Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | I've lost my sound!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

I've lost my sound!

Old 05-09-2009, 10:04   #16
zing_deleted

Re: I've lost my sound!

please check under sound in control panal that speakers are selected
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2009, 10:09   #17
Tinky
To err is human

Services: yearly MOT
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by zing View Post
It says the device is working properly. Do you think I should uninstall SP2? Could I live without it?
Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:13   #18
zing_deleted

open control panel. Then goto classic view and browse to sound (not in device manager). Make sure speakers are selected as there can be more than one HD audio output. If speakers are selected do the everest thing and tell us your motherboard model number and we will find you new drivers to try plenty of steps to try before you uninstall sp2
Old 05-09-2009, 10:17   #19
Sir John Luke
Inactive

Sir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful one

Just a thought, but have you run Windows Update after reinstalling SP2? It might find something relevant. Also, have you tried Osem's suggestion?
Sir John Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:36   #20
Tinky
To err is human

Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

Get back in a minute, downloading updates as suggested by SJL. Don't know why I wasn't notified there were any.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:07   #21
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Control panel/HD Audio ... pull out a speaker plug on the back of your PC, put it back in, a pop-up should ask you what speaker that was... click on the relevant box. Repeat for any other speakers or microphone...
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:08   #22
zing_deleted

not all HD Audio is auto sensing though
Old 05-09-2009, 11:15   #23
Tinky
To err is human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir John Luke View Post
Just a thought, but have you run Windows Update after reinstalling SP2? It might find something relevant. Also, have you tried Osem's suggestion?
Tried Osem's suggestion, but volume set to full!

Quote:
Won't let me select speakers. see here.
Capture1.JPG

Downloaded Everest here is info re Motherboard, hope that helps.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:21   #24
Tinky
To err is human

Try again...........Here is info re Motherboard, hope that helps.

Capture.JPG
Old 05-09-2009, 11:49   #25
Tinky
To err is human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Control panel/HD Audio ... pull out a speaker plug on the back of your PC, put it back in, a pop-up should ask you what speaker that was... click on the relevant box. Repeat for any other speakers or microphone...
Tried that Taf, still no joy.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:52   #26
zing_deleted

oh dear everest does not help. Try Tafs suggestion unplug speakers then plug them back in

Edit see you have tried

---------- Post added at 11:52 ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 ----------

Ok in device manager right click on HIGH definition audio device and select uninstall . Reboot computer and it shoudl find the drivers again. If not what make and model PC is it? you may need to remove the side off the case to find the motherboard model number or if it does not reinstall the driver windows update may well find it this time
Old 05-09-2009, 12:04   #27
Tinky
To err is human

Quote:
oh dear everest does not help. Try Tafs suggestion unplug speakers then plug them back in

Edit see you have tried

---------- Post added at 11:52 ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 ----------

Ok in device manager right click on HIGH definition audio device and select uninstall . Reboot computer and it shoudl find the drivers again. If not what make and model PC is it? you may need to remove the side off the case to find the motherboard model number or if it does not reinstall the driver windows update may well find it this time
Beginning to lose hope now Zing, did what you said and uninstalled the HDAD, rebooted and it did find the drivers, but still nothing. Does this help?
Capture.JPG
Old 05-09-2009, 12:06   #28
zing_deleted

can you still not select speakers?

Need the motherboard model number you may need to remove the side of the case
Old 05-09-2009, 12:13   #29
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinky View Post
Tried Osem's suggestion, but volume set to full!
Sorry, we may be at cross purposes but my volume was also showing as on full and not muted but there was no sound at all. I discovered that the 'Wave' setting shown in the advanced volume control panel (double click on the volume control icon) had somehow become set to 'Mute' and that was why there was no sound and unchecking the 'Wave' mute box cured the problem. Not sure if this applies with your setup however. It's infuriating I know but try not to pull all your hair out - someone here will find the answer! Best of luck.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:36   #30
Tinky
To err is human

Quote:
can you still not select speakers?

Need the motherboard model number you may need to remove the side of the case
Oh Jings Zing, I'm an old decrepit woman lol, don't know if I am up to doing things like that! And another thing what does a Motherboard look like? I know, I can hear you sighing from here lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Sorry, we may be at cross purposes but my volume was also showing as on full and not muted but there was no sound at all. I discovered that the 'Wave' setting shown in the advanced volume control panel (double click on the volume control icon) had somehow become set to 'Mute' and that was why there was no sound and unchecking the 'Wave' mute box cured the problem. Not sure if this applies with your setup however. It's infuriating I know but try not to pull all your hair out - someone here will find the answer! Best of luck.
Thank you Osem, I have done all you said, and I am open to all and any reasonable suggestions. My finger is hovering around the uninstall SP2 button at the mo. I am however still hopeful that someone will find a solution, they have never let me down before, bless 'em! Now going out to get some R & R. That will give everyone time to collect their thoughts, can't help feeling I am going to be deafened all of a sudden, when they crack it! Many thanks to all for your help since 8.13am today. Appreciate all your efforts. Back later.