Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Britain outside the EU

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Britain outside the EU

Old 03-09-2022, 20:17   #4516
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
Re: Britain outside the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I have answered them, Grim. My point is simply that there is a lot of scope to change the EU laws that are currently in force in Britain, for the benefit of business.

There’s nothing controversial about this, and I am not the only one making this point.
Oh my mistake, I must have blinked and missed them. I've gone back and checked and still can't see them. Did anyone else notice his answers?
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2022, 20:25   #4517
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
Oh my mistake, I must have blinked and missed them. I've gone back and checked and still can't see them. Did anyone else notice his answers?
I did
Old 03-09-2022, 21:56   #4518
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
God, more conflation from this man. He's just interested in trading insults instead of debating.
Yet OB it is you, far more than anyone else in this thread, who harps back to the referendum more than anyone else.

We’ve invited you to name a single regulation that could be changed and to quantify what that means for the economy, living standards, jobs and you have not.

Indeed, it’s quite a paradox that these open goals exist yet our Conservative government with a commanding majority haven’t simply tapped the ball into the net. Despite this, your enemy is the lay voter who disagrees with you and is inconsequential to whether change occurs.

We have at least uncovered some background to your hatred for the British worker.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 22:20   #4519
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
I know what I noticed and that's the fact that this thread is going nowhere with constant digs and sniping.
Old 03-09-2022, 22:38   #4520
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
I know what I noticed and that's the fact that this thread is going nowhere with constant digs and sniping.
It is becoming a little tiresome.

The sniping can stop now, or a few people are going to take a rest from this topic.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 09:54   #4521
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

I think that one issue with EU rules is how countries interpret and implement them. Our system tends to take the rules as "law" and forces obedience. Other countries take them as guidelines to be generally followed with a good pinch of common sense unless it applies to "foreigners" when for some reason whole layers of bureaucracy is involved.

I also think that it's the same here with our own laws. If the civil servants who get to implement things don't like it they can make it very hard to work.

Finally lots of rules are here because of people that break the rules. It should be easy to, for example, say that if you are unemployed after 2 weeks you can claim benefit that would include fuel bills being covered, food etc. But you have to then prevent people just claiming because they don't want to work, ensure that payments go to the right person and lots of other rules and regulations with exceptions and exceptions to the exceptions and so on. GDPR shouldn't really be needed, good companies should be doing that sort of thing anyway. You need a framework to tell them that maybe so they can ensure they design systems well and maybe outline punishments for abuse but not all the weight and work GDPR requires from everyone collecting data.
Old 05-09-2022, 11:13   #4522
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
I think that one issue with EU rules is how countries interpret and implement them. Our system tends to take the rules as "law" and forces obedience. Other countries take them as guidelines to be generally followed with a good pinch of common sense unless it applies to "foreigners" when for some reason whole layers of bureaucracy is involved.
It’s called “gold plating” and our civil service is exceptionally good at it. Those of them who rue the day we voted to leave the EU might find it useful to ponder the extent to which the culture they work in, and perpetuate, helped bring it about.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 23:20   #4523
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Not surprised to see the Minister for Brexit Opportunities position abolished. You can only keep an oxymoron of a job going for so long.
1andrew1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 08:42   #4524
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Not surprised to see the Minister for Brexit Opportunities position abolished. You can only keep an oxymoron of a job going for so long.
Indeed, I can’t think of a single thing he delivered whilst in post that warrants such a significant promotion

Cronyism over competence who would have thought it ?

Oh wait, he put some bits of paper on some desks
Old 08-09-2022, 09:23   #4525
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Indeed, I can’t think of a single thing he delivered whilst in post that warrants such a significant promotion

Cronyism over competence who would have thought it ?

Oh wait, he put some bits of paper on some desks
The funniest part of the article he wrote in the Sun about this was a picture that was supposed to show an empty Serious Fraud Squad office was in fact a picture of the Cabinet Office (where he worked…).

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 504D951C-89BF-4D66-A086-7F898140F4E8.jpeg (111.5 KB, 150 views)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 09:38   #4526
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
The funniest part of the article he wrote in the Sun about this was a picture that was supposed to show an empty Serious Fraud Squad office was in fact a picture of the Cabinet Office (where he worked…).
That was my major gripe with the Johnson regime - just blatantly not worrying about the truth.
Old 13-09-2022, 18:06   #4527
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https://www....reType=nongift

Quote:
Britain and the EU are preparing to avoid a diplomatic confrontation this week over post-Brexit trading arrangements on Northern Ireland, according to officials on both sides.

The sides are expected to agree a diplomatic finesse to avoid a September 15 legal deadline on grace periods becoming a flashpoint in the relationship, which has soured over the implementation of the Northern Ireland protocol on trade.

There were fears last month that Liz Truss, UK prime minister, might immediately trigger the Article 16 safeguards clause in the protocol to maintain the grace periods, which allow for temporary lighter-touch implementation of the deal, but insiders in London and Brussels said these have now have been allayed.

Instead, the UK is expected to make a written request to the European Commission to extend the light-touch implementation, and Brussels is expected to give informal consent by not lodging any objection.

A similar diplomatic fudge was agreed in July 2021. London says the continuation of the grace periods is the bare minimum for businesses pending a fundamental renegotiation of the protocol.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2022, 15:58   #4528
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Trade deal with US won't happen in 2022 as promised.
Quote:
Ahead of the meeting Ms Truss admitted a new trade deal with the United States is unlikely in the "short to medium term" and that no discussions were currently underway.

The UK government had previously promised a post-Brexit trade deal with the US by 2022.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62968072 (see end of article)
Old 20-09-2022, 16:15   #4529
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

US trade deal not in our hands. Remember, Biden is Irish.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2022, 16:18   #4530
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Trade deal with US won't happen in 2022 as promised.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62968072 (see end of article)
So what happens then?

Do we trade as per WTO rules like:-

Quote:
Despite the US being the EU’s largest trading partner, there is no dedicated free trade agreement between the EU and the US. The Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) negotiations were launched in 2013, but ended without conclusion at the end of 2016. They were formally closed in 2019 after being considered obsolete. Nevertheless, transatlantic trade continues to enjoy one of the lowest average tariffs (under 3%) in the world, governed by World Trade Organization (WTO) rules.

LINKAGE