Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Installing a router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Installing a router

Old 16-10-2014, 19:06   #1
FudgyBadger
Inactive

FudgyBadger is an unknown quantity at this point
Installing a router

Hello,

I currently have a router plugged in via ADSL, the wireless connection is very poor and I am looking for solutions.

If I purchase a router online that plugs into an AC outlet, will I be able to use that router in the house while the other router is plugged into ADSL?

Or in order to get a new router must I remove the current router and get a router that connects to ADSL?

Many thanks, sorry if I did not make this clear and I am not very informed in the realm of routers.
FudgyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-10-2014, 20:59   #2
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Installing a router

You may find these instructions useful.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...r-setup-thread
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 21:08   #3
FudgyBadger
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
You may find these instructions useful.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...r-setup-thread
Thank you.

Could someone however just directly answer my question to make it clearer for me.
Old 17-10-2014, 10:49   #4
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

OK home routers basically need 2 things

1)Connection to the ISP. For VM cable this is coax to our network, for ADSL this connects to your phone line. Sometimes this function is external to the router but some sort of device is needed.
2)Connections to the devices in the house. This is essentially the same regardless of provider.

In your case you already have the conversion to ADSL sorted it's the internal bit, especially wireless that you need to sort. There are a couple of solutions that would depend on your house and finances and ability.

First option could simply to look at where your router is positioned. Can you move it higher up, away from blockages, electrical equipment? Can you check other wireless networks in the area? Most ISP's simply leave all equipment on the same channel so it could be worth simply changing the wireless channel. Maybe check if you can update firmware but this has risks.

The easiest is to go out and buy a better ADSL specific router to replace you old one. This assumes that the wireless issue is due to naff equipment and not due to thick walls.

The cheapest is to connect a new router to the existing one via standard network cable. Again there are options here. You can keep the existing wireless running and use a long length of cable to position the other router somewhere else in the house. You would then set up this router as an access point so it simply provides wireless and wired access to your network but your old router still does all the work. What maybe easier (if possible) is to switch your existing router to modem or bridging mode and use the new router as your router. You can pick up fair routers cheaply and some cable. In this case you do not want an ADSL router as your second device.

You can achieve similar by using home plug devices so extend your network over the home mains. You need 2 devices here, one to plug in near your ADSL router and a second where you want the new wireless point to go. You can get wireless extenders that simply act as a wireless point. This is easy to setup but does depend on your home wiring. I tested some equipment and got really good rates on an outside plug point but really naff results in my study.
Old 17-10-2014, 18:43   #5
FudgyBadger
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
OK home routers basically need 2 things

1)Connection to the ISP. For VM cable this is coax to our network, for ADSL this connects to your phone line. Sometimes this function is external to the router but some sort of device is needed.
2)Connections to the devices in the house. This is essentially the same regardless of provider.

In your case you already have the conversion to ADSL sorted it's the internal bit, especially wireless that you need to sort. There are a couple of solutions that would depend on your house and finances and ability.

First option could simply to look at where your router is positioned. Can you move it higher up, away from blockages, electrical equipment? Can you check other wireless networks in the area? Most ISP's simply leave all equipment on the same channel so it could be worth simply changing the wireless channel. Maybe check if you can update firmware but this has risks.

The easiest is to go out and buy a better ADSL specific router to replace you old one. This assumes that the wireless issue is due to naff equipment and not due to thick walls.

The cheapest is to connect a new router to the existing one via standard network cable. Again there are options here. You can keep the existing wireless running and use a long length of cable to position the other router somewhere else in the house. You would then set up this router as an access point so it simply provides wireless and wired access to your network but your old router still does all the work. What maybe easier (if possible) is to switch your existing router to modem or bridging mode and use the new router as your router. You can pick up fair routers cheaply and some cable. In this case you do not want an ADSL router as your second device.

You can achieve similar by using home plug devices so extend your network over the home mains. You need 2 devices here, one to plug in near your ADSL router and a second where you want the new wireless point to go. You can get wireless extenders that simply act as a wireless point. This is easy to setup but does depend on your home wiring. I tested some equipment and got really good rates on an outside plug point but really naff results in my study.
Thanks!

So, if I decided to make my current router a modem and get a new router do you have any recommendations on a new router that I could use? And what cables would I need?

My current router is nothing short of atrocious.
Old 19-10-2014, 11:28   #6
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

If....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FudgyBadger View Post
sorry if I did not make this clear and I am not very informed in the realm of routers.
How comes you can come to this conclusion:

Quote:
My current router is nothing short of atrocious.
You are just wanting to get a better wireless signal - yes? Why not just buy a decent Wireless Access Point and you'll probably get a better signal.
Old 19-10-2014, 13:32   #7
FudgyBadger
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSainsbury View Post
If....

How comes you can come to this conclusion:

You are just wanting to get a better wireless signal - yes? Why not just buy a decent Wireless Access Point and you'll probably get a better signal.
I have the BTHomeHub 2, I think it's safe to say I need a better router because I have constant disconnections from my PS4 making any kind of online gaming an impossibility.
Old 19-10-2014, 15:20   #8
LSainsbury

Quote:
I have the BTHomeHub 2, I think it's safe to say I need a better router because I have constant disconnections from my PS4 making any kind of online gaming an impossibility.
HomeHub 2 and 3 are generally ok - as already said by somebody else - have you changed the Wi-Fi channel to test it?

And if you are online gaming, a wired connection is the better way to connect.
Old 19-10-2014, 16:08   #9
FudgyBadger
Inactive

Quote:
HomeHub 2 and 3 are generally ok - as already said by somebody else - have you changed the Wi-Fi channel to test it?

And if you are online gaming, a wired connection is the better way to connect.
1. I have changed the wireless channel a million times. (I live in a rural area where I am the only one using broaband in a ~300 meter radius)
2. A wired connection is impossible.
3. I get disconnected from online games every 5 minutes however the connection on the console does not disconnect implying packet drops (I think)

The router is at fault here as with my PC I never experience these drops in connection, something is f***ing up with the connection between the playstation and the router, have you got any ideas what it could be because it drives me nuts if I ever use the console.
Old 19-10-2014, 16:59   #10
LSainsbury

Well BT supply the HomeHub - either get them to swap it of buy a decent router.

If you run a constant ping to Google DNS does it drop when the game disconnects?
Old 19-10-2014, 18:38   #11
FudgyBadger
Inactive

Can you please recommend me a good ADSL router that has recent technology and won't cost me over £100 ?

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 18:38 ---------- Previous post was at 18:37 ----------

Quote:
Well BT supply the HomeHub - either get them to swap it of buy a decent router.

If you run a constant ping to Google DNS does it drop when the game disconnects?
The skype call I am in does not disconnect, it is just the game I am currently involved in. It is very odd what occurs but I want to upgrade this router as it is very old and I am sure I can get better wireless signals out of a more recent router.
Old 19-10-2014, 19:33   #12
LSainsbury

OK so you are using other internet based applications that don't disconnect - so how can you blame the router?

As I said, run a constant ping to Google DNS and then play the game. If the game drops out but the ping remains constant, I don't think you can blame the router.

Why can't you do a wired connection?
Old 19-10-2014, 20:02   #13
FudgyBadger
Inactive

Quote:
OK so you are using other internet based applications that don't disconnect - so how can you blame the router?

As I said, run a constant ping to Google DNS and then play the game. If the game drops out but the ping remains constant, I don't think you can blame the router.

Why can't you do a wired connection?
Because I cannot move the location of the router and a wire would be way to intrusive in my house as the location of the router is far from that of the location of the devices I use. Also I live with my mum so she won't let me.
Old 19-10-2014, 20:06   #14
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Have you thought distance may be the reason the wifi is dropping?

How far are the devices from the router, and what is between the router and the devices? (stone walls, brick walls, partitions, etc...).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 20:14   #15
FudgyBadger
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Have you thought distance may be the reason the wifi is dropping?

How far are the devices from the router, and what is between the router and the devices? (stone walls, brick walls, partitions, etc...).
The device is 20 meters from the router and on the floor above with a brick wall in between.

I have had this same issue with dropping for years and I have no real idea on how to resolve it.

I tried a wifi extender but the sockets in the house are not connected so it didn't work.