being on Agile

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 16:42   #213
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I will be staying on tracker this month and will move to Agile next month if the comparator app confirms it is indeed cheaper. As it stands it will save me a minimum £15.00 a month being on Agile
I've just checked my Octopus Compare app which has my exact daily usage for Electricity and these are my comparisons for the whole of April, so with my usage times Agile is £2.08 cheaper.

So if you're on Agile which only does Electricity can you also stay on the Tracker for your Gas?

Flexible Tariff cost £47.19
Tracker Tariff cost £37.66

Agile Tariff cost £35.58
Old 05-05-2024, 09:16   #214
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aura

I am already with Octopus Flexible and have today applied to switch over to a duel Tracker account.

Done a quick comparison, probably the 5th or 6th so far this year , and decided to give it a go. If prices spike I can always go back to my safe place ... timorous beastie mode ... so here goes.

Will post when I get my email and then again when I get my switch over date so that anyone considering timescales etc can see the current state of play regarding timings.

Add// Immediately received an email with link to accept the terms and conditions. ✔

WOW double WOW ... Fast moving!!!

Great news, we've switched your gas to Octopus Tracker!

Head to our FAQ's to read more about Tracker and what to expect on your monthly statements.

Octopus Tracker
Tracker gives you the most transparent energy pricing in the UK. Every day, we update the price of your energy based on an independently published wholesale market price. The unit rate is capped at 100p/kWh for electricity and 30p/kWh for gas (including VAT).
Tariff info (all prices include VAT)
Reference SILVER-24-04-03
Starts from 12:00 AM, 5th May 2024
Gas
Unit price Changes daily
Standing charge 27.47p per day
Annual usage
Gas 9,732 kWh

Electricity
Unit price 21.02p per kWh
Standing charge 49.12p per day
Annual usage
Electricity 2,688.2 kWh

..... and breath

Last edited by joglynne; 05-05-2024 at 09:30.
joglynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 12:58   #215
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
I am already with Octopus Flexible and have today applied to switch over to a duel Tracker account.

Done a quick comparison, probably the 5th or 6th so far this year , and decided to give it a go. If prices spike I can always go back to my safe place ... timorous beastie mode ... so here goes.

Will post when I get my email and then again when I get my switch over date so that anyone considering timescales etc can see the current state of play regarding timings.

Add// Immediately received an email with link to accept the terms and conditions. ✔

WOW double WOW ... Fast moving!!!

Great news, we've switched your gas to Octopus Tracker!

Head to our FAQ's to read more about Tracker and what to expect on your monthly statements.

Octopus Tracker
Tracker gives you the most transparent energy pricing in the UK. Every day, we update the price of your energy based on an independently published wholesale market price. The unit rate is capped at 100p/kWh for electricity and 30p/kWh for gas (including VAT).
Tariff info (all prices include VAT)
Reference SILVER-24-04-03
Starts from 12:00 AM, 5th May 2024
Gas
Unit price Changes daily
Standing charge 27.47p per day
Annual usage
Gas 9,732 kWh

Electricity
Unit price 21.02p per kWh
Standing charge 49.12p per day
Annual usage
Electricity 2,688.2 kWh

..... and breath
Welcome to the club!

Yes mine was instant also, the Tracker Tariff is really a no brainer for someone on Octopus with Smart Meters, don't worry about Tracker prices I checked the last 2 years and it stays well below the Flexible Tariff.

Head over to https://www.octopriceuk.app/tracker and if you enter your meter info(it's nothing to worry about) you get the API info from your Octopus account, you can then track the prices for Gas and Electricity for tomorrow as it displays a day in advance eventually, there are also other wizz things you can track in it's hamburger menu top right.
Old 05-05-2024, 14:44   #216
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
I've just checked my Octopus Compare app which has my exact daily usage for Electricity and these are my comparisons for the whole of April, so with my usage times Agile is £2.08 cheaper.

So if you're on Agile which only does Electricity can you also stay on the Tracker for your Gas?

Flexible Tariff cost £47.19

Agile Tariff cost £35.58
Not sure about the gas, i will call them next week to check.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 15:12   #217
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Not sure about the gas, i will call them next week to check.
If you would rather not speak to a human, I always find it easier to email support they have never failed me.
Old 05-05-2024, 19:30   #218
joglynne
Born again teenager.

joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Welcome to the club!

Yes mine was instant also, the Tracker Tariff is really a no brainer for someone on Octopus with Smart Meters, don't worry about Tracker prices I checked the last 2 years and it stays well below the Flexible Tariff.

Head over to https://www.octopriceuk.app/tracker and if you enter your meter info(it's nothing to worry about) you get the API info from your Octopus account, you can then track the prices for Gas and Electricity for tomorrow as it displays a day in advance eventually, there are also other wizz things you can track in it's hamburger menu top right.
I have set up the Octoprice tracker and the octoprice savings. As the tracker account only started from midday to-day I think I will have a better idea of how the figures stack up after the first full week.
Old 05-05-2024, 19:43   #219
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
I have set up the Octoprice tracker and the octoprice savings. As the tracker account only started from midday to-day I think I will have a better idea of how the figures stack up after the first full week.
This is what I see on the Octopus Compare mobile app, between Flexible and Tracker, it only does Electricity though, you can tell when my weekends are and I'm at home all day!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20240505_194012.jpg (468.0 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by SnoopZ; 05-05-2024 at 19:59.
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 09:06   #220
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Quote:
This is what I see on the Octopus Compare mobile app, between Flexible and Tracker, it only does Electricity though, you can tell when my weekends are and I'm at home all day!
I'm still waiting for data from 4th April-> to be uploaded on to the dashboard but the app is setup and ready to go.

I'm definitely in impatient mode.
Old 06-05-2024, 10:06   #221
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
I'm still waiting for data from 4th April-> to be uploaded on to the dashboard but the app is setup and ready to go.

I'm definitely in impatient mode.
When I first went onto Smart Meters I could see I went days of Octopus not requesting the 30min readings from my Gas meter where as all data for my Electricity Meter got uploaded as normal. I did contact support as I was concerned it wasnt working properly and they said when they request the monthly bill they will pull the data from the Meters so not to worry, but they have done that twice now when I requested it and over the last week the data from my Gas gets uploaded daily.

It's a shame Octopus Compare doesn't support Gas readings, but that other site does which I likely use more.

You should go to the link I posted on 4th May regarding signing up for an Octopus Home Mini thingamajig that may come in handy for seeing the data alot quicker.

Last edited by SnoopZ; 06-05-2024 at 10:16.
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 10:52   #222
joglynne
Born again teenager.

I signed up for an Octopus mini yesterday. I only use gas for our central heating with a couple of bowls of hot water a day for washing up. So the 1/2 hour electric monitors have always come in handy.

I used to try to do the saving sessions but during the times they were active there was hardly any electricity being used so gave it up as being a frustrating waste of time for us.
Old 06-05-2024, 11:40   #223
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
I signed up for an Octopus mini yesterday. I only use gas for our central heating with a couple of bowls of hot water a day for washing up. So the 1/2 hour electric monitors have always come in handy.

I used to try to do the saving sessions but during the times they were active there was hardly any electricity being used so gave it up as being a frustrating waste of time for us.
So you don't use gas for baths and showers?
Old 06-05-2024, 11:45   #224
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Don't use the bath and we have an electric shower.
Old 06-05-2024, 12:15   #225
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Don't use the bath and we have an electric shower.
Unit prices seem high for the Tracker at the moment but still 4-5 pence cheaper than variable for Electricity, so don't be put off, for me my rates for tomorrow will be 21.12 for Electricity and 4.21 for Gas but that's still 16% and 30% cheaper in my case.