Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Application Throttling/Management

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Application Throttling/Management

Old 09-09-2008, 19:04   #331
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Application Throttling/Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 View Post
What you mean sort of OC connection, connection type or speed? or something else.

Do you know what is weird when i done it on the OC connection ot microsoft it maintain 14Mb/s but when i tried ubutnu it Maintain 1Mb/s oh well guess traffic was bad at the times we tried each site, guess i am wrong maybe majority can handle it
Andrew, what do you mean OC connection? OC what and where? Wasn't even aware we used OC in the UK.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-09-2008, 19:14   #332
JackSon
Inactive

Services: Freeview, BT Ultrafast Fibre 2
JackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to behold

For fear of being the village idiot, what does the acronym 'OC' refer to in this context?
JackSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 19:24   #333
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSon View Post
For fear of being the village idiot, what does the acronym 'OC' refer to in this context?
Optical Carrier

---------- Post added at 19:24 ---------- Previous post was at 19:23 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadbandings View Post
Andrew, what do you mean OC connection? OC what and where? Wasn't even aware we used OC in the UK.
I dnt know who excately uses it but some places do and it mostly be isps backbones i guess

OC12 Connection ie Optical Carrier Connection used on fibre
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 20:05   #334
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

OK understand, STM-4 then. We use SDH in the UK not SONET and OC is a purely SONET thing. Was the mention of 'OC' that confused as I've never seen SONET on an ISP network here. Thanks for clearing it up.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:31   #335
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraxData2 View Post
Anything P2P is throttled down to 512K, this includes games which use p2p engine (wow for updates?)

The connection literally gets crippled if you open a p2p app and stays that way until you turn it off.

Usenet (even with SSL) gets throttled down to 512K also from 20/50Mbit.

No one knows the limits or rules as of yet.

It looks as if its turning out to be an all day/evening thing though.
I can sort of verify this.

Both my sisters use utorrent to download stuff.

One is on a VM 2meg connection, the other on a orange adsl connection.

Both were running slow and I told them its because they didnt cap their upload speeds on utorrent, when I uncapped it on the orange dsl line, utorrent itself sped up as well as other stuff like web browsing. On the VM line nothing happened everything stayed slow and didnt even get a boost on utorrent speeds.

---------- Post added at 12:31 ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 ----------

if VM start protocol throttling aka like plusnet and BT broadband then I would love to know how they justify it.

VM own their own network and backhaul, isps reselling BT wholesale services have to pay very high traffic costs to BT wholesale which is why traffic shaping is common on adsl and is why isps like BE and sky/ukonline have yet not had the need to do any throttling. VM also do charge higher prices than adsl retail, a up to 8meg on adsl can be quite easily had for under £20 and sometimes under £15 yet VM get much more then that for all high speed connections regardless of usage. So I have defenitly changed my views now on this and I think its a blatant attempt at profiteering at the cost of letting the service go downhill.

Anyone hoping that ofcom steps in dont hold your breath, so far they have ignored all the traffic shaping stuff on adsl and the ASA has no problem with isps selling unlimited and then limiting it. The only thing ofcom have done is asked isps who traffic shape to clarify it to customers and show how things are shaped. I expect VM have took the stance most other isps are doing so why not us.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 12:35   #336
xspeedyx

I havent seen any slow downs on my torrents was getting 500Kb/s plus
Old 11-09-2008, 12:39   #337
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
I can sort of verify this.

Both my sisters use utorrent to download stuff.

One is on a VM 2meg connection, the other on a orange adsl connection.

Both were running slow and I told them its because they didnt cap their upload speeds on utorrent, when I uncapped it on the orange dsl line, utorrent itself sped up as well as other stuff like web browsing. On the VM line nothing happened everything stayed slow and didnt even get a boost on utorrent speeds.

---------- Post added at 12:31 ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 ----------

if VM start protocol throttling aka like plusnet and BT broadband then I would love to know how they justify it.

VM own their own network and backhaul, isps reselling BT wholesale services have to pay very high traffic costs to BT wholesale which is why traffic shaping is common on adsl and is why isps like BE and sky/ukonline have yet not had the need to do any throttling. VM also do charge higher prices than adsl retail, a up to 8meg on adsl can be quite easily had for under £20 and sometimes under £15 yet VM get much more then that for all high speed connections regardless of usage. So I have defenitly changed my views now on this and I think its a blatant attempt at profiteering at the cost of letting the service go downhill.

Anyone hoping that ofcom steps in dont hold your breath, so far they have ignored all the traffic shaping stuff on adsl and the ASA has no problem with isps selling unlimited and then limiting it. The only thing ofcom have done is asked isps who traffic shape to clarify it to customers and show how things are shaped. I expect VM have took the stance most other isps are doing so why not us.
virgin dnt own the backhaul onto the internet only there fibre network once it connected to the backbone of the internet they pay for traffic jsut like bt does as well, but i aint saying this is a excuss for them just trying to clarify a slight misunderstanding.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:49   #338
Ignitionnet
Inactive

I think Chrysalis was referring to the costs to ISPs who interconnect with BT Wholesale. That cost is far higher than the cost of internet bandwidth.
Old 11-09-2008, 13:26   #339
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadbandings View Post
I think Chrysalis was referring to the costs to ISPs who interconnect with BT Wholesale. That cost is far higher than the cost of internet bandwidth.
I thought that as well but they also go on about virgin making profits but since virgin have to pay for the backbone then they do lose money but i still am not staying this is justified if it is getting implemented
Old 11-09-2008, 14:26   #340
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 View Post
I thought that as well but they also go on about virgin making profits but since virgin have to pay for the backbone then they do lose money but i still am not staying this is justified if it is getting implemented
Nearly every ISP has to pay to get their traffic onto the Internet from their internal network, however the main reason for shaping is the huge costs to BT Wholesale. Note Sky for example. They shape on the BT Wholesale supplied service but not on the LLU, while Be are only LLU and don't shape at all.
Old 11-09-2008, 15:37   #341
Impz2002
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media DTV Constant 20mb XL Broadband
Impz2002 is just really niceImpz2002 is just really niceImpz2002 is just really niceImpz2002 is just really niceImpz2002 is just really niceImpz2002 is just really nice

i think trying to base any assumptions on torrent speeds is just crazy. Torrents are not a valid means of testing for throttling as there are so many variables !

Impz
Impz2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 15:56   #342
xspeedyx

I would test using newsgroups, might get better results
Old 11-09-2008, 15:58   #343
Fatec
Inactive

Fatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impz2002 View Post
i think trying to base any assumptions on torrent speeds is just crazy. Torrents are not a valid means of testing for throttling as there are so many variables !

Impz
Not when your connected to 100Mbit seeders/seedboxes and cant pull more than 50KB/s
Fatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 16:05   #344
xspeedyx

Come on tho Trax test connection speeds via torrents isn't going to work is it really I am ok with my speeds on torrents and I am yet to hear of people calling and cancelling over it so lets just wait and see
Old 11-09-2008, 16:25   #345
Impz2002
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media DTV Constant 20mb XL Broadband
Impz2002 is just really niceImpz2002 is just really niceImpz2002 is just really niceImpz2002 is just really niceImpz2002 is just really niceImpz2002 is just really nice

i have had no issues with torrents was getting 2.1Mb/s last night !

Impz
Impz2002 is offline   Reply With Quote