Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Guardian: "Sky Atlantic won't be on Virgin Media soon, says BSkyB boss"

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Guardian: "Sky Atlantic won't be on Virgin Media soon, says BSkyB boss"
Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 18:13   #106
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Guardian: "Sky Atlantic won't be on Virgin Media soon, says BSkyB boss"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherer View Post
I think this shows that with Sky 1-3 and Sky Atlantic there isn't really enough content to cover 4 channels.

Out of interest what are the current top 20 channels according to Barb ?
Here is the Oct-Dec by percentage - BARB1
For December, the top players were (rounded)
BBC1 21%
ITV1 17%
BBC2 7%
C4/S4C 6%
FIVE 4%
C4+1 1%
Sky1 1%
Sky3 1%
Sky Sports 1 2% (1.6)
BBC3 2% (1.5)
BBC News 1% (1.3)
E4 1% (1.1)
Film 4 1% (1.2)
ITV2 2%
ITV3 2%
ITV4 1%
More 4 (1%)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2011, 18:24   #107
WillPS
Inactive

Services: VM XXL Broadband, XL TV with V+ and L Phone
WillPS has a spectacular aura about themWillPS has a spectacular aura about themWillPS has a spectacular aura about themWillPS has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Apart from Boardwalk Empire, Entourage, and Blue Bloods...
Touché! In that case those ratings are indeed very weak.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:27   #108
spankysmagicpian
cf.geek

Services: Ultimate Oomph although there is nothing ultimate or oomph about it.
spankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these parts

There's an interesting article in The Guardian.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011...iracy-internet

Especially this bit

Quote:
Analysts say "streaming" from unofficial websites will peak in the next few months. After that, many believe, increased demand will bring new and cheaper ways to watch television over the internet into the mainstream.
Old 06-02-2011, 17:24   #109
WillPS
Inactive

WillPS has a spectacular aura about themWillPS has a spectacular aura about themWillPS has a spectacular aura about themWillPS has a spectacular aura about them

Unlikely unless they can get literally all content on one platform for a rock-bottom subscription or make it available for nothing (or get it included in a broadband subscription).
Old 07-02-2011, 14:29   #110
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Been said on here LOL :-)

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/broadcas...acy-surge.html
Old 07-02-2011, 15:04   #111
Doug P
Inactive

Services: Virgin Cable TV (Tivo) and Freeview
Doug P has reached the bronze age
Doug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze age

I feel VM should not be held to ransom over Atlantic. If they are they will have to put it on our bills.
Old 07-02-2011, 18:17   #112
noel43
cf.addict

Services: Tivo. XL (tv) L (bb)
noel43 is just really nicenoel43 is just really nicenoel43 is just really nicenoel43 is just really nicenoel43 is just really nicenoel43 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post

Anybody who knows where to go will have seen the whole series by now.
Old 07-02-2011, 18:51   #113
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

I think a lot of people will appreciate the Guardian referring to them as "young"
Old 07-02-2011, 19:22   #114
Big-Ted
Inactive

Big-Ted has much to be proud ofBig-Ted has much to be proud ofBig-Ted has much to be proud ofBig-Ted has much to be proud ofBig-Ted has much to be proud ofBig-Ted has much to be proud ofBig-Ted has much to be proud ofBig-Ted has much to be proud ofBig-Ted has much to be proud ofBig-Ted has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by admars View Post
I think a lot of people will appreciate the Guardian referring to them as "young"

Didn't you know 50 is the new twenty something
Old 07-02-2011, 19:31   #115
spankysmagicpian
cf.geek

spankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these parts

Just read about MTV charging for their online OD rather than the free model with adverts that the majority of channels do.

Quote:
Charging viewers directly, rather than at the wholesale level, is a new ballgame and, if you consider future IPTV options, could mean broadcasters like MTV taking their payments independently rather than through pay-TV platforms like BSkyB.
Now that would be interesting. Maybe Sky are making hay while the sun shines as if this ever took off (and I am sure it will) their numbers will start to drop significantly. I think peoples main complaint is 'why can't I subscribe to the channels I watch?' well, not so far down the road, they probably will be able to.

I think VM are ultimately positioned to exploit this market should...sorry...when it arrives.
Old 07-02-2011, 20:25   #116
Henkesghost
Sceptic

Henkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronze
Henkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankysmagicpian View Post
Just read about MTV charging for their online OD rather than the free model with adverts that the majority of channels do.

Now that would be interesting. Maybe Sky are making hay while the sun shines as if this ever took off (and I am sure it will) their numbers will start to drop significantly. I think peoples main complaint is 'why can't I subscribe to the channels I watch?' well, not so far down the road, they probably will be able to.

I think VM are ultimately positioned to exploit this market should...sorry...when it arrives.
Great post! Works for me if I want to subscribe to a channel I should be able to.
Old 07-02-2011, 20:59   #117
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkesghost View Post
Great post! Works for me if I want to subscribe to a channel I should be able to.
Unfortunately, Sky don't sell the channel by individual subscriber - there is usually a minimum payment of nnnn (where nnnn is usually quite a large figure) for the base fee, with bands of payments by numbers of subs.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 07-02-2011, 21:51   #118
spankysmagicpian
cf.geek

True, but look a few years down the road (maybe less). What if you watched say...Discovery, MTV and ESPN and the opportunity arose that they offered subs direct via IPTV for I dunno...£10 for the three? You'd subscribe wouldn't you and save yourself £20+ a month rather than pay Sky or VM for a lot of channels you don't watch.
Old 09-02-2011, 14:46   #119
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Looks like Sky are in trouble over Sky Atlantic coverage on Sky News!

Sky News faces investigation over Sky Atlantic coverage. giving it too much airtime

Quote:
Ofcom is to investigate Sky News after receiving a complaint that it broke regulations governing editorial independence and gave "undue prominence" to the launch of sister channel Sky Atlantic.
Sky News broadcast a news report about the launch of Sky Atlantic in a show called The Live Desk. The piece aired on Tuesday 1 February, the launch day for Sky Atlantic, which features HBO shows including Boardwalk Empire and was backed with a cross media promotional blitz by BSkyB.
The media regulator Ofcom has launched an investigation after receiving a complaint that the Sky News piece was too promotional.
Ofcom will be considering whether Sky News broke section 10.1 of its broadcasting code, which states that a broadcaster must maintain the independence of editorial control over programme content, and 10.4, which states that no "undue prominence" should be given to any product or service.
The Ofcom investigation comes at an embarrassing time for Sky and News Corp, which is attempting to buy the 60.9% of the satellite broadcaster it does not already own.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011...ofcom-atlantic
Old 09-02-2011, 16:36   #120
WillPS
Inactive

Haha! Sky News eh, can't beat it.
Closed Thread