Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | WiFi not working on one device

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

WiFi not working on one device

Old 27-07-2023, 17:31   #16
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 TV 360 boxes. 500mb BB, Phone line.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
Re: WiFi not working on one device

Yes, the problem is that all ipconfig commands fail with the Media disconnected warning.
I have gone through all the online suggestions to rectify that fault to no avail.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-07-2023, 17:38   #17
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Other than reset network settings on this link..

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-...just-6-clicks/

Would be easier to do a clean install of windows. That said, it could be the router that's the problem and not the PC. Can you reset to factory settings on the Hub itself using the pinhole at the back?

Running out of ideas now, something doesn't add up.
Old 27-07-2023, 19:02   #18
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
Other than reset network settings on this link..

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-...just-6-clicks/

Would be easier to do a clean install of windows. That said, it could be the router that's the problem and not the PC. Can you reset to factory settings on the Hub itself using the pinhole at the back?

Running out of ideas now, something doesn't add up.
you would try an in place reinstall using the upgrade option surely before a clean install ?
Old 27-07-2023, 19:24   #19
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
you would try an in place reinstall using the upgrade option surely before a clean install ?
Yeah you're right, whatever or whichever is best. Probably it's just me as I class any re-installation of windows as a clean install, and I admit it's wrong. It's because I use a clean 'image' back up of windows which only takes me 5-10 minutes to revert to. So I very rarely if ever do the upgrade way to reinstall if there's a problem.
Old 27-07-2023, 19:27   #20
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

I have used backupper for years and keep a regular known good full system image with all install
Old 28-07-2023, 08:28   #21
peanut
NUTS !!

Iadom, did you try a factory reset of your Hub? Using the pinhole at the back and holding it in for at least 10 seconds?
Old 28-07-2023, 09:32   #22
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

If the hub/router was the problem why does wifi work perfectly on four other devices and why am I getting Media Disconnected warnings whenever I try to use ipconfig commands?

Have done a network reset three times.

Laptop is around 7 years old now and flags up as not suitable for Win 11 upgrade. And not easy to do upgrades without internet connection.

Last edited by iadom; 28-07-2023 at 09:38.
Old 28-07-2023, 09:40   #23
peanut
NUTS !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadom View Post
If the hub/router was the problem why does wifi work perfectly on four other devices and why am I getting Media Disconnected warnings whenever I try to use ipconfig commands?
Not sure but things like this tends to be a process of elimination. So it's always worth a try just to rule it out.

Usually for that error then...

netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Followed by checking if the network adapter is enable, would usually fix the problem of the media disconnected error.
Old 28-07-2023, 09:43   #24
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Maybe obvious, but the thing that triggered this off was the introduction of your phone to the hub? Are things in the right sockets does the phone work? Disconnect the phone from the hub reboot and try?
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2023, 09:43   #25
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Does the laptop connect through a cable?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2023, 10:21   #26
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

The laptop will not connect via wifi or ethernet cable.

Did unplug the phone .

Have gone through the whole of the reset Winsock procedures two or three times..
Old 28-07-2023, 10:48   #27
peanut
NUTS !!

Apart from factory reset of your hub which is still worth a try, the only other option I can see is to repair windows from settings (system / recovery).

Back up any important files etc to another partition, external or disks etc.
Old 28-07-2023, 11:10   #28
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Surely any problems on the hub would still not cause the Media Disconnected error message on the laptop. Apart from the two tablets and two smartphones we have a Portal, Echo Dot, CCTV system and a couple of TV’s all connected to the hub and all functioning correctly.

Irrespective of the hub I should still be able to use ipconfig commands on the laptop.
Old 28-07-2023, 11:17   #29
peanut
NUTS !!

Can you use your phone as a wifi hotspot and see if the laptop connects to that?
Old 28-07-2023, 11:32   #30
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Quote:
Apart from factory reset of your hub which is still worth a try, the only other option I can see is to repair windows from settings (system / recovery).

Back up any important files etc to another partition, external or disks etc.
Just looking at this option I cannot see a recovery option in Settings / System?

---------- Post added at 11:32 ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 ----------

Quote:
Can you use your phone as a wifi hotspot and see if the laptop connects to that?
Will have a look at that but as it will not connect via Ethernet either I doubt that will work.