Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2009)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2009)
Closed Thread

Old 23-06-2009, 21:56   #1516
akki007
Inactive

Services: TiVo XL, L BB, L Phone
akki007 is a name known to allakki007 is a name known to allakki007 is a name known to allakki007 is a name known to allakki007 is a name known to allakki007 is a name known to allakki007 is a name known to allakki007 is a name known to all
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2009)

[QUOTE=Andrewcrawford23;34820043]
Quote:
Originally Posted by one2escape View Post

Firstly it was not me that wrote that the quoting broke.

Secondly they DO NOT NEED TO GET ON THE HD BANDWAGON it is nicher market and the ones who want it are already on sky
It's a niche market AT THE MOMENT. Not for long though my friend. Satellite TV had a niche market when it first came out....is that still the case? No. So, Virgin do NEED to get a move on with HD channels otherwise they will be left behind in a market that is niche, only AT THE MOMENT. I thank you.

Remember when Bill Gates supposedly said "640K of memory should be enough for anybody". Well, this is the equivalent of what you are saying now.
Advertisement
Old 23-06-2009, 22:12   #1517
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Settle down guys.....

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 23-06-2009, 22:51   #1518
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

Let me solve a few irrated problems, which are arising on this thread, I have read several articles on ESPN and the Setanta aggro.

The Premier League on ESPN, will be in HD, they have said this, and l think this wuill be a sticking point for VM, and would that be a problem for XL customers, l think so, at the moment they pay £10.00 per month for this channel as it is a stand alone channel, IF VM can get this on the same package deal as the Setanta one which is FREE to XL customers, this would then be unfair to the customers who have actually paid for it. But l think that VM will come up with something, But l wouldn't pay for it, unless they have other football ie Scottish and Blue Square on it.
Old 23-06-2009, 23:12   #1519
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

....raise the price of the XL pack perhaps might solve this "dilemma", something that is going to happen anyway. Now there could be a good excuse for VM to do it...
Old 23-06-2009, 23:15   #1520
Nook29
Inactive

Services: Virgin XL TV, V+, 10mb broadband, phone
Nook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to behold

ESPN won't be very big here unless they get more football or other major sports. The Premier League, whilst a good start, isn't enough.
Old 23-06-2009, 23:52   #1521
Hiroki
Inactive

Services: SkyHD, Freesat & Virgin Media TV/BB
Hiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful one
Send a message via MSN to Hiroki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
....raise the price of the XL pack perhaps might solve this "dilemma", something that is going to happen anyway. Now there could be a good excuse for VM to do it...
One excuse not to do it is because it would **** a lot of people who despise sport and would loose them business.

Personally if they upped the package for sport (even hd sport) i'll downgrade my package and buy a dodgy box.
Old 24-06-2009, 01:14   #1522
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze age
TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
at the moment they pay £10.00 per month for this channel as it is a stand alone channel
The channel you can currently get on VM (espn america) and the other espn channel available on sky (espn classic) are irrelevant as they have already stated that the premier league rights will be launched on a new channel, so it won't be unfair to anyone.

We'll likely see an ESPN UK launched that carries similar sports to what setanta does now, you can pretty much gaurentee that ESPN are working away to tie up the rights to the main sports that setanta have now dropped.
Old 24-06-2009, 10:36   #1523
one2escape
Inactive

one2escape is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by akki007 View Post

It's a niche market AT THE MOMENT. Not for long though my friend. Satellite TV had a niche market when it first came out....is that still the case? No. So, Virgin do NEED to get a move on with HD channels otherwise they will be left behind in a market that is niche, only AT THE MOMENT. I thank you.

Remember when Bill Gates supposedly said "640K of memory should be enough for anybody". Well, this is the equivalent of what you are saying now.
You not quoting me there.
Old 24-06-2009, 11:58   #1524
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 View Post
when are people goign to accept only a select minioty of people want hd, myself included hence why i have always said if you want hd go to sky which i will for hd soon enouigh but i will still keep virgin because they will get hd eventally and the vod is far superior.

if virgin could not hold of any longer they would be having a lot of peopel leaving but all resultws suggest otherwise they are inceasing for tv not descreasing so hd is not a pirioty in that sense becaus ehtey can hold out.
Can't agree with you there, Andrew. People do tend to remain with existing suppliers, whatever the business concerned - they get lazy. However, VM are shooting themselves in the foot if they don't invest now in HD because they simply won't get so many new customers. Go to places like John Lewis, and you never hear them promoting Virgin Media, it is always Sky, Sky, Sky. Why? Because technologically they have more to offer. VM really need to sort themselves out if they are going to increase their customer base. VM cannot survive by VOD alone, and soon Sky will have that too.
Old 24-06-2009, 13:12   #1525
akki007
Inactive

Services: TiVo XL, L BB, L Phone
akki007 is a name known to allakki007 is a name known to allakki007 is a name known to allakki007 is a name known to allakki007 is a name known to allakki007 is a name known to allakki007 is a name known to allakki007 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2escape View Post
You not quoting me there.
I have no idea. I'm quoting every single last mother....

sorry!
Old 24-06-2009, 13:14   #1526
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1701-e
VM viewers in N Ireland got the same Setanta channels as in GB. D/Spy indicates that the ROI channel Setanta Ireland will broadcast to NI but some programming can't be carried such as F1, FA Cup etc.
Will VM XL viewers get that channel then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 View Post
No all setenta owned and run channel sin the uk are now closed setenta ireland is different just liek setenta america and canda and australia there all serpeate business it only setenta uk that closed setenta from ireland can not be carried in the uk due to broadcast rights
I refer to the DS article http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/broadcas...n-ireland.html where it says
"In a statement, Setanta Ireland explained: "Setanta Sports Ireland will now cover broadcasting in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. Please note that there are different levels of coverage available in Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland, and the full programme content will be advised in due course."

Begs the question therefore Will VM XL viewers get that channel instead?
Old 24-06-2009, 13:58   #1527
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1701-e View Post
I refer to the DS article http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/broadcas...n-ireland.html where it says
"In a statement, Setanta Ireland explained: "Setanta Sports Ireland will now cover broadcasting in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. Please note that there are different levels of coverage available in Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland, and the full programme content will be advised in due course."

Begs the question therefore Will VM XL viewers get that channel instead?
i answer your question no because of contractual rights
Old 24-06-2009, 15:15   #1528
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze age
TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Go to places like John Lewis, and you never hear them promoting Virgin Media, it is always Sky, Sky, Sky. Why? Because technologically they have more to offer.
Sorry, this is rubbish.

Stores promote sky because sky pay them to do so. Not because the stores have decided sky is better.

You get free sky HD boxes at tesco when you buy a new tv not because the head of tesco thinks sky have a superior HD offering, but because sky went to him and said "we'll give you xx million if you push people to sign up to our service!"

Now why do they need to do that if people are so interested in HD? Surely it's a product that would sell itself. They have 30odd HD channels, the next highest is 2, surely they don't need to push it on people if they're all clamoring for HD... unless of course the mass market consumer really isn't that interested in it?
Old 24-06-2009, 15:20   #1529
Nook29
Inactive

Services: Virgin XL TV, V+, 10mb broadband, phone
Nook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to behold

The majority of TV viewers don't care for HD. Most people will have a standard Sky box, or normaly Sky+, or the normal Virgin service. Then there are the rest with Freeview boxes, which leaves the minority of people in this country with HD receivers.

Right now, HD isn't a big deal, but it will be in the next few years.
Old 24-06-2009, 17:06   #1530
rodster
Inactive

rodster is an unknown quantity at this point

We then need to ask the question why the hell do vigin offer a hd box yeah some on demand hd but there is only so many times you can watch blue planet/ planet earth in hd. Yeah we have bbc hd but lets be honest how much stuff do you see thats really worth watchin on bbc hd..... I have spoken to virgin re cancelin my contract as I took it on the base they were going to offer more hd channels in the 1st quarter of this year.. there answer you signed a contract tough luck, take legal advice/ take us to court etc etc

Now i can also argue I signed up based on the fact I was gettin setanta free I wonder what they will say then !!! Yup tough luck mate, So unless I buy my self out of the contract Im stuck till jan 2010. Then I will spread my wings and fly. Whats the point in me havin a top hd tv and sound system and havin sod all hd content to watch .

virgin should not keep telling customers they are getting things when they clearly are not. I'll give it another 18 months and Mr branson will remove his remaining stake in virgin and take his brand name with him.

Before you say it yeah I know HD channels coming soon HA HA HA
Closed Thread