Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Doctor Who : 2008 & 2009 Specials

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Doctor Who : 2008 & 2009 Specials

Old 26-12-2009, 22:26   #226
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Doctor Who : 2008 & 2009 Specials

"Daleks' Invasion Earth: 2150 AD" isn't part of the same continuity as the DW TV series.

--------------

Strangely, "Wilfred Mott" is an anagram of "Timelord FTW" (or also "Timelord WTF")...

--------------
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-12-2009, 22:59   #227
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
"Daleks' Invasion Earth: 2150 AD" isn't part of the same continuity as the DW TV series.
... and in the canonical version of that story (the Hartenll-era 'Dalek invasion of Earth'), the character doesn't feature.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2009, 23:14   #228
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Indeed, they even get several things wrong. Not least the fact that the Doctor actually has the surname "Who" in the films (he has a name in the TV series, but it is not "Who" and is never used due to it apparently being beyond the comprehension of humans) and the fact that he is human in the films..
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 00:17   #229
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

They were simply made to cash in on the success of the TV series, as they were just movies of two existing Dalek stories from the 1st Doctor era.
Old 27-12-2009, 10:17   #230
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
Indeed, they even get several things wrong. Not least the fact that the Doctor actually has the surname "Who" in the films (he has a name in the TV series, but it is not "Who" and is never used due to it apparently being beyond the comprehension of humans) and the fact that he is human in the films..
They didn't get anything 'wrong' per se ... they were simply 'based upon' the TV series, rather than being straight re-makes. Much the same way as a novel made into a feature film is rarely 100% like-for-like.
Old 27-12-2009, 10:21   #231
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

I got round to watching part one last night. It was ok I guess.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 10:22   #232
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
It wasn't that it was poor, I am sure seeing the 2nd part it will make it a lot better.

Usually the first part of something can just be a story build up and until you see the final part of the story you can feel a little let down.

The Doctors breakdown in the cafe with Wilf was one of the best scenes imo.
Absolutely, there was plenty for the backstory/continuity junkies in this episode ... the Doctor reflecting on the consequences of regeneration is absolute gold. There was also a throwaway mention of a place-name on Gallifrey (plains of something, I didn't catch it - did anyone else?), and the revelation that the Master's father owned a big estate, and the Master and the Doctor used to play together on it when they were children.

I love all that stuff - the show has been around so long now, it really does deserve to have the same sort of depth as Middle Earth, and I think RTD has been a genius at drawing together all the fragmented bits and pieces of background that were part of the original series more by accident or convenience than by design, and tying them together with new and exciting glimpses of places we can now only hope to see on screen in the future.
Old 27-12-2009, 10:30   #233
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

I'd rather the just cancelled it when it was on a high (and I don't count this years specials as all that good so far) instead it seems to be heading for a reboot.

Still I thought galactica was going to be crap - so we shall see.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 19:55   #234
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

OH YES!!!!

You just gotta love the "NOT GINGER" comment

I wonder how many will complain about that
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 19:57   #235
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas T View Post
I'd rather the just cancelled it when it was on a high (and I don't count this years specials as all that good so far) instead it seems to be heading for a reboot.

Still I thought galactica was going to be crap - so we shall see.
Steven Moffatt has written some of the best episodes in the new series. It doesn't automatically follow he will be a good replacement for Russell T Davis (who, IMO, isn't a great script writer, but has done a damn good job running the show).

It will be interesting to see any changes.

It's funny talking about this as a "reboot". The show has changed massively after every regeneration. While John Pertwee was the doctor, the show was very action-orientated, with the Doctor often getting involved in fights. While Tom Baker was the Doctor, then the show varied between being a comedy, action show and horror (often in the same story), while under Peter Davison, the show became more serious, and often more violent.

Stiil, as you say, we shall see.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 20:01   #236
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Very very good episode, I think they dragged the ending out a far though.

Not sure about having a Doctor who looks about 14. But let's give him a chance

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 20:02   #237
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Seeing the TARDIS interior getting trashed makes sense.

I heard that the interior gets a revamp.

I won't comment on MS as the new Dr, because I pre judged DT and was wrong.
Old 01-01-2010, 20:14   #238
Matty_
cf.geek

Matty_ has reached the bronze age
Matty_ has reached the bronze ageMatty_ has reached the bronze ageMatty_ has reached the bronze ageMatty_ has reached the bronze ageMatty_ has reached the bronze ageMatty_ has reached the bronze ageMatty_ has reached the bronze age

Didn`t really like the bit with John Barrowman in it, seemed like a Star-Wars rip off with all them aliens walking round a boozer(maybe that was deliberate!).
All in all an enjoyable watch, dragged the ending out a bit though!
Matty_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 20:36   #239
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
OH YES!!!!

You just gotta love the "NOT GINGER" comment

I wonder how many will complain about that
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 20:44   #240
sir_drinks_alot
Inactive

Services: WNYC
sir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze age
sir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze age

that was very good !
sir_drinks_alot is offline   Reply With Quote