Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Tivo has just had a update but what update is it?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Richard Branson believes TiVo is a "weapon" against Sky

Old 10-03-2011, 19:16   #1
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Richard Branson believes TiVo is a "weapon" against Sky

So it says here, anyway: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/...on-against-sky

Discuss.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2011, 19:21   #2
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Richard Branson believes TiVo is a "weapon" against Sky

It is a good product and competition is always good , get some more HD channels and the TiVo apps out there and VM could be cooking with gas. Just a thought but does anyone think if TIVo did eat into some of Sky's subscriber base that it could make them rethink the HD charge.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 19:21   #3
Gunslinger
cf.addict

Services: VM XL, Tivo, BB, Prime, Now TV, Tennis TV
Gunslinger is on a distinguished roadGunslinger is on a distinguished road

It would do Sir Richard no good moving to the Isle of Wight to get a Tivo, as you can't get VM cable TV on the island!
Gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 19:22   #4
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
It would do Sir Richard no good moving to the Isle of Wight to get a Tivo, as you can't get VM cable TV on the island!
Meantime, Branson has been left wondering whether he should sell his Carribean paradise Necker Island and move to the Isle of Wight, so he can have a Virgin Media TiVo box of his own.

I spotted that one too "wightcable " supply the island.
Old 10-03-2011, 19:22   #5
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
He could afford to lay a cable over LOL
Old 10-03-2011, 19:39   #6
mersey70
Inactive

Services: TV M, L BB, Sky+ HD
mersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant future

God love him, I really like Sir Richard but he is a bit gaff prone isn't he.

But what on earth has the man done to his face, he's on his way to looking like Joan Rivers!
mersey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 19:40   #7
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersey70 View Post
God love him, I really like Sir Richard but he is a bit gaff prone isn't he.

But what on earth has the man done to his face, he's on his way to looking like Joan Rivers!
ha ha

Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 19:41   #8
mersey70
Inactive

Services: TV M, L BB, Sky+ HD
mersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
ha ha

Ha ha, it was catty.

True though!
mersey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:11   #9
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

[QUOTE=muppetman11;35190851]It is a good product and competition is always good , get some more HD channels and the TiVo apps out there and VM could be cooking with gas. Just a thought but does anyone think if TIVo did eat into some of Sky's subscriber base that it could make them rethink the HD charge.[/QUOTE]

sky will never drop HD charge it makes them far to much money they not want to lose that
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:17   #10
Zing

If Branson wanted a weapon against Sky why did Virgin stitch themselves up by selling the channels?
Old 11-03-2011, 14:22   #11
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Because Virgin doesn't believe that owning linear channels is a weapon. VM has decided that content delivery is the thing it does best. Pushing the speed of its internet, the versatility of its TiVo set-top box and the range of mobile handsets/tariffs it can provide is all in the game plan for VM's marketing over the next year or so. Bragging about the channels it owns is not (and, for the NTL half of the business at least, never really has been).
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 14:49   #12
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zing View Post
If Branson wanted a weapon against Sky why did Virgin stitch themselves up by selling the channels?
I can understand your argument but I can see also why VM sold , let's not forget we got movies and sport in HD , some of the Sky basics in HD and sports red button.
Old 11-03-2011, 16:15   #13
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
VM don't see any real benefit in owning content, they are a platform. NTL never owned any content, it was Telewest that owned Flextech (VMtv).

They are concentrating on their Next Generation platform now.

before anyone says it, owning content and having it on your platform are very different things.
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 16:17   #14
Zing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Because Virgin doesn't believe that owning linear channels is a weapon. VM has decided that content delivery is the thing it does best. Pushing the speed of its internet, the versatility of its TiVo set-top box and the range of mobile handsets/tariffs it can provide is all in the game plan for VM's marketing over the next year or so. Bragging about the channels it owns is not (and, for the NTL half of the business at least, never really has been).
The only reason I paid any subscription to VM tv was for VOD. I have Sky HD which I find better anyway. When HBO went from on demand all interest I had in VMs product went with it so now I am just on M riding out my contract.

I like the idea of Tivo and if I have to leave Sky I would like a Tivo box but its certainly not a draw for me anyway
Old 11-03-2011, 17:03   #15
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
The only reason I paid any subscription to VM tv was for VOD. I have Sky HD which I find better anyway. When HBO went from on demand all interest I had in VMs product went with it so now I am just on M riding out my contract.

I like the idea of Tivo and if I have to leave Sky I would like a Tivo box but its certainly not a draw for me anyway
That is a fair point many people have different opinions if it's content your after then sky is good where as VM excel in BB and On Demand/Catchup , it's really all about personal preference.