Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 3.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 3.
Closed Thread

Old 26-08-2012, 18:16   #1096
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 3.

In the same way 10 million households could be 40 million people, and besides, I'm sure an element of time shifting is accounted for-something like all time shifting for a certain period after the first run are included in published viewing figures, aren't they?
Advertisement
Old 26-08-2012, 18:24   #1097
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Just listened to the interview that Den posted and Stuart Murphy said that 25% give SA the reason for choosing Sky. Sounds like a good reason to keep SA exclusive to Sky. But I refuse to give up hope!
Mmmmmm........

Just 8 weeks ago it was:

The launch of Sky Sports's dedicated Formula 1 channel generated 70,000 new subscribers. No equivalent figure is available for Sky Atlantic: the broadcaster's statistic that "12.5% of all new subscribers state Sky Atlantic as their reason for joining" is rather less enlightening.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012...=ILCNETTXT3487

Either Sky have seen a massive jump in people joining for Sky Atlantic in the last 60 days, or the percentages they are quoting are inaccurate.
Old 26-08-2012, 18:26   #1098
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly_ View Post
Sky Atlantic contents is always on Skys top 5 downloads from Anytime+ and has very large time shift figures. In some cases you can quadruple total viewings from just "live" audience figures.
Once again, our thanks to Sky's Marketing Rep on CF for his spin on things....

btw, can you back those figures up, as they don't appear to be available to the general public?

btw2, according to Jeremy Darroch in the Sky Results (top of page 7) for year ending 30th June 2012, Sky Anytime+
Quote:
have now surpassed one million active users in total.
So according to you, all the active users watched The Borgias...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 26-08-2012, 18:26   #1099
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly_ View Post
Sky Atlantic contents is always on Skys top 5 downloads from Anytime+ and has very large time shift figures. In some cases you can quadruple total viewings from just "live" audience figures.
You could multiply some of the viewing figures by 10 and they still wouldn't be particularly strong.

Anyway, the same could be said for content from most channels too. Eastenders might pull in 7 millions viewers per episode, but time shift and on demand viewings might push the overall figures up to 11 million views.
Old 26-08-2012, 18:33   #1100
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
25% of Sky customers is at least 2.5 million. And yet, again I think this is right, the highest ever audience for any Atlantic show was about 750,000? I'm sure Muppetman will be quick to correct my figures if they're wrong, but it sort of suggests that more people say they want the channel than actually find anything to watch on it..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Strange - the viewing figures don't seem to reflect this, as 10 million households have Sky Atlantic, as the Borgias had 243k viewers, the Newsroom 141k viewers, and Alan Partridge had 131k viewers on the week of August 12th

I think we were all thinking the same.

But It's possible that their advertising works and Atlantic is percieved as a 'have to have' channel, driving 25% of customers making a provider choice.

After all, people getting some 'have to have' item, and then finding that the advertising or indeed the item itself, does not live up to their expectations is far from uncommon and whatever it is, remains largely unused.
Old 26-08-2012, 18:49   #1101
andy_m
cf.mega poster

andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
I think we were all thinking the same.

But It's possible that their advertising works and Atlantic is percieved as a 'have to have' channel, driving 25% of customers making a provider choice.

After all, people getting some 'have to have' item, and then finding that the advertising or indeed the item itself, does not live up to their expectations is far from uncommon and whatever it is, remains largely unused.
Spot on. Sky are doing an excellent job of marketing this channel if its driving even 12.5% of new subs, but I personally am still to be convinced that the programming is enough of a reason to go back. Not, of course that viewing figures everything, and they're certainly not a guarantee of quality, but as far as I'm concerned there have been just one show since the channel launched that I'd have liked to have seen, and I'm prepared to wait for dvd. And the reason that I'm prepared to wait is precisely the fact that nobody else is watching it anyway so I'm not missing out on all the TV chat with my friends, or having to ask them not to give away any spoilers.
Old 26-08-2012, 18:52   #1102
Chad
cf.mega poster

Another thing to consider about SKY Atlantic is how many Virgin customers would actually watch the programming?

Many of the shows on SKY Atlantic would be brand new to Virgin customers. The big problem however is the likes of Blue Bloods, Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones and The Borgias are already well into season 2, or season 3 will be starting soon. No Virgin customer is likely to jump on these shows, or any of the other SKY Atlantic exclusive shows, as they've simply missed too many episodes to embrace the programme.

Imagine how difficult it would be to get into Game of Thrones without seeing season 1 or 2?

Even joining SKY to get access to SKY Atlantic and these programmes would give you the same problem unless every episode of every season of every SKY Atlantic show is available on SKY Anytime+. But even then you'd need to have an unlimited broadband internet connection to watch all the shows. Got to remember, not everyone who has SKY or Virgin actually have the internet.
Old 26-08-2012, 19:10   #1103
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

New Channel update.

My Insider has today give me the names of channels that Virgin Media hope to launch in October.

But the names has been put on a 'Do not post yet' meaning I cant post until an later date.

But I can confirm Virgin may launch more than 7 new SD or HD Channels.

Note to all:

Some channels has been confirmed as launching in October.
Some channels has been confirmed but may not launch in October.
Some channels deals has still to be signed.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Old 26-08-2012, 19:12   #1104
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Exciting Mb, cheers!
Old 26-08-2012, 19:18   #1105
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Even joining SKY to get access to SKY Atlantic and these programmes would give you the same problem unless every episode of every season of every SKY Atlantic show is available on SKY Anytime+.
A lot of the shows are aired again , the full season. I've watched Blue Bloods this way , Season 1 ended and straight into season 2 so I'll be ready for the forthcoming Season 3.

Quote:
But even then you'd need to have an unlimited broadband internet connection to watch all the shows. Got to remember, not everyone who has SKY or Virgin actually have the internet.
Not a problem Sky's BB is completely unlimited so you can download as much On Demand content as you want without being throttled or sent an advisory letter.
Old 26-08-2012, 19:23   #1106
Chad
cf.mega poster

Virgin customers can enjoy some former SKY Atlantic programming as Smash starts it's run on SKY Living from 9pm tonight.

I wonder what the figures for the show will be?

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/rating...041672.article

"Smash, Sky Atlantic’s drama about the fictional Broadway production of the life of Marilyn Monroe, is recovering well via the PVR.

On Saturday 28 April at 10pm, episode two’s live rating, as is often the Sky Atlantic way, registered a titchy number: 62,000 / 0.31%. After recording, however, it looked much more perky, with a rating of 232,000 / 1%."
Old 26-08-2012, 19:24   #1107
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Another thing to consider about SKY Atlantic is how many Virgin customers would actually watch the programming?
It'll be similar to the satellite Sky 1 audience, I suspect. In the end there are only one or two programmes per week that people want to watch.
Old 26-08-2012, 19:36   #1108
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Not a problem Sky's BB is completely unlimited so you can download as much On Demand content as you want without being throttled or sent an advisory letter.
The point I was making is people who just have TV, and don't have a PC or iPad or ever use the internet would need to take a broadband connection to enjoy the full selection of on demand content.

I suppose if everything is repeated over and over again people wouldn't need SKY Anytime+. Sounds like they'd have ample opportunities to catch it at sometime.

---------- Post added at 19:36 ---------- Previous post was at 19:30 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
It'll be similar to the satellite Sky 1 audience, I suspect. In the end there are only one or two programmes per week that people want to watch.
It might do a little better as Talk Talk customers now have access to SKY Living too.

I wonder if SKY will use this as an opportunity to advertise SKY Atlantic? I suspect we might see an advert for SKY Atlantic during every commercial break.
Old 26-08-2012, 19:43   #1109
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Virgin customers can enjoy some former SKY Atlantic programming as Smash starts it's run on SKY Living from 9pm tonight.
."
It actually started a week ago on Living (airs Mondays), This must be a repeat episode.
Old 26-08-2012, 19:48   #1110
Jameseh

Quote:
It might do a little better as Talk Talk customers now have access to SKY Living too.
I doubt many people will have access via TT, you can only access non-Freeview channels via an app on the YouView box and you can't even record.

Closed Thread