Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | GPRS Costs?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

GPRS Costs?

Old 16-01-2008, 13:14   #16
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Re: GPRS Costs?

I've ordered one for a fiver Dragon, - was going to stick a free T-Mobile Sim in it for GPRS use at £1 a day.

I had heard a rumor on line that Virgin are looking at rejigging their price plans at the end of the month. One of the rumors is that if you have their XL package you'll get 50MB of GPRS added to your account but to be honest I'm not too sure if I believe that.

Anyway I've ordered by dual sim card so I can check some web pages and if I decide to take up the 3 offer at £10 a month I can just try that in my phone also.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-01-2008, 14:24   #17
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
I've ordered one for a fiver Dragon, - was going to stick a free T-Mobile Sim in it for GPRS use at £1 a day.

I had heard a rumor on line that Virgin are looking at rejigging their price plans at the end of the month. One of the rumors is that if you have their XL package you'll get 50MB of GPRS added to your account but to be honest I'm not too sure if I believe that.

Anyway I've ordered by dual sim card so I can check some web pages and if I decide to take up the 3 offer at £10 a month I can just try that in my phone also.
Let me know how well it works will ya?
I have a t-mobile WNW+ account with an e220 modem but I was tempted to put the sim in my phone (even though my phone doesn't have HSDPA like the modem)

Currently I have 2 contracts one with vodafone for voice and one with t-mobile for data so I can't yet switch completely untill my commitment on my vodafone contract expires.

(i'll probably change to t-mobile for voice or change to 3 for both voice/data vodafone aren't very good for data pricing, but in the meantime If I could use my data sim in my phone it could come in handy)
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 14:33   #18
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Once it arrives I'll give you all a review.

I'm wondering now if I divert unanswered calls on my VM sim to the T-mobile one will any min used come out of my allowance. That way I'd not miss any calls while using the other sim for data.

Admittedly I'd have to switch back for texts but that's not such a problem.
Old 17-01-2008, 00:09   #19
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Once it arrives I'll give you all a review.

I'm wondering now if I divert unanswered calls on my VM sim to the T-mobile one will any min used come out of my allowance. That way I'd not miss any calls while using the other sim for data.

Admittedly I'd have to switch back for texts but that's not such a problem.
I believe it basically treats it the same way as if you were to call the other number yourself so in theory it should do, Probably best to check with VM first though
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 05:35   #20
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array

Two issues I see here, 1 is dependent on the phone you have, and one is dependent on the sim adapter you ordered...

1) The phone, are you still using the XDA IIi? if so it's a GPRS only GSM handset, it doesn't support 3g connectivity (UMTS) which is the 3 network. You would be using 3's fallback network to access data (used to be O2 at one point) so not sure how your data costs may be affected, you would need a 3g capable phone such as the HTC Tytn, TytnII, Touch (and variants) or Universal in order to make use of 3g.

2) Does the sim adapter require that the original sims are trimmed to fit it? if so then you have a problem, the 3 sim is a USIM which has a bigger chip behind the gold contacts and cannot be safely trimmed to fit the compact dual sim holders.

Be careful.

I will assume the phone is already unlocked as it's being used on VM (T-Mobile) at the moment.

If you need a 3g phone I know someone who is selling a HTC Universal (XDA Exec) and someone else who is selling a HTC Tytn (Orange SPV M3100) at the moment. Both are fully unlocked.

[edit] less than relevant as I spotted you are ordering a T-Mobile sim heh, as long as it's not a USIM for T-Mobile 3g access you should be fine.
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 10:39   #21
hardtarget
Inactive

hardtarget is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycee View Post
I have used a 300min / 300 text sim in my phone for about 15 months.

I have set the connections as:
GPRS connects to WAP network
DIAL UP connects to The Internet.

This means if I use Internet Explorer or Opera Mini to view web pages (with or without images) the charge is just deducted from my minutes allowance.

OK, it's slow but it does work and pages can be read off-line after downloading page has completed.
where do you get the wap settings(the old wap where it phones up the network instead of gprs)?

looked everywhere but all i can find are gprs settings,

phone is nokia 6230
hardtarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 20:54   #22
Shaun
Inactive

http://www.nokia.co.uk/phonesettings

---------- Post added at 20:54 ---------- Previous post was at 20:53 ----------

Not that I'd bother using them on the VM sim.
Old 19-01-2008, 11:14   #23
tonycee
cf.member

Services: V6 100 broadband
tonycee is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtarget View Post
where do you get the wap settings(the old wap where it phones up the network instead of gprs)?

looked everywhere but all i can find are gprs settings,

phone is nokia 6230
The Dial-Up number is 07953968988
tonycee is offline   Reply With Quote