Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 02-02-2016, 11:40   #5341
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Nothing down my way.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2016, 12:32   #5342
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Same...

japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:46   #5343
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Clean as a whistle down here 'cept for the usual rise in latency when a torrent kicks in. Doesn't affect the green though.
Old 04-02-2016, 15:47   #5344
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

A VM Tech came out and solved my speed issues with a TCP Optimiser.

But he could not understand the problems I get when I power-up the shub in the morning.

He turned on the 5Ghz wifi so that he could see the connection on his mobile. After it rebooted guess what?

The period of on/off/on/off happens after a reboot of the shub2ac too!

The mess on the right of the graph....

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

So he's gone off to think on it....
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 21:00   #5345
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
A VM Tech came out and solved my speed issues with a TCP Optimiser.

But he could not understand the problems I get when I power-up the shub in the morning.

He turned on the 5Ghz wifi so that he could see the connection on his mobile. After it rebooted guess what?

The period of on/off/on/off happens after a reboot of the shub2ac too!

The mess on the right of the graph....

So he's gone off to think on it....
As an alternative, instead of turning the shub off & on, you could get a router with the ability to control the Wireless network availibility at various times of the day/week? Less work for you!

This would give you a stable internet connection (unless there are other underlying line problems)
Old 05-02-2016, 08:27   #5346
Taf
cf.mega poster

Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

We're all hard-wired here.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:33   #5347
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Are your speeds still ok?
Old 05-02-2016, 10:01   #5348
Taf
cf.mega poster

Tests again this morning show 150dl, 10ul. The connection suddenly went flaky after the tech visit and TCP optimisation, but I found that to be all down to Firefox (random-lockups, slow to connect, etc.) Swapped to Chrome and all is perfect (although Chrome is about to become unsupported for Vista ).

The spiky period 18:30-19:30 I'd never seen before.

All the disconnects, etc. around 14:00 were after a reboot of the shub to turn on 5Mhz wifi. First time I'd seen that happen too.

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
Old 05-02-2016, 11:12   #5349
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Tests again this morning show 150dl, 10ul. The connection suddenly went flaky after the tech visit and TCP optimisation, but I found that to be all down to Firefox (random-lockups, slow to connect, etc.) Swapped to Chrome and all is perfect (although Chrome is about to become unsupported for Vista ).

The spiky period 18:30-19:30 I'd never seen before.

All the disconnects, etc. around 14:00 were after a reboot of the shub to turn on 5Mhz wifi. First time I'd seen that happen too.

Sounds like it is time to upgrade Windows or the PC considering even Microsoft doesn't actively support Vista anymore.

You could put Windows 10 on there for free if you became a Windows insider.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:17   #5350
Taf
cf.mega poster

From what I've seen and experienced with Win 10, I think I'll stay with Vista as long as possible.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:21   #5351
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
From what I've seen and experienced with Win 10, I think I'll stay with Vista as long as possible.
Had Windows 10 since before its release, could never go back to Windows 7,8 and certainly not Vista!
Old 05-02-2016, 12:29   #5352
JordanTheToaster
I Toast Bread

Services: Vivid 350?
JordanTheToaster is on a distinguished roadJordanTheToaster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm sorry but how could anyone even be with vista at this point? Yeah 10 is not the best but 7 is basically vista but not broken
JordanTheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:37   #5353
Stop It
Inactive

Services: VM Vivid 200 VM XL TV & Sky Sports VM Phone
Stop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of society

Quote:
I've seen problems with much better operating systems so I think I'll stick with the worst Microsoft OS since Windows Me.
Think about what you just said for a second.

That said, you did blame VM for making your internet speed slower when you used a dodgy Internet (TCP thing) "accelerator" that put a hard limit on your connection speed (Which is why you shouldn't be messing with these settings to begin with!).

Even if Windows 10 isn't for you, 7 is miles better than Vista and is still supported, so the problems with Chrome (And security going forward) will not exist for a good while at least.
Stop It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 14:13   #5354
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
In that case, I guess you could add a cron job on the router to stop & start the WAN service .. see here for using cron on an ASUS
Old 05-02-2016, 16:46   #5355
Taf
cf.mega poster

What have some people got against Vista? It's been rock-solid for me with no failures to start, BSD's, Malware problems or corruption.

---------- Post added at 16:46 ---------- Previous post was at 16:46 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
In that case, I guess you could add a cron job on the router to stop & start the WAN service .. see here for using cron on an ASUS
I'll have a read.