Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Nextdoors wireless ARRGH!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Nextdoors wireless ARRGH!

Old 16-01-2009, 09:01   #1
chrisjones
Inactive

Services: 100mb BB TiVo 500gb TV L Phone - Evening / Weekends
chrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to chrisjones Send a message via MSN to chrisjones Send a message via Yahoo to chrisjones
Nextdoors wireless ARRGH!

Ok, I'm running Vista, got my wireless network set up nice and secure. Same can't be said for my neighbors who have a VM 2mb line running wireless for the whole street to share lol. Problem is I can't for the life of me stop my laptop connecting to their connection by default, ive tried clicking everything that seems obvious with regards to connection to my 10mb line, but to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.

.......... one thing I can say is at least its keeping my download limits in check, the amout of times my signal disconnects and re-connects with nextdoor!! lol... and its not like I'm even doing it on purpose to be cheeky! Ive tried pointing this out to my neighbor but they seem totally oblivious to the problem.
chrisjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-01-2009, 09:03   #2
southwell
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Virgin Phone + 50mb
southwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Nextdoors wireless ARRGH!

Start menu
Control panel
Network Connections
Right click wireless connection and select properties
Choose wireless networks tab
Delete their connection.

Voila!
southwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 09:04   #3
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Tell them to set security up on their wireless.... also you should have your own security...that way they'd be no accidental connections
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 09:14   #4
chrisjones
Inactive

chrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to chrisjones Send a message via MSN to chrisjones Send a message via Yahoo to chrisjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwell View Post
Start menu
Control panel
Network Connections
Right click wireless connection and select properties
Choose wireless networks tab
Delete their connection.

Voila!
Done this many times, but my lappy is running some acer software that seems to pick up signals wherever I go. Its actually quite useful when I'm out and about so I may just have to suck it and stick with swapping manually.

---------- Post added at 09:14 ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Tell them to set security up on their wireless.... also you should have your own security...that way they'd be no accidental connections
Have told them several times, and my connection is perfectly secure.
Old 16-01-2009, 09:20   #5
southwell
Inactive

southwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation era

Then you need to do the same thing from the Acer software.
Old 16-01-2009, 09:36   #6
hokkers999
cf.addict

hokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Maybe they leave it open deliberately? It's called altruism.
hokkers999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 09:42   #7
OldGeezer
Inactive

OldGeezer will become famous soon enoughOldGeezer will become famous soon enoughOldGeezer will become famous soon enough

Network and Sharing Centre -> Manage Wireless Networks
Select your network and move it to the top of the list.
OldGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 09:45   #8
chrisjones
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGeezer View Post
Network and Sharing Centre -> Manage Wireless Networks
Select your network and move it to the top of the list.
Thanks will take a nosey
Old 16-01-2009, 09:50   #9
southwell
Inactive

O yeah, it's vista . Yes do those steps.
Old 16-01-2009, 12:00   #10
RubberyDuck
Inactive

Services: Sky HD & XL TV (V+), XXL BB, XL Phone.
RubberyDuck will become famous soon enoughRubberyDuck will become famous soon enoughRubberyDuck will become famous soon enough

There is an option in Windows XP to turn off connecting to Non-Preferred Networks.

I guess Vista has this as well and maybe your Acer software.

Worth a check.
RubberyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 13:19   #11
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 12 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal

This may sound daft and obvious, but did you actually tell them you're unintentionally picking up their connection? Some people aren't clear on why their connection should be secured and have no idea as to the surprising range and power of modern wireless setups. If for no other reason than to solve the problem, perhaps you could offer to show them what needs to be done?

Old 16-01-2009, 13:23   #12
chrisjones
Inactive

Yes, as I said above, ive made them aware on several occaisions. Since they dont seem overly interested, theres not a lot I can do.
Old 16-01-2009, 13:33   #13
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Go to the 'Network and Sharing Centre' and select 'Manage Wireless Networks'.
Click on your network and right-click 'Properties'
Select 'Connect automatically if this network is in range' and make sure your network is top of the list.
Open the properties of the neighbours Wlan and deselect 'Connect automatically if this network is in range' and select 'Connect to a more preferable network if available'.
Hopefully that should sort it.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 17:57   #14
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjones View Post
Yes, as I said above, ive made them aware on several occaisions. Since they dont seem overly interested, theres not a lot I can do.

Get an IP, goto the default gateway - open the admin page using default id and password and delete thier ISP user name and password.

No internet connection to share - problem solved!
Old 16-01-2009, 18:02   #15
chrisjones
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSainsbury View Post
Get an IP, goto the default gateway - open the admin page using default id and password and delete thier ISP user name and password.

No internet connection to share - problem solved!
Im saving that for if we ever fall out!