Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Samsung Galaxy Y PAYG

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Samsung Galaxy Y PAYG

Old 30-11-2012, 14:32   #1
BenJSmyth
Inactive

Services: Sky TV in the living room, Freeview in the bedroom. Plusnet Unlimited Fibre
BenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of light
Samsung Galaxy Y PAYG

Hi all,

I am looking at Virgin's offering on pay as you go for the Samsung Galaxy Y phone at £69.99. This is cheaper than buying it unlocked elsewhere and I already have a Virgin pay monthly SIM only deal, so I would basically chuck the PAYG SIM away.

My question is though, would this come as an unlocked SIM free phone or are they specific VM phones and locked on their network?

Cheers!

Ben

---------- Post added at 14:32 ---------- Previous post was at 14:24 ----------

Actually, never mind, I see they charge £7.99 delivery. It doesn't make it that much cheaper than Amazon's SIM free offering so I will get it from there.

This thread can be deleted by a mod if you like.
BenJSmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-11-2012, 14:38   #2
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
Re: Samsung Galaxy Y PAYG

You should check out carphone warehouse - most of their handsets are sold sim free (aside from three ones) - so you could get a cheap unlocked phone. You have to pay £10 top up but even so it can still be cheaper.

We got a sim free LG Optimuis L3 for the other halves Christmas present and it as £59.99 with the tenner topup the handset is sim free.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 16:49   #3
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

you can get it from T-Mobile (or Orange if you like) for £69.90 + 10 top up making it £79.90 including delivery...

https://www.secure-mobiles.com/check...kiO047fQ%3D%3D
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 23:07   #4
BenJSmyth
Inactive

Services: Sky TV in the living room, Freeview in the bedroom. Plusnet Unlimited Fibre
BenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf1701 View Post
You should check out carphone warehouse - most of their handsets are sold sim free (aside from three ones) - so you could get a cheap unlocked phone. You have to pay £10 top up but even so it can still be cheaper.

We got a sim free LG Optimuis L3 for the other halves Christmas present and it as £59.99 with the tenner topup the handset is sim free.
I'm just looking on Carphone Warehouse now. They have the Galaxy Y on Virgin for £59.99 inc the £10 top up. Are they definitely unlocked?
Old 01-12-2012, 01:29   #5
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.

The last time I bought a phone from Carphone Warehouse it was unlocked. It makes sense for them to stock unlocked handsets, they can sell you the sim for whichever network you (or they) prefer. Why stock a phone for every network?
Old 01-12-2012, 13:53   #6
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJSmyth View Post
I'm just looking on Carphone Warehouse now. They have the Galaxy Y on Virgin for £59.99 inc the £10 top up. Are they definitely unlocked?
We're all on Virgin Mobile every phone we've ever bought from CPW has been unlocked and has worked. When it's not been available on Virgin we've just bought it with a different network SIM and then swapped them.

IIRC Virgin are still offering 12 months free data with every new smartphone

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/new...in-payg-addict

They were offering the Galaxy Ace on Virgin a few weeks ago for £80 but not any longer for some reason.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 15:17   #7
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

i recently got a Nokia Lumia 820 on O2 from carphone warehouse, it was unlocked as im using my Three sim card in it...
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 16:43   #8
BenJSmyth
Inactive

Well I went into the CPW today and picked up a Samsung Galaxy Y for £59.95, unlocked as everyone said it would be.

I assumed they would have stocks of boxed networked phones but it seems they have unlocked phones then bring out a separate SIM package.

All in all very pleased and the phone is excellent for the price.

Thanks to all
Old 01-12-2012, 16:45   #9
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Glad you got it sorted :-)
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 21:01   #10
BenJSmyth
Inactive

I rang up Virgin today to upgrade my 30 day rolling £5 a month SIM to one with data (the £7 a month rolling SIM). This was at about half 2 today. They gave me 20 free texts and 20 minutes whilst the change to the tariff was made. As of 9 o clock tonight my tariff has not been changed and my online account just shows the free minutes they added. It's as if I am not on a tariff at all.

How long does an upgrade to a new tariff usually take? They told me on the phone it usually takes half an hour or so, so I'm a little concerned.
Old 03-12-2012, 21:02   #11
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Actually one of the main marketing points of CPW subsidiaries is that they sell all their phones unlocked. Not sure if CPW themselves advertise the same, but it is deliberate.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote