Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 28-05-2012, 20:44   #1486
ileikcaek
cf.addict

ileikcaek has disabled reputation
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

I've noticed a nationwide spike of packet loss on VM graphs, just before 8pm, it's something I have noticed happening from time to time ever since VM had the so called "routing issue" that is *supposedly* fixed now.
ileikcaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-05-2012, 21:47   #1487
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

The packet loss spikes were nothing to do with VM and there is no routing issue.

---------- Post added at 21:47 ---------- Previous post was at 21:45 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabscars View Post
So far it looks pretty good, speedtest's (and the routers sync speed) indicate I'm getting the full 40Mbps Down and 2Mbps Up near as damn it.
What exactly do you get for your speedtest results? I'm curious if it's any higher than BT's, since BT's IP profile limits your speed to below what your line can handle and Sky bypass it.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 23:03   #1488
jamonymo
Inactive

Services: 100mb virgin media tivo
jamonymo is an unknown quantity at this point

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

virgin are cowboys look at my super crappy 100mb
jamonymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 23:14   #1489
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Qas, I can't do any just now (need to be wired) but when I checked this morning using http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/ I got a touch over 40,000kbps Down and 1800Kbps up,

Router Stats

Modem Status Connected
DownStream Connection Speed 39998 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 1999 kbps
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 00:35   #1490
babis3g
Inactive

Services: >100Mb<TV M+,TiVo 1T,V HD >Phone M
babis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickymallory View Post
I've noticed a nationwide spike of packet loss on VM graphs, just before 8pm, it's something I have noticed happening from time to time ever since VM had the so called "routing issue" that is *supposedly* fixed now.
yea me too just before 8
and by the way since the problem with routing i have more jitter and congestion
the red spikes before is becouse i reboot the router

babis3g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 06:24   #1491
RealDiamond
Inactive

Services: Free^60meg No, Free^30meg Yes, TV M, Phone M. Running Kubuntu 12.04+Chromium Browser On Free laptop
RealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really nice

Subtopic : Any one else had problems with TBB site not loading.
RealDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 07:25   #1492
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealDiamond View Post
Subtopic : Any one else had problems with TBB site not loading.
Yup
Old 29-05-2012, 08:50   #1493
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Nope.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 08:56   #1494
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.

Working now though.
Old 29-05-2012, 09:02   #1495
pabscars
Inactive

pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Slightly longer period available now and on the face of it, it appears ok

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
Old 29-05-2012, 11:39   #1496
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

nice. hows gaming going? have you tested Skys gaming profile?
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 12:00   #1497
Foo Fighter
cf.addict

Foo Fighter will become famous soon enoughFoo Fighter will become famous soon enoughFoo Fighter will become famous soon enough

My connections been crap for 2 months ever since i upgraded from 10mb. Ring Virgin weekly and dont seem to be getting anywere.

any ideas? a engineer came and fitted a attenuator to the modem and seemed ok for a week. Im going to set up a ping monitor on my brothers modem down the road. He's also having issues but virgin always say its a local issue that will be fixed by certain hour
Foo Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 12:06   #1498
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabscars View Post
Slightly longer period available now and on the face of it, it appears ok

Looks pretty good, except the two big spikes which I'm guessing were you doing something intensive (speedtesting?)

The background yellow "fuzz" is something that's peculiar to Sky, and I see it on their ADSL2+ LLU connections too. The fact that it's less apparent at peak times suggests it may be a power saving/idle "feature" either on their network or their CPE.

If you'd like you can PM me your IP so I can set up my own ping monitor so your connection gets pinged 5 times a second instead of just one, that usually gets rid of the "sleep" or "low power" fuzz on most routers.

---------- Post added at 12:06 ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
nice. hows gaming going? have you tested Skys gaming profile?
There's no gaming profile on FTTC (yet)
Old 29-05-2012, 12:37   #1499
pabscars
Inactive

qas, yes your dead right about the spikes, I was seeing what the download speed was like last night so downloaded 2 demo's off xbox live, one was a 750MB file that took just about 2 minutes it seemed and a 1.8 gig demo took I'm guessing about 6 to 7 mins (ish) but basically they flew down.

Re: the pinging of my router I'd rather not qas, nothing sinister it's just this router isn't particularly brilliant and I wouldn't want it effecting my gaming .

Whilst on the topic of gaming, I'd say so far I've not noticed much difference, I've only played a few games of MW3 via my xbox and it seemed just the same as before, some games play great though , others can be hard work, it just depends who's hosting. However I did notice I was put in quite a few games with a 75ms ping instead of 50ms.

However all games played smoothly with no warping or typical lagging, even when playing games hosted in Germany, France etc. So in short it's too soon to say.

The main benefit I'd say so far is being able to game, download stuff, while the wife is gaming on FB and listening to YouTube all at the same time.

Theres no way I could have done this before without some sacrifice.
Old 29-05-2012, 12:55   #1500
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

I could limit the pinging to 4-6am if that helps, I'm just curious as to whether the idle fluff is something peculiar to Sky's network as a whole or a "feature" of their own routers. I'm assuming you're using their default supplied router (you'd have to be to be getting the line stats from it, nobody's figured out how to do it otherwise without a hacked modem)

Glad it's worked out for you though. There've been quite a few people over at TBB's forums reporting much lower speeds than expected on Sky FTTC and nobody's really figured out why.

In any case, I wonder what VM's next quarterly results will look like now there's some decent fibre LLU competition.