Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Raspberry Pi - a revolution?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Raspberry Pi - a revolution?

Old 02-08-2012, 11:52   #256
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Raspberry Pi - a revolution?

Android ICS has been ported on the the Raspberry Pi.

Techrepublic
Quote:
A working version of Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich has been ported to the $40 device, according to the Raspberry Pi Foundation chairman Eben Upton.

The build includes hardware-accelerated video and computer graphics but not sound, because support for the operating system’s AudioFlinger layer is not yet included.

This port appears to be the closest one yet to a usable Android OS for Raspberry Pi, but other builds of the mobile operating system are being worked on, including CyanogenMod 7.2, based on Android Gingerbread, and CyanogenMod 9, also based on Ice Cream Sandwich.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2012, 12:22   #257
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I cannont wait to get ICS for the Pi

Can any of the Pi owners tell me if there is any benefits in using 32GB SD cards over 16/8/4 GB ones?

I'm still waiting for mine, what has annoyed me is I ordered mine from RS, and a few days later a 2nd one from Farnell (which is for my brother in-law as RS lost his order) Rs told me 10 weeks, which worked out about mid September.

Last week Farnell delivered a Pi to my Brother In-law.

I guess Farnell have had less orders
Old 06-09-2012, 17:45   #258
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19510040

Quote:
The Raspberry Pi computer is being made in the UK for the first time.
Before now every one of the credit-card sized machines have rolled off production lines in Chinese factories.
But a deal signed between Premier Farnell, which distributes the Pi, and manufacturer Sony will see 300,000 of the gadgets produced on home soil.
Since its launch in April, the device has been hugely popular and its creators said more than a million could be sold before the end of 2012.
The UK-made Raspberry Pis will be assembled at Sony UK Technology's factory in Pencoed, South Wales. About 30 jobs will be created as a result of the deal which will mean most of the Pis being distributed by Premier Farnell will be made in Britain.
That's nice news.
Old 06-09-2012, 19:03   #259
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I got an email from RS telling me there was a 4 week delay so the end of September now.
Old 12-09-2012, 22:00   #260
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Can any of the Pi owners tell me if there is any benefits in using 32GB SD cards over 16/8/4 GB ones?
Old 13-09-2012, 00:53   #261
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
I presume it depends on how much data you want to store on the device after the OS is installed?
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 11:23   #262
Graham M
-

Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars

Ordered my Pi, one of these kits

http://www.maplin.co.uk/raspberrypi

Seemed a good deal, should have it in 3/4 days, they have over 1000 at HO apparently but only had 2 delivered in store, seems sensible!
Old 30-09-2012, 12:05   #263
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
Ordered my Pi, one of these kits

http://www.maplin.co.uk/raspberrypi

Seemed a good deal, should have it in 3/4 days, they have over 1000 at HO apparently but only had 2 delivered in store, seems sensible!
I'm still waiting for RS to send mine, the annoying thing is they took my money straight away when I ordered it back in March
Old 30-09-2012, 12:24   #264
Graham M
-

I'd be cancelling my order and ordering from Maplin I reckon
Old 03-10-2012, 20:44   #265
eth01
Inactive

eth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to all

Farnell is best place to order from for PI delivery is practically 1 working day
eth01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 21:43   #266
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Well My Pi has been shipped and should be here by close of play tomorrow.

I've got a SD with Wheezy on it, and I'm looking for an Android OS.

Is XBMC an OS or add-on?
Old 03-10-2012, 22:22   #267
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Quote:

Is XBMC an OS or add-on?
It's standalone software available for Linux, Windows & OSX:

http://xbmc.org/about/
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:58   #268
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Today I'm looking at getting a Logitech keyboard & mouse that use the Unifying receiver, will the keyboard work when you first turn on the Pi so you can type 'startx' to launch the GUI, or just stay in the 'linux' prompt?
Old 04-10-2012, 10:08   #269
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I installed Raspbmc on my Pi the other day.

It's runs great, been streaming 1080p MKV files with no trouble.

---------- Post added at 10:08 ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 ----------

Quote:

Is XBMC an OS or add-on?
It's an OS for media streaming. I have it running on my Apple TV and now have the Pi build called Raspbmc running.
Old 04-10-2012, 20:34   #270
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Well im using it to type this on the Pi using, on the Logitech K400 wireless touch keypad, it is a bit sensitive

I tell you in a minute what version Im using.

---------- Post added at 17:58 ---------- Previous post was at 17:55 ----------

The web browser is called Midori

---------- Post added at 19:17 ---------- Previous post was at 18:58 ----------

It running Raspbian “wheezy”

---------- Post added at 20:34 ---------- Previous post was at 19:17 ----------

Problem

I put the SD in the PC to install another OS.

I went into Disk Management (via My Computer/manage), and deleted the partition now I cannot reformat the SD card as it is not reckonised by the PC, in my computer.

Solved it I had to create a new primary
partition.