Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Is the SA V+ box really that bad?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Is the SA V+ box really that bad?

Old 25-06-2011, 21:03   #1
mollda
Inactive

Services: VIP, going to the dark side with BT/SKY (20th Aug)
mollda is an unknown quantity at this point
Is the SA V+ box really that bad?

looked on the internet and I can see a lot of bad reviews on the scientific atlantic v+ box and how much better the Samsung box is. I have had the SA box for 3 years and not had any issues, sure it can be at times be a tad slow in changing channels but not so bad that it becomes a problem and the HD picture is pretty good to me.
mollda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-06-2011, 21:11   #2
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: Is the SA V+ box really that bad?

If you have a good one then keep hold of it. It's has a dated look it's got a noisy hard drive, slowness especially at midnight. It's sd picture is phenomenal though, wipes the floor with my tivo
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 21:18   #3
mollda
Inactive

Services: VIP, going to the dark side with BT/SKY (20th Aug)
mollda is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
If you have a good one then keep hold of it. It's it's dated look it's noisy hard drive, slowness especially at midnight. It's sd picture is phenomenal though, wipes the floor with my tivo

Yeah agree that the SD picture is excellent, especially against what I have seen from the SKY SD picture. Not seen the SD on a Tivo yet.
mollda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 21:40   #4
mhatter67

Services: Big Kahuna, Phone XL, Boxnation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollda View Post
Yeah agree that the SD picture is excellent, especially against what I have seen from the SKY SD picture. Not seen the SD on a Tivo yet.
Until there has been the software update to TiVo to fix SD picture for some TV, it cannot be judged fairly against any STB!
Old 26-06-2011, 09:53   #5
milko
Inactive

milko will become famous soon enoughmilko will become famous soon enoughmilko will become famous soon enough

i have the SA V+ box , had it for nearly a year now, am very happy with it, not had any issues at all
milko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 10:03   #6
mentalis
cf.geek

Services: | Freeview | VirginTV XL with TiVo | BB L | Phone M |
mentalis is just really nicementalis is just really nicementalis is just really nicementalis is just really nicementalis is just really nicementalis is just really nice

I had an SA V+ and it was very noisy; at first I had it on a wooden TV stand and it sounded like someone was constantly drilling.

When I moved to a glass stand it was better, but you noticed it was much quieter in the room when you turned it off (even when the TV was on).

The channel changing speed I could live with, but when you pressed i and could actually watch it slowly draw a black background, followed by a grey outline then add the text that was painful.

Then it developed problems; it would randomly reboot, usually when recording something.

That, the fact it looked like something the 80s wanted back, and the measly 20+ hours or HD space meant I jumped to TiVo straight away - mainly for the extra hard drive space.
mentalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 11:54   #7
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlayzell View Post
Until there has been the software update to TiVo to fix SD picture for some TV, it cannot be judged fairly against any STB!
VM are planning a software update to improve SD picture quality on TiVo?
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 13:08   #8
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto View Post
VM are planning a software update to improve SD picture quality on TiVo?
Yes.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...ty/td-p/500443
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 13:19   #9
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
If you have a good one then keep hold of it. It's has a dated look it's got a noisy hard drive, slowness especially at midnight. It's sd picture is phenomenal though, wipes the floor with my tivo
I have a S/A V+ box funnily enough i do not find the hard drive paticularly noisy,but yes it does slow down at midnight alright.!

But am very impressed with the sd picture quality so much so when i took HD on sky sports for a while i did not thenk it worth the extra cash,as the V+ picture on sd is so good.I plan to hang to my one for the foreseeable future.
Old 26-06-2011, 13:22   #10
clayts
Inactive

Services: Tivo; XL TV; L Broadband; M Phone
clayts has a spectacular aura about themclayts has a spectacular aura about themclayts has a spectacular aura about themclayts has a spectacular aura about them

Three things I don't miss about the SA V+

(1) The midnight/1am slowdown (avoid using FWD/REW, try to watch programmes with no advert breaks !)
(2) Having to nurse it through HD recordings - only being able to record one HD channel at a time, not being able to watch another HD channel whilst it was recording an HD channel or face the wrath of the random reboot
(3) Unreliable CatchUp - sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn't, usually within a few seconds of selecting the same programme

Other than that, and some slowness, generally the SA V+ was a good machine - yes the SD picture was marginally better than Tivo, but not a deal breaker in my opinion.

clayts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 11:03   #11
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

The midnight slowdown is one big bug, and that'll never be fixed - but by itself I can live with this.

The only real "irritant" are the 4 dud recordings I have to delete every morning and have done for the past few years. I know I could easily reformat but for the hassle of wiping or having to dump all the other recordings, that's always felt a little extreme. If the UK4 software update clears this longstanding bug, then I call that a result :-)

When publicity for the TiVo first came out a few months ago I was rather tempted. But to be honest, I've rather gone off it.
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 12:26   #12
WDLaserjetGLOVER
Inactive

WDLaserjetGLOVER is an unknown quantity at this point

Before Tivo I had the TVDrive silver version.
Never had a problem with it in all those years.
I was sad to see it go, but the rotters wouldn't let me keep it.
WDLaserjetGLOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 21:30   #13
carbon60
Needs more upload

Services: TiVo V6, TiVo 500GB, Samsung V Box, Full House TV + Sky Sports SD, VIVID 200, Talk Weekends Phone
carbon60 is on a distinguished roadcarbon60 is on a distinguished road

I have one dud recording on my SA V+ that occurred when it tried to record the same program twice at the same time due to a bug with the EPG data at the time. I've just left it there - no point in deleting it for it to re-appear.

I don't use the box for HD and only have had minor issues with it. I'll reformat it should it ever be empty!
carbon60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 12:22   #14
Lone Star
cf.member

Lone Star is on a distinguished roadLone Star is on a distinguished road

Other than the midnight slowdown I never had a problem with my old silver SA TV Drive until the hard disk gave up the ghost six weeks ago. Now on my 2nd replacement Samsung, which admittedly doesn't suffer from the slowdown problem. But as the first one only lasted 3 weeks, I do wonder about Samsung V+ reliability.
Lone Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 19:35   #15
mhatter67

Services: Big Kahuna, Phone XL, Boxnation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
Other than the midnight slowdown I never had a problem with my old silver SA TV Drive until the hard disk gave up the ghost six weeks ago. Now on my 2nd replacement Samsung, which admittedly doesn't suffer from the slowdown problem. But as the first one only lasted 3 weeks, I do wonder about Samsung V+ reliability.
Had my Samsung over a year now very reliable ( touch wood) My first V+ box!