Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Outgoing mail server problems with iPhone

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service > Webspace, E-Mail & Browsing Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Outgoing mail server problems with iPhone

Old 06-09-2009, 12:15   #16
bopdude
Inactive

bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to bopdude
Re: Outgoing mail server problems with iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraduncan View Post
tx - looks a useful link. still confused tho. what i want is what i used to have:
So am I, did you set a new rule or at least try and follow the guide, if so, what went wrong ?

Quote:
:
1. my personal and work emails sync'd with my mobile phone
Synced or forwarded to the iphone, I had my forewarded so I had a copy on both my iphone and on the pc.

Quote:
2. my other gmail account (which i use for online purchases etc to avoid spam) to remain on my laptop
So don't forward this account and it won't be forwarded.

Quote:
3. to continue to use Outlook not OE.
As per link, you can use Outlook.

Quote:
4. to do all this using virgin media as isp
You can, you can set up multiple forwards to the iphone, I used to get my gmail and my VM email address forwarded, again, have you at least tried to follow the links set up.
bopdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-09-2009, 21:06   #17
lauraduncan
Inactive

lauraduncan is an unknown quantity at this point

yes i have tried - but will again. tx for such a detailed reply.
lauraduncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 23:15   #18
bopdude
Inactive

bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
yes i have tried - but will again. tx for such a detailed reply.
No problem, at what stage is it getting fouled up ?
Old 09-09-2009, 01:56   #19
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
tx - looks a useful link. still confused tho. what i want is what i used to have:
1. my personal and work emails sync'd with my mobile phone
2. my other gmail account (which i use for online purchases etc to avoid spam) to remain on my laptop
3. to continue to use Outlook not OE.
4. to do all this using virgin media as isp

am beginning to wish i had stayed with my old isp. at least everything worked
I've just tried it on Outlook 2007 with all the various so called alternative port settings for SMTP - that is using my NTLWORLD account from the O2 ISP. It doesn't work. That deals with your point #1.

You didn't mention this as a problem. Is it?

Point #3: Just use Outlook not OE. Don't worry about VM not trained on OE - their advice isn't worth as much as what you get on this forum.

Point #4: Doesn't apply to your iPhone! I learned a long time ago not to use NTLWORLD or affiliate as my main e-mail addy. On my O2 mobile, I use Webmail which requires no port numbers or anything like that.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:55   #20
lauraduncan
Inactive

Right. Have followed the links and created a new rule which forwards my emails to my googlemail account (assume that is what you mean by gmail).
Have actually returned the iphone as it wasn't getting reception around my house so was actually useless. Back to the BlackBerry which had the same problem. It receives emails but doesn't send them.
What smtp server setttings should I have on my phone? on the iphone I had tried both my virgin ones and the o2 ones and neither worked. Back with vodafone now, but that's irrelevant I think.
Help!
Old 09-09-2009, 09:09   #21
bopdude
Inactive

You can't use VM to send from a moblie as has been said, with all due respect, the problem isn't the handsets / phones, I don't think you properly understand. It doesn't matter what gadget you use ( other than laptop ) you can't send VM mail from a device not on their network. AFAIK.

There said it twice.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:30   #22
lauraduncan
Inactive

bear with me please! i get it. do i have to use googlemail to send mail from my phone then?
Old 09-09-2009, 09:39   #23
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

You can send mail using any web mail service to which you are subscribed at the phone. This overcomes all SMTP problems.

You are then at the mercy of your subscribed service as to whether or not you can permanently set mail forwarding for received mails. This usually requires an Exchange server connected for reading with POP3 to work.

I would recommend not using a Virgin e-mail address as your default/provider of choice because of these problems. I use MSN and BTinternet as two e-mail subscriptions that are available from everywhere. Googlemail is also good (and reasonably feature rich) but I object to the handle "Googlemail" used in the UK (Gmail everywhere else is OK with me).
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:49   #24
bopdude
Inactive

Quote:
bear with me please! i get it. do i have to use googlemail to send mail from my phone then?

You don't have to but it's easy, quick and it works, what more do you need, if you want people to know your replying on the move there's options for that.