Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linksys WRT54GS Firmware

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Linksys WRT54GS Firmware

Old 04-06-2008, 05:13   #1
abailey152
Inactive

Services: 60Mb VM BB Sky+HD
abailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to abailey152 Send a message via Yahoo to abailey152
Linksys WRT54GS Firmware

Hi. I've got a Linksys WRT54GS v1.1 router, which I've had for a while. I was told that a possible cure for a problem I've recently had, would be to upgrade the firmware, the version currently being 3.37.2 which came with the router.

However, on the Linksys UK download site, there are no links to firmware for the v1.1. On the US site, there is new firmware available, 4.71.4.

I know that the UK wireless standard is different from the US standard (Our 13 channels to the US 11), but would I still be able to use the US firmware to upgrade my router, and would the wireless still work afterwards?

Many thanks
abailey152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2008, 09:22   #2
Nikesh
Inactive

Nikesh has reached the bronze age
Nikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze age
Re: Linksys WRT54GS Firmware

What problem are you having with the current firmware?
Nikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 15:49   #3
abailey152
Inactive

abailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant future

Partial downloads of some files. Only from one site. I thought it was Virgin's problem, until I totally disconnected my router, and connected directly to the cable modem.

This then works okay. Also, others I know with later versions of the WRT54GS are having no problems.

After digging around on Linksys, I found an update to the firmware for version 1.0 of my router, which says on of the fixes is for a problem like mine.

After asking around, a friend said that he'd had similar issues with the same model of router (but V1.0), and a firmware update fixed it.

However, the UK Linksys site shows no firmware updates for v1.1, which is very strange as the US site has got an update, and a much later firmware version.

Alternatively, there's the firmware for V1.0 from the UK site. However, I'm still not clear whether firmware for a V1.0 router will actually work on a V1.1 router.

I'm not prepared to take a chance and it's a minefield with all the firmware versions, and WRT54GS router versions. It looks like I'm going to have to phone Linksys support.

---------- Post added at 15:49 ---------- Previous post was at 15:17 ----------

*** UPDATE ***

Okay, I've managed to get through to Linksys support (easier than expected).

They've told me that I can use the v4.71.4 firmware from the US, but I would lose a couple of channels available for wireless connectivity. I didn't think this would be a problem for me so I've gone ahead an upgraded the firmware. After upgrade, reset router (reset button for 30 seconds) and logged in. Set it up for wireless, plus my encryption settings.

Tested the files I was having problems with and they download perfectly.
So the upgrade has done the trick!
Old 04-06-2008, 15:56   #4
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

Do not us the US firmware on a UK router

If your going to flash it try the DD-WRT firmware instead
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 16:12   #5
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked_and_Crazy View Post
Doesn't work with some of the newer versions of the router unfortunately!
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 17:31   #6
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
Doesn't work with some of the newer versions of the router unfortunately!
I dont believe that to be true

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php...RT54G/GL/GS/GX

The OP has V1.1 of a GS so not an issue anyway
Old 04-06-2008, 17:43   #7
Graham M
-

Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars

Oh well it was when I looked might try this then, just don't want to brick it
Old 04-06-2008, 17:49   #8
Nikesh
Inactive

Nikesh has reached the bronze age
Nikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by abailey152 View Post
<Snip>
Glad you got it sorted.
Nikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 22:25   #9
abailey152
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked_and_Crazy View Post
Do not us the US firmware on a UK router

Too late! I've already done it, and it *seems* okay. The only difference to look at is there are 11 wireless channels instead of 13 but my wireless laptop is still working okay.

I did look at the DD-WRT firmware. There is a note on the site to use VINT (vintage) firmware with my router, but then under v1.1 there's loads of options, and under VINT there's more. Looks very confusing!

Thanks anyway, it may be an option in the future.

---------- Post added at 22:25 ---------- Previous post was at 22:24 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikesh View Post
Glad you got it sorted.
Cheers!
Old 04-06-2008, 22:59   #10
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by abailey152 View Post
Too late! I've already done it, and it *seems* okay. The only difference to look at is there are 11 wireless channels instead of 13 but my wireless laptop is still working okay.

I ran the US firmware on mine once, wasn't very reliable
Old 04-06-2008, 23:55   #11
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Some of the third party firmwares for the earlier version WRT54GS routers are more full featured and tweakable than the standard Linksys ones. In particular Linksys firmware did have issues with torrents overwhelming them which DD-WRT and Tomato can be configured to avoid.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:40   #12
abailey152
Inactive

Just tried uTorrent and it looks okay, for what little I download anyway.

I think I've found the correct DD-WRT firmware for my router, but I'm going to wait and see, as the US Linksys firmware seems stable and it has cured my problem.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:26   #13
Graham M
-

I thought the only difference with the US firmware was the available wireless channels?