Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | No surround sound using Sky HD

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

No surround sound using Sky HD

Old 02-07-2009, 15:05   #1
bifty
Inactive

bifty is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy No surround sound using Sky HD

Hi everyone,
I have just had Sky HD installed this week after upgrading from Sky+. I have a Plasma Panasonic which receives Freesat etc. A Phillips surround system which worked fine with Sky+.
I have an optical lead fitted from the Sky box to the surround system.
I get SS when watching Freesat, Freeview or analogue. When I switch on Sky HD the sound will only work through the TV?
I have tried a scart lead into Sky and that works with SS. It seems to be the HDMI cable which overrides the optical lead. I have checked the settings in Sky / TV and tried everything (I think!)
Does anybody out there have any ideas what I can do.
bifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-07-2009, 15:09   #2
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M
Re: No surround sound using Sky HD

Go Services->System Setup->Audio Settings and play about with the settings in there
HTH
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 17:51   #3
bifty
Inactive

bifty is an unknown quantity at this point

Have tried that and nothing doing.
The HDMI setting on the TV is set to digital. I have tried the optical lead from the Sky box and also directly from the TV. Which is the correct set up?
bifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 13:34   #4
WozzaTT
Inactive

WozzaTT is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bifty View Post
Hi everyone,
I have just had Sky HD installed this week after upgrading from Sky+. I have a Plasma Panasonic which receives Freesat etc. A Phillips surround system which worked fine with Sky+.
I have an optical lead fitted from the Sky box to the surround system.
I get SS when watching Freesat, Freeview or analogue. When I switch on Sky HD the sound will only work through the TV?
I have tried a scart lead into Sky and that works with SS. It seems to be the HDMI cable which overrides the optical lead. I have checked the settings in Sky / TV and tried everything (I think!)
Does anybody out there have any ideas what I can do.
Hi - I have this exact same problem. Did you ever resolve it?

Optical cable worked fine from Sky+ box to surround sound but with Sky HD it only works if you unplug it and then plug it back in each time you switch on which is very annoying!

It seems that the Sky HD box only recognises the optical cable if the signal is interrupted and then re-connected??!
WozzaTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 21:41   #5
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

Unsure if set up for Virgin V+ box is the same but I have to feed sound via optical cable from the TV to the S/S box.
progers is offline   Reply With Quote