Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Brexit discussion
Closed Thread

Old 28-10-2017, 12:42   #496
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Brexit discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Cracks are growing far and wide, as they should, EU is a totally corrupt and failed project.
Well it's obvious that cracks had been appearing before Brexit and is the real answer to those, more of the same? If the EU has actually committed to changing course on anything much could someone let us know because I can't see much evidence of it which begs the question 'how big do the cracks have to become before they do?'
Advertisement
Old 28-10-2017, 12:44   #497
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

I don’t think Catalonia has much to do with the EU. This division has been there for longer than the EU has been in existence.
Old 28-10-2017, 14:54   #498
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I don’t think Catalonia has much to do with the EU. This division has been there for longer than the EU has been in existence.
The Catalonia problem certainly has been around much longer but everything that happens within the EU has something to do with it and the way in which they handle it and any repercussions, as with Brexit, will say a lot about them. Good or bad only time will tell.
Old 28-10-2017, 15:34   #499
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
If Catalonia is successful in their desire for independence, surely they will also cease to be a member of the EU.

If they decide not to negotiate to join the EU, will this be viewed as a further crack in the concept of the whole thing?
I'm not sure that the existing EU member states would allow Catalonia to join as it could encourage break-away regions in other countries.
Old 28-10-2017, 16:57   #500
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I'm not sure that the existing EU member states would allow Catalonia to join as it could encourage break-away regions in other countries.
You make a good point Andrew.
Old 28-10-2017, 17:01   #501
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Catalonians are pulling down EU flags, who says they want to part of those corrupt imbeciles ?
Old 29-10-2017, 13:21   #502
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

https://twitter.com/YesBrexit/status/924558911423893505

"So, now it's official. Stupid people voted for #Brexit. Well, so says Labour MP @BarrySheerman. Pathetic."

Remoaning Labour MP must be a buddy of Mr K and Andrew...etc

I wonder which 'stupid' people voted this numpty to be an MP.
Old 29-10-2017, 13:32   #503
Osem
Inactive

Quote:

"So, now it's official. Stupid people voted for #Brexit. Well, so says Labour MP @BarrySheerman. Pathetic."

Did we really think these people had gone away, changed their views, accepted the process and done away with the nastiness, condescension and name calling? It's the same with migration control being conflated with racism. We're told we can have an adult debate about it but when we try to the same old accusations start flying around from the likes of Lewis and Abbott. Some things never change and the contempt some of these people hold large sections of the public in is one such. They'll say anything when it suits them for some reason but their true feelings and agenda never change.

Last edited by Osem; 29-10-2017 at 14:51.
Old 29-10-2017, 13:32   #504
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:

He didn't say that according to your clip He said better educated. The two are different things. YouGov conducted a year-long analysis on this matter and their report backs up what he says.
Old 29-10-2017, 13:49   #505
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
He didn't say that according to your clip He said better educated. The two are different things. YouGov conducted a year-long analysis on this matter and their report backs up what he says.
No it doesn't and no they aren't two different things at all.

Like another MP replied to him in the clip, The 'Better Educated' voted for remain, is a connotation for those who voted leave are thick.

Anyway, I like the following reply to him...

Quote:
Replying to @BarrySheerman @BBCLookNorth

I'm a Brexiteer with [only] two Oxford doctorates!!!!
Old 29-10-2017, 14:02   #506
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

The full article is worth a read. Ipsos Mori is the UK's second largest market research company.
Quote:
The detailed survey of 4,000 voters by Ipsos Mori, conducted over the course of the past year and published on Tuesday, identifies the disparate groups that make up the Leave and Remain camps, as well as those who fall somewhere in between.
The Financial Times has looked at the groups and assessed how their characteristics and experiences influenced their votes for or against Brexit.
Education levels, attitudes towards immigration and the rural-urban divide emerge the strongest factors when all groups are considered, while others, such as age, social class and party allegiance had a more nuanced effect on voter behaviour.
https://www.ft.com/content/61c12868-...8-73d59db9e399

---------- Post added at 14:02 ---------- Previous post was at 13:58 ----------

Quote:
No it doesn't and no they aren't two different things at all.

Like another MP replied to him in the clip, The 'Better Educated' voted for remain, is a connotation for those who voted leave are thick.

Anyway, I like the following reply to him...
There's plenty of less well-educated people I know who are cleverer than those who have gone to university. The two are entirely different things and people shouldn't take offence when none is intended. That's political correctness gone mad!
Old 29-10-2017, 14:32   #507
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
The full article is worth a read. Ipsos Mori is the UK's second largest market research company.

https://www.ft.com/content/61c12868-...8-73d59db9e399

There's plenty of less well-educated people I know who are cleverer than those who have gone to university. The two are entirely different things and people shouldn't take offence when none is intended. That's political correctness gone mad!

Old 29-10-2017, 16:24   #508
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

I'm sure that person would point out that a 4000-strong cohort is far more statistically significant than a cohort of one.

---------- Post added at 16:13 ---------- Previous post was at 16:07 ----------

I see this thread has degenerated again. Look, it's fact, level of education correlated well with voting remain. Obviously not everyone who voted leave was thick, I'd like to think I'm not, but thick people were more likely to vote leave. This has been the unanimous conclusion of every survey, poll, etc.

This has been shown time and time again.

Remain voters I thought were the out of touch metropolitan elite. This would go along with education level.

---------- Post added at 16:20 ---------- Previous post was at 16:13 ----------

Quote:
Cracks are growing far and wide, as they should, EU is a totally corrupt and failed project.
Wanting the EU to implode in chaos is insanity. Far better for the UK and the world that it fixes its many problems. Wanting it to implode is a view held by those thankfully on the fringes of political discourse. It would cause utter chaos and economic and social harm to millions.

---------- Post added at 16:24 ---------- Previous post was at 16:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
You make a good point Andrew.
Same reason they were cool on Scotland inheriting UK membership.
Old 29-10-2017, 17:12   #509
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post

Wanting the EU to implode in chaos is insanity. Far better for the UK and the world that it fixes its many problems. Wanting it to implode is a view held by those thankfully on the fringes of political discourse.
In terms of the EU, I think fringes is putting it mildly, it's a bit more than that.

But once upon a time, I was with you in terms of opinion, up to a certain point. I wanted the EU to reform, fix themselves as you put it and they had a chance to prove themselves, prior to June 23rd 2016 and they point blank refused, so now, yes, I no longer care about the EU and what leaving it will entail.
Old 29-10-2017, 17:18   #510
Osem
Inactive

The last thing I want is the EU to implode which is precisely why I've been consistent in wanting them to compromise on their vision of the future. I still do because it could still be a great thing.
Closed Thread