Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media 70, 150 & 200 Mb Upgrades

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media 70, 150 & 200 Mb Upgrades

Old 02-09-2015, 14:42   #181
Hans Gruber
cf.addict

Services: VM XL TV, Phone, 100mbit Internet.
Hans Gruber will become famous soon enoughHans Gruber will become famous soon enoughHans Gruber will become famous soon enough
re: Virgin Media 70, 100 & 200 Mb Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhReally View Post
Then I cancelled the TV, downgraded to 50 and saved 24/month...connection is still rubbish.

Which I expected, it's still the same cable coming from the same cab after all.
I'm a little confused why you haven't asked them to fix the fault.
Hans Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2015, 14:53   #182
OhReally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Gruber View Post
I'm a little confused why you haven't asked them to fix the fault.
Because VM told me there wasn't one?
Old 02-09-2015, 14:55   #183
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
I would be quite happy to pay more for a 30/30 connection that actually delivered 24/7 rock solid than some theoretical 300+/whatever ludicrously low figure they happen to apply.
Problem is, most people are not like you.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 14:56   #184
Hans Gruber
cf.addict

Services: VM XL TV, Phone, 100mbit Internet.
Hans Gruber will become famous soon enoughHans Gruber will become famous soon enoughHans Gruber will become famous soon enough

Well it's your money, I guess.
Hans Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 14:58   #185
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Perhaps they think the PEBKAC
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 15:12   #186
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
What was their reasoning for your slow speeds, then? There's obviously an issue, Virgin saying the fault isn't with them doesn't mean they can't help you determine where it is. Have you done a wired speed test?
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 16:31   #187
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

If there was no fault showing on the system they would have offered to have an engineer come out and look.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 16:43   #188
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
If there was no fault showing on the system they would have offered to have an engineer come out and look.
That's not true. They only send an engineer out when they've identified the fault. The engineer can't do anything unless he has a fault.

However, they would go through diagnostics to determine the actual cause of the issue - which it doesn't sound like has been done.
Old 02-09-2015, 17:39   #189
MUD_Wizard
Inactive

MUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
When I spoke to VM this morning the lady ran some sort of check and said that everything looks ok.
Did you try connecting your computer directly to the Superhub via ethernet cable and testing like that?

---------- Post added at 17:39 ---------- Previous post was at 17:24 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Theoretical bandwidth of what, about 1.2Gbit? Yum!
1.334 Gbit before overheads, with a full downstream channel set.
MUD_Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 19:45   #190
MagicUK
Inactive

MagicUK is on a distinguished roadMagicUK is on a distinguished road

This new hardware trial, any change its 24 channel down hardware? I looked at liberty group and unless I read wrong info 16 down is the max channel hardware there using across the globe?
MagicUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 20:06   #191
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicUK View Post
This new hardware trial, any change its 24 channel down hardware? I looked at liberty group and unless I read wrong info 16 down is the max channel hardware there using across the globe?
Sure on that?

UPC Romania provide the Hitron CGNv4.

A couple of others provide 24 downstream kit too. UPC Cablecom sell 500Mb via their Horizon STB.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 00:28   #192
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roph View Post
BT, sky etc really need to start advertising their better upload speeds. Even with a pointless 300mbits from virgin, it looks like a BT Infinity user will still have better upload speeds.
Going by the trials in Cardiff that may not be the case. At least, not in all areas.

Max Traffic Rate 337920000 bps
Max Traffic Burst 42600 bytes

Max Traffic Rate 21504000 bps
Max Traffic Burst 16320 bytes

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

FTTC Infinity delivers at most 19Mb of usable upload in my experience. The Virgin product will deliver slightly over 20.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:06   #193
OhReally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
What was their reasoning for your slow speeds, then? There's obviously an issue, Virgin saying the fault isn't with them doesn't mean they can't help you determine where it is. Have you done a wired speed test?
Wasn't asked to do that, but the comparison I gave earlier is valid, wireless to the sh-2 versus wireless to the Galaxy S5.

The phone is 6x faster.

I don't know enough to tell them they must be wrong

---------- Post added at 01:04 ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Perhaps they think the PEBKAC
Had to look that one up. Ho Ho

So anyway, sorry for hijacking the thread, getting back to topic (sort of) my original original point was it's a bit pointless announcing another round of speed upgrades when the last set announced what, nigh on 2 years ago, STILL hasn't been fully rolled out as my earlier screen cap showed.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:52   #194
Kushan

Quote:
Wasn't asked to do that, but the comparison I gave earlier is valid, wireless to the sh-2 versus wireless to the Galaxy S5.

The phone is 6x faster.
That's actually not a valid comparison, though. Wireless is such a wildcard that it's nearly impossible to make any conclusions from that test. There's a lot you can do to tweak and configure your wireless in order to improve speeds, however what people are getting at is that it's pointless to do so until you're sure that wireless is a problem.

Plug an ethernet cable into your shub and temporarily disable wireless (push the button on the front of the hub if you need), then do a speed test. If you get full speed, wireless is the problem and we can do something about that. If you're still seeing your slow speeds, you've got something to tell Virgin who can take a more thorough look.

There's no point in suffering with a shoddy service. Spending 20mins doing proper diagnostics can likely resolve your issue and give you full speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Going by the trials in Cardiff that may not be the case. At least, not in all areas.

Max Traffic Rate 337920000 bps
Max Traffic Burst 42600 bytes

Max Traffic Rate 21504000 bps
Max Traffic Burst 16320 bytes

FTTC Infinity delivers at most 19Mb of usable upload in my experience. The Virgin product will deliver slightly over 20.
Yeah but for how long before it gets STM'd? :P
Old 03-09-2015, 08:56   #195
adduxi
cf.addict

adduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
<snip>
If I'm reading my config correctly on BT Infinity, the 19Mb is a capped figure.
The upload attainable rate on my line is 29.9Mb, but the set rate is 20Mb.
adduxi is offline   Reply With Quote