Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Nintendo recall 3.2m wrist straps

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Nintendo Games Systems
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Nintendo recall 3.2m wrist straps

Old 15-12-2006, 08:11   #1
NEONKNIGHT

Exclamation Nintendo recall 3.2m wrist straps

News from the BBC :- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6182013.stm

Quote:
Japanese games firm Nintendo is recalling more than three million straps for its new Wii console.
The announcement follows scores of complaints about the wrist straps breaking during use.

The strap is connected to a motion sensitive controller which is used to control the on-screen action.

There have been many reports of Wii controllers slipping out of hands and smashing TVs and windows - although some of the photos online are faked.

No information was immediately available about how customers can return their Wii straps.
Advertisement
Old 15-12-2006, 19:35   #2
deathtrap3000
Inactive

Services: V+ HD XL BT Infinity 80mbps
deathtrap3000 will become famous soon enoughdeathtrap3000 will become famous soon enoughdeathtrap3000 will become famous soon enough
Re: Nintendo recall 3.2m wrist straps

I nearly laughed myself to death when i herd the news. I find it hard to believe that nintendo underestimated the ability of the consumer to go crazy with some products.
deathtrap3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2006, 11:58   #3
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars

I think it's more a case of Nintendo underestimating the idiocy of some people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC
the strap broke and the controller shot off and hit my partner in the face resulting in two broken teeth. She slipped at the same time falling into the TV set and smashing the screen. The TV was plugged into the surround sound system and consequently pulled it over and smashing into my CD and DVD collection. I advise anyone to be careful of the wii.
Jenny Howard, Beijing China
I'm sorry but this can't be for real!

Sounds to me, in most of these cases, that the people are simply doing an insurance scam.
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2006, 13:36   #4
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Some info about getting replacements.

Phone: 0870 6060247 (National Rate)
Email: wiiwriststrap@codestorm.co.uk
Address: Wii Wrist Strap, Nintendo Service Centre, CoDEStorm House, Walton Road, Farlington, PO6 1TR

Wii owners outside the UK should visit the Nintendo website for country specific information
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2006, 14:21   #5
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
I think it's more a case of Nintendo underestimating the idiocy of some people.

I'm sorry but this can't be for real!

Sounds to me, in most of these cases, that the people are simply doing an insurance scam.
Yeah... How can her slipping be the fault of Nintendo and a faulty strap?
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2006, 14:44   #6
Nikesh
Inactive

Nikesh has reached the bronze age
Nikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
Yeah... How can her slipping be the fault of Nintendo and a faulty strap?
Totally agree, some people are just too stupid.
Nikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2006, 01:10   #7
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Just for info...

http://www.officialnintendomagazine....206_wrist.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Official Nintendo Magazine
Wrist strap recall rumours are false

Nintendo has denied BBC reports of a Wii wrist strap recall. While Nintendo refuted claims that 3 million straps had been recalled it will be providing replacement wrist straps free of charge for anyone who has broken theirs.

Nintendo released a statement this morning, saying: "This is not a recall - it's a voluntary exchange programme. There is no problem with the wrist strap as long as the Wii Remote is used sensibly and properly in accordance with the guidelines provided by Nintendo. However, we will be providing replacement wrist straps free of charge to consumers who request them."

"Consumers who break their wrist straps and consumers who are worried about their wrist strap should contact their nearest Nintendo Service Centre on 0870 6060247."
Old 18-12-2006, 18:03   #8
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Further to my previous post, here's an online form where you can request up to 4 replacement straps...

http://wii.nintendo.co.uk/6315.html

You'll need the serial number from the base of the console to proceed with the request.

Gonna order 4 even though our console is wrapped up ready to go under the tree.