Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview
Register FAQ Community Calendar

B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

Old 30-10-2011, 17:40   #451
teddybear154
Inactive

teddybear154 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

It does not say any thing in the instructions or manuals about what usb devices or what formats it will read that's the problem. I guess ill have to contact Ross to find out.
teddybear154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-10-2011, 18:10   #452
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

All I can suggest is for you to try differing formats on the card (or if the ross box has a format util you format it in that first)
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 19:42   #453
AZIMUTH
Inactive

AZIMUTH is on a distinguished roadAZIMUTH is on a distinguished road

teddybear,,,ive had the blank screen syndrome,with 80%strength and 40% qual.latest was boxnation,i had to go into menu,sattelite and retune all stations again.it seems the ross doesnt have the ability to tune in just one channel.i get all the channels,,300 etc but my best reception is strength 80% quality54%.ive never managed 60%but i get all the channels
AZIMUTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:03   #454
teddybear154
Inactive

I finally got it working. I finally managed to get it to recognise my hard drive after formatting it many times in different formats and did a firmware upgrade. Then I re tuned and could get a picture on all channels. It worked fine the last few days but now I have a new problem. I was watching TV using the Ross free sat last night. Then put it in standby and switched TV off to go to bed. This morning my husband got up and tried to watch the news before going to work and it has completely stopped working. It just says no signal. When you go in to the dish settings it says level 25% quality 0%. I have checked the cable had not come loose and even un screwed it from receiver and re screwed it. I checked the dish had not moved and it hadn't. I checked the rest of cable for any damaged and checked it was connected to Lnb correctly which it was. I then switched the box off and then on again but it made no difference, I have even done a factory reset on the receiver box, But it made no difference. I have a old sky hd box so tried connecting the dish to this but could not get a signal on this either. I don't know if this is because need two cables from dish connected or not. So what could the problem be. Is it most likely another faulty Lnb or do you think the receiver box might be faulty. Has any one else had this problem. IS it worth buying another Lnb to try. Any advice would be much appreciated

thanks in advance
Old 05-11-2011, 07:44   #455
FulhamBoy
Inactive

FulhamBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

What PC is the USB formatted on? The USB format is Windows 32 and 64 bit I believe. So if you are running Linux or Mac you may have this problem.
FulhamBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:49   #456
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddybear154 View Post
I finally got it working. I finally managed to get it to recognise my hard drive after formatting it many times in different formats and did a firmware upgrade. Then I re tuned and could get a picture on all channels. It worked fine the last few days but now I have a new problem. I was watching TV using the Ross free sat last night. Then put it in standby and switched TV off to go to bed. This morning my husband got up and tried to watch the news before going to work and it has completely stopped working. It just says no signal. When you go in to the dish settings it says level 25% quality 0%. I have checked the cable had not come loose and even un screwed it from receiver and re screwed it. I checked the dish had not moved and it hadn't. I checked the rest of cable for any damaged and checked it was connected to Lnb correctly which it was. I then switched the box off and then on again but it made no difference, I have even done a factory reset on the receiver box, But it made no difference. I have a old sky hd box so tried connecting the dish to this but could not get a signal on this either. I don't know if this is because need two cables from dish connected or not. So what could the problem be. Is it most likely another faulty Lnb or do you think the receiver box might be faulty. Has any one else had this problem. IS it worth buying another Lnb to try. Any advice would be much appreciated

thanks in advance
When you wired up the system you did seal off the external cable connection with self amalgamating tape or a barrier sealant against inclement weather??
Old 05-11-2011, 11:12   #457
teddybear154
Inactive

the set came with rubber cover things that you slide on to cable then once you have screwed cable to Lnb, you pull this rubber cover up over it. to hide and seal conection from cable to Lnb. This is what I used was this not good enough. Should I have used some kind of sealant as well. Do you think moisture has got in to it or some thing.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:14   #458
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I guess it would depend how snug a fit the rubber cuff gave. It sounds to me like it's probably ok. Self amalgamating tape would be best, but the most important thing is not to leave the connector bare, or wrapped with just any old tape that would lose its stick very quickly.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 01:59   #459
Grandad56
Inactive

Grandad56 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, thought I would add my experience of the Ross SD system. It was on offer at B&Q for £25. I bought it and dutifully read the instructions. I mounted the dish on my south facing wall and aligned it to the correct satellite, (so I thought). I got 70% signal strenght and 65% signal quality. The receiver started to add channels. Great I thought, but no BBC, ITV etc. Various visits to internet sites and I was starting to understand that this was not going to be as simple as I thought. Suspected I might be either hitting the wrong sat, or maybe the roof of the old peoples home opposite was in the line of site. I made an extension to the wall fitting, no change, even tried realigning, but signal strenth meter was unable to find anything at other locations. Using the data from the Lyngsat site, I created a new list of TPs and discovered that if the polarity was V, I had to change it to H and vice versa. Another disturbing feature was the remote kept switching my music center on? I then purchased a Bush Freesat box from Argos. It wouldn't accept my postcode and when using the default setting, it added all the channels, but either generated 'No Signal' or 'Service not available' I swapped it for a Goodmans box as the support line suspected it might be duff, same problem and the time was an hour behind? If I added the channels with TP, frequencies and Polarity, (again changing V to H and vice versa), I got good reception in non Freesat mode and the relevant channels became available in Freesat mode, also the time was correct. Lack of EPG prompted me to purchase a Sky type dish with quad LNB from Ebay and once aligned, I connected the Goodmans box. Lo and behold, it worked first time. I can only assume that the LNB on the Ross dish was faulty. I intend to purchase an HD box for the TV in the living room and use the SD in the kitchen. Will I buy the Ross HD box? I don't think so.
Grandad56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 08:16   #460
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

The sad irony is, this thread has now been going for two years and there have been plenty of examples in it of both the Ross boxes and the LNBs B&Q supplies with them being dodgy. Unfortunately people only tend to go searching the web for information after it all goes wrong.

I don't know if maybe living miles from a superstore of any kind has made a difference to me, but I never go out to buy any tech without thoroughly researching it online first. Mind you a lot of the time I don't go out to buy it even then, I usually end up buying it online.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the best free satellite TV experience for someone who just wants to switch it on and watch it with minimum hassle and enjoy a service that is as familiar as Freeview is to buy a box that carries the Freesat brand. Then either pay an aerial installer to do the dish (because it really isn't as simple as mounting a traditional tv aerial) or else get kit from a reputable online retailer like Maplin or similar.

Yes, branded Freesat costs more, but you get what you pay for.
Old 15-11-2011, 19:21   #461
AZIMUTH
Inactive

The irony is that only the Ross failures tend to get a mention on this site.The many satisfied Ross customers are too busy watching the telly to bother expounding the virtues of their system in this forum.anyway it gives the forum fanatics something to chat about,,,,,,,cant be bad if its lasted for 2years!

---------- Post added at 19:21 ---------- Previous post was at 19:19 ----------

ps.mines a Ross ,,,,,,,,,and it works great....
Old 15-11-2011, 20:03   #462
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZIMUTH View Post

ps.mines a Ross ,,,,,,,,,and it works great....
Really ... so, what's on TV tomorrow night, then?
Old 15-11-2011, 20:06   #463
Kymmy
Inactive

My 7 day epg works on my FTA box Chris... but then again it's not a Ross
Old 17-11-2011, 16:11   #464
AZIMUTH
Inactive

HIDEY HI Chris,,,,,,the sad irony is i always thought Maplins was a holiday camp,,,,,no wonder i bought a cheapo from B&Q
Old 20-11-2011, 17:26   #465
Kymmy
Inactive

In the end the Ross box is a good introduction into sat tv reception.. Unlike freesat where everything is done for you Ross and other FTA boxes teach you how to set up the dish and box for single or multiple sat reception.