Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Tivo has just had a update but what update is it?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Tivo has just had a update but what update is it?

Old 10-05-2011, 22:28   #76
pythagoras
cf.addict

pythagoras has reached the bronze age
pythagoras has reached the bronze age
Re: Tivo has just had a update but what update is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
What does the Media access key do exactly.
It allows another box to access the programmes recorded on that particular box. I suspect for VM it will allow other boxes on your local network to access recordings on other boxes on your local network, that you feed in the media access key for.

In the states it allows pcs as well as set top boxes to access and play those recordings. It looks like VM havnt got permission for the PC access part, as yet.

Regards

John.
pythagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2011, 23:01   #77
WDLaserjetGLOVER
Inactive

WDLaserjetGLOVER is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know if it is related, but my picture has developed thin black sidebars today.
Anyone else?

Seems ok now??
WDLaserjetGLOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 23:20   #78
i love virgin
Inactive

Services: Virgin
i love virgin is an unknown quantity at this point

Just got back home after being out all day but my box is much slower then it was before the update.
i love virgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 23:47   #79
WDLaserjetGLOVER
Inactive

WDLaserjetGLOVER is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by i love virgin View Post
Just got back home after being out all day but my box is much slower then it was before the update.
I have found the Tivo far slower to change channel than the V+ ever was.
WDLaserjetGLOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:50   #80
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

l am sure things will be ironed out as with all new boxes its has little teething problems.
denphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:33   #81
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDLaserjetGLOVER View Post
I have found the Tivo far slower to change channel than the V+ ever was.
Have you got multiple output resolution settings for your TV? I had my TiVo set for 720p for SD and 1080i for HD, which made switching between the two painfully slow as the TV would "ping" and adjust each time. I've now switched back to 720p for both and it's as quick as the Samsung V+ ever was.
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:59   #82
BenJSmyth
Inactive

Services: Sky TV in the living room, Freeview in the bedroom. Plusnet Unlimited Fibre
BenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialli View Post
Have you got multiple output resolution settings for your TV? I had my TiVo set for 720p for SD and 1080i for HD, which made switching between the two painfully slow as the TV would "ping" and adjust each time. I've now switched back to 720p for both and it's as quick as the Samsung V+ ever was.
Just read your blog about this to Nialli. I leave mine on 1080i only. To my eyes I find the HD picture is sharper on that than at 720p although SD is slightly more blurry. But to be honest, since having Tivo, recording something is SD is a rarity.

Perhaps one other thing about the SD PQ from my point of view is that because pretty much all my viewing is in HD, when I do watch an SD programme I think the difference is exaggerated.

For me PQ isn't an issue and I love my Tivo!
BenJSmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:16   #83
savvychels
cf.geek

Services: VIP120 w/ TiVo x2
savvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDLaserjetGLOVER View Post
I don't know if it is related, but my picture has developed thin black sidebars today.
Anyone else?

Seems ok now??
Is this for pictures that would normally be stretched to wide? There is a setting in picture settings called 'panel' which means that 4:3 photos show in 4:3 with sidebars rather than being stretched and looking like something out of a funhouse (sorry I can't bear watching wrongly formatted picture).
savvychels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:37   #84
JayAy
Inactive

JayAy will become famous soon enoughJayAy will become famous soon enoughJayAy will become famous soon enough

According to one of the Forum Team on the VM Tivo help forum, yesterday's update included a fix for direct access to VOD material form the EPG history.
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...nt/td-p/488981
JayAy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:45   #85
SOSAGES
Inactive

SOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of society

so since the update i cant use my Tivo pressing home/guide brings up a nice red wheel and that stays like that for 15 or so mins.
any ideas chaps? or should i give it a reboot.
SOSAGES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:46   #86
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Reboot, imho.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:52   #87
OLDGOLD
cf.addict

OLDGOLD will become famous soon enoughOLDGOLD will become famous soon enoughOLDGOLD will become famous soon enough

Since the update I've noticed that access to You Tube appears in the Search & Browse menu and in My Shows. Was this part of the update, or have I just never noticed it before?
OLDGOLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:58   #88
BenJSmyth
Inactive

Services: Sky TV in the living room, Freeview in the bedroom. Plusnet Unlimited Fibre
BenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of light

I believe this has always been there.
Old 11-05-2011, 14:35   #89
OLDGOLD
cf.addict

OLDGOLD will become famous soon enoughOLDGOLD will become famous soon enoughOLDGOLD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJSmyth View Post
I believe this has always been there.
Perhaps my box needed a reboot to show it, like the channel logos. Until the update, my TiVo had never been rebooted.
OLDGOLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 14:41   #90
BenJSmyth
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDGOLD View Post
Perhaps my box needed a reboot to show it, like the channel logos. Until the update, my TiVo had never been rebooted.
Probably yes. Should we be rebooting our boxes manually every now and again just to keep it running smoothly. I know it isn't running a Microsoft OS so shouldn't need it, but is it still worthwhile to do?!