Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Premiership reveals results of first-round footy rights bidding

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Premiership reveals results of first-round footy rights bidding

Old 28-04-2006, 11:00   #1
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Premiership reveals results of first-round footy rights bidding

Sky will only get three of the six football packages up for sale by the Premiership:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4953846.stm

There will now be a second round of bidding for the other three packages, with Setanta, NTL, BT and ITV tipped to take part.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-04-2006, 11:03   #2
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star
Re: $ky only gets half of the football next season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T
Sky will only get three of the six football packages up for sale by the Premiership: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4953846.stm There will now be a second round of bidding for the other three packages, with Setanta, NTL, BT and ITV tipped to take part.
And finally the monopoly is over, i used to get a little sick of most of the footie being on Sky... Actually, i have no reason to complain now anyway, not even got sky.

Woops.
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2006, 11:11   #3
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Errrr. Sky can have up to 5 of the 6 packages. They can bid for them in the next round.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2006, 11:16   #4
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze

Chances are that Sky will get 5 and Setanta the other one. Which is great for the consumer as its means more money on subscriptions. Thanks European Commision.

---------- Post added at 11:16 ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 ----------

Also it's not next season, its the season after.
gazzae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2006, 11:19   #5
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Premiership reveals results of first-round footy rights bidding

ok already ... thread title edited.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2006, 11:32   #6
sir_drinks_alot
Inactive

Services: WNYC
sir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze age
sir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze age
Exclamation Re: Premiership reveals results of first-round footy rights bidding

I for one i'm happy sky got the right indeed i hope thay get more. thay have been nothing but good for football in this Country.
sir_drinks_alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2006, 12:19   #7
Mal
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star

On one hand it gets rid of the monopoly, but then it possibly means another channel to subscribe to...more cost...
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2006, 12:34   #8
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_drinks_alot
I for one i'm happy sky got the right indeed i hope thay get more. thay have been nothing but good for football in this Country.
So true. It is good quality on Sky. The commentry and anaysis is good compared to ITV which I think is pretty poor on all fronts. Although I like the BBC.

BBC and Sky should get the rights.

Sky do cool montages to music at the end of the match (or at least they did) which is always cool. Are they still there
Old 28-04-2006, 12:37   #9
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze

Quote:
So true. Champions league on ITV is pitiful. Commentators who can't pronounce the names of players. Five is woeful first John "Autocue" Barnes and now Colin Murray. BBC is a bit better but still poor. Sample analysis on BBC after a player has blasted the ball over the stand - "He'll be disappointed with that."
Old 28-04-2006, 12:45   #10
homealone

Quote:
I don't agree, in my opinion the gulf between the Premiership & the lower divisions is now far too great, the top clubs field too many foreign players and the pressure to win at all cost means players spend more time cheating & diving, than playing the ball.
Old 28-04-2006, 12:47   #11
skyblueheroes
Inactive

Services: Sky+ & Pipex 8mb ADSL
skyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appeal
skyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to skyblueheroes

Sorry but Sky have dragged up football by its collar from the state it was in during the 80's. From 92 when they started the contract its become a glamarous and exciting sport to watch which is awash with money and investment.

However, I do feel that the money is aimed too much at the Premiership and not enough of it is filtered down to the lower leagues.
skyblueheroes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2006, 12:53   #12
gazzae
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone
I don't agree, in my opinion the gulf between the Premiership & the lower divisions is now far too great, the top clubs field too many foreign players and the pressure to win at all cost means players spend more time cheating & diving, than playing the ball.
Wigan and West Ham are 9th and 10th, OK Sunderland are pretty crap, but they didn't spend any money.

Cheating and diving happens in every league, even amateur.

---------- Post added at 12:53 ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblueheroes
However, I do feel that the money is aimed too much at the Premiership and not enough of it is filtered down to the lower leagues.
I agree, but that is not Sky's fault. The blame for that lies solely at the FA's lack of Balls.
Old 28-04-2006, 12:57   #13
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzae

I agree, but that is not Sky's fault. The blame for that lies solely at the FA's lack of Balls.
AHEM
Old 28-04-2006, 13:00   #14
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

But the money in the english game is why we can get a lot of the players and managers from europe. Which has given a very nice free flowling type of football in the higher leagues
Old 28-04-2006, 13:01   #15
gazzae
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf
AHEM