Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | HTC Desire & gps data usage with Virgin mobile

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

HTC Desire & gps data usage with Virgin mobile

Old 05-04-2011, 22:11   #1
Fitze73
Inactive

Services: 2 X Sky+HD 1x LG blu ray home cinema, PS3, XBox360,W
Fitze73 has a spectacular aura about themFitze73 has a spectacular aura about themFitze73 has a spectacular aura about themFitze73 has a spectacular aura about them
HTC Desire & gps data usage with Virgin mobile

hi guys wondered if you could help ive got a htc desire, and im going to be doing to extensive travelling around the uk in may and i just wanted to know how much data google maps navigation uses, ive signed up to 1gb allowance with virgin mobile .... ive read on other forums it equates to something like 1mb to 8 miles , but wanted to know if anyone had any first hand knowledge

cheers

jon
Fitze73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-04-2011, 23:08   #2
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M
Re: HTC Desire & gps data usage with Virgin mobile

You'd be far better off getting Co-Pilot Live

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

Maps are stored on the phone
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 23:12   #3
Fitze73
Inactive

Fitze73 has a spectacular aura about themFitze73 has a spectacular aura about themFitze73 has a spectacular aura about themFitze73 has a spectacular aura about them

ye ive ordered that as well.... its just i dont want to get stung when using google maps nav , i havent used a android phone before so im a novice when it comes to things like data usage lol so i just needed to know how it faired
Old 06-04-2011, 10:00   #4
royaltiger
Inactive

Services: 50mb Broadband Ambit VMNG300 modem, Tivo, V+TVDrive Extra Large and NTL phone, Virgin mobile
royaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of light

I thought you download the google maps also to your phone and store them on sd card, so you should not be downloading anything when you use the navigation, or am I missing something.
royaltiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:19   #5
carmad
cf.member

Services: Virgin Media Tivo 1TB/Vivid200
carmad has a spectacular aura about themcarmad has a spectacular aura about themcarmad has a spectacular aura about themcarmad has a spectacular aura about them

I am sure the maps are on the phone as it always warns you before it updates them to use a wireless connection as it is a large file. I will check next time I sync the phone.
I they are not on the phone then it would be useless every time the phone lost it's connection with the 3G signal
carmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:41   #6
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Google Maps are NOT stored on the phone, if you set the route before you leave, it will cache the maps between you and your destination
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:59   #7
royaltiger
Inactive

Services: 50mb Broadband Ambit VMNG300 modem, Tivo, V+TVDrive Extra Large and NTL phone, Virgin mobile
royaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of light

Google Maps Navigation (Beta) works by communicating through your android powered devices mobile data connection to access routes, traffic, geographical and business information, etc... If you're driving in an area with spotty or no data connectivity, you'll still be able to use Google Maps Navigation (Beta) through the use of pre-fetched map data. Pre-fetched map data for your route is passively downloaded and stored locally on your device, and Google Maps Navigation (Beta) will rely on this data when your device loses its data connection.
Old 06-04-2011, 14:53   #8
jamie29
Inactive

Services: Ex VIP20...Dropped Talk international and added 50Mbps
jamie29 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
You'd be far better off getting Co-Pilot Live

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

Maps are stored on the phone
Second that comment! I've been using Co-Pilot since Version 5 on my old T Mobile SDA, then changed phones a few time since and Copilot has always been installed. Now on latest version on a HTC Desire HD and it's brill. Highly Recommended.
jamie29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 15:12   #9
royaltiger
Inactive

There is supposed to be a tomtom app for android coming soon, but how soon nobody knows. I tried copilot but found it could not calculate a route if slightly off road, ie in a hotel car park whereas tomtom can.
Old 07-04-2011, 23:14   #10
Fitze73
Inactive

only problem i have atm is im not showing the 3g icon on my mobile phones display, plus can only connect to the net via wifi please help
Old 08-04-2011, 13:30   #11
robolots
Inactive

robolots is an unknown quantity at this point

I can heartily recommend co pilot live. I'm using version 7 and have found it excellent. You can download a trial and try it for 14 days. I purchased a licence via Ebay for around £10.
I have used Tom Tom for as long as I care to remember, but have been pleasantly surprised by Co Pilot.
There are loads of free POI to download at pocket gps world (for all sat navs).

I'm using an app called nodata which sucessfully switches off the data usage (as I have found most modern smartphones can download huge amounts of data all the time and you not know). Google maps as mentioned above uses data so can be expensive if you have a limited data plan.

Not sure if this will help anyone, but when I first started using Co pilot. If I was to go on a journey and then use it again miles from where I was, it wouldn't always find the satelites-however there is an option to reset satelites and it always seems to pick up straight away using this option.

Ta
Rob
robolots is offline   Reply With Quote