Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Raspberry Pi - a revolution?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Raspberry Pi - a revolution?

Old 04-10-2012, 21:40   #271
tizmeinnit

Re: Raspberry Pi - a revolution?

I have been told today not to expect mine till mid November. Cancelled and not going to bother now
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2012, 02:08   #272
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Today I'm looking at getting a Logitech keyboard & mouse that use the Unifying receiver, will the keyboard work when you first turn on the Pi so you can type 'startx' to launch the GUI, or just stay in the 'linux' prompt?

I got mine today, am making this post from it in fact Got up and running really easily, the only thing I had to look up was the default username and password. Have taken some photos which I will get up later.

I have a Logitech Keyboard+Touchpad jobby that uses an all in one Micro-Dongle, I will test that in a mo and let you know, I do sudo telinit 5 as it's what I'm used to but there ya go

---------- Post added at 01:08 ---------- Previous post was at 00:56 ----------

the answer is yes, all in one mini dongle does work as expected Good news!

Photos!

IMAG0166.jpg

IMAG0167.jpg

IMAG0169.jpg

IMAG0174.jpg

IMAG0176.jpg

IMAG0177.jpg
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 18:49   #273
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I just bought 4 8GB SD cards form Currys.

Last night I had a quick go at Debian "Squeeze" it took about 15mins to first boot, the only problem I have is I cannot find where to set up the Wifi, I can open Midori but not find anything there.

Next to put Fedora Arm on a SD
Old 06-10-2012, 12:00   #274
Graham M
-

Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars

Got a white box for mine now, just arrived, looks a lot tidier now
Old 16-10-2012, 11:36   #275
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

The Raspbeery Model B now ships with 512MB Ram instead of 256MB with no price increase.

Quote:
The pint-sized computer is now available in its Model B form with a free upgrade from 256MB of RAM to 512MB. The Raspberry Pi Model B still costs the same price of £29.95.
Quote:
Anyone with an existing order for the older model should receive the faster model. Premier Farnell confirmed it has enough stock to cope with demand until 2013. Any orders placed before 7pm will be shipped the same day for free.
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/desk...de-same-price/
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 18:13   #276
tizmeinnit

funny they say they have enough stock to supply demand till 2013 but it says awaiting stock if you try to order one lol
Old 08-11-2012, 20:14   #277
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I'm looking at getting a small screen for my Pi, I've seen a 16" LED HDMI Currys Essential for £80.
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/essenti...07897-pdt.html

Is this any good or should I go for a branded model (Samsung)
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung...18444-pdt.html
Old 09-11-2012, 00:34   #278
Graham M
-

Depends what you're planning on using your Pi for tbh, if its not graphics intensive, or films etc, any old cheapo screen will do either with HDMI or DVI will do but you will obviously need an adapter or HDMI-dvi cable to use DVI
Old 09-11-2012, 11:09   #279
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
I'm looking at getting a small screen for my Pi, I've seen a 16" LED HDMI Currys Essential for £80.
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/essenti...07897-pdt.html

Is this any good or should I go for a branded model (Samsung)
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung...18444-pdt.html

why are you looking on the Currys site?
Old 09-11-2012, 13:52   #280
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

No reason, I saw them in currys, I was looking at buying one today, comet didn't do the size I was looking at.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 15:12   #281
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Help required

I have put the latest incarnation of Raspian "wheezy" on a 8GB SD card.

I downloaded via the pi store libra but it failed due to lack of space, I guess the default partition size is to small, so how do i make it bigger.

I cannot even find the folder the libra was put into to try and delete taht.

I'm a complete numpty on linux OS

HELP
Old 30-12-2012, 23:15   #282
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

I've solved it but it raised another question

I solved it by downloading a partedmagic iso (http://partedmagic.com) then burnt it to a CD, boot the laptop from CD, then resized the partition.

I finished the install of libra, then installed some other files from the pistore, but I can only run them through the store and I cannot find any icon to run them outside that.

any help for a linux noob.
Old 12-02-2013, 21:57   #283
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/02/ras...barch-designs/

Old 27-05-2013, 18:00   #284
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

Raspberry Pi Laptop using Motorola Atrix 4G laptop dock

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/raspber...eo-27-05-2013/
Ravenheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 00:53   #285
Dash: CF noob
cf.geek

Services: VM MAXIT TV360 Volt 1gb. SH5 WIN 10 7" Tab, Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Dash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of society

Gone quiet in here anybody still using pi?, looking at one priced at 28 squid delivered,
Dash: CF noob is offline   Reply With Quote