Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Closing Albert Dock

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Closing Albert Dock
Closed Thread

Old 27-11-2011, 12:07   #106
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Re: Virgin Media Closing Albert Dock

Siiiighhhhh!
Old 27-11-2011, 12:31   #107
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
Strange the way every post reads that way, shows how little you remember of your prior postings.

The fact is people are being made redundant and no one in their right mind would carry on the way you have about why we should be moving to Swansea, if the company wanted us that badly they would relocate locally.

In reality those jobs are not for us and we realise that as fact.
I repeat, nobody has ever said that moving to Swansea was compulsory.

Please see my statement further on.

---------- Post added at 12:25 ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Just for information, those noises you can hear are the goalposts being moved.....
Nonsense, but please do see my statement below.

---------- Post added at 12:27 ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 ----------

Quote:
Not a single person is being offered alternative employment in Swansea that is fact!! no ifs or buts, as we are being made REDUNDANT!!!!!

As for any jobs in Swansea on offer anyone interested has to apply for them and go through the application process the same as any other applicant because it is classed as another employer, the same would also apply to moving to Wythenshawe or any other office within the UK.

I know it is hard especially with you continually posting inaccurate and untrue statements but try to remove your head from your rear extremity.
I do realise that this is an upsetting time for you, but please do try your best to refrain from making puerile outbursts, as this detracts from any point that you wish to make.

---------- Post added at 12:30 ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
I think we had all better calm down before we say something we later regret because of someone's big frack hammer.
Thank you for being professional and urging people to remain calm at this unsettling time.

---------- Post added at 12:31 ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 ----------

Quote:
That is calm just ensuring he can actually see it outside of his blinkers, and Sirius has him bang to rights above.
Not calm enough, you need to be strong and direct your energies in a more positive fashion at a time like this.
Old 27-11-2011, 12:46   #108
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

Thank you for being professional and urging people to remain calm at this unsettling time.
You'd be wise to take note of that too.

---------- Post added at 13:46 ---------- Previous post was at 13:33 ----------

Quote:

Not calm enough, you need to be strong and direct your energies in a more positive fashion at a time like this.
You might be aware of this, I don't know. But comments like that along with your tone in this thread come across as VERY patronising.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 27-11-2011, 12:47   #109
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I repeat, nobody has ever said that moving to Swansea was compulsory.

Please see my statement further on.

---------- Post added at 12:25 ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 ----------

Nonsense, but please do see my statement below.

---------- Post added at 12:27 ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 ----------

I do realise that this is an upsetting time for you, but please do try your best to refrain from making puerile outbursts, as this detracts from any point that you wish to make.

---------- Post added at 12:30 ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 ----------

---------- Post added at 12:31 ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 ----------

Richard, I hope you aren't deliberatley trying to wind "at risk" staff up, just for your own amusement. It's certainley starting to look that way
Old 27-11-2011, 12:52   #110
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
I am sure that nearly everyone reading this thread is well aware of the position you and your colleagues at Albert Dock find yourselves in and I think that, in the main, we all realise that the very few of you will be in a position to apply for a job at Swansea let alone be offered a position if you did so.

I do think Richard has quoted a lot of the benefit regulations accurately but the problem with his posts is that he has failed to grasp that something that can be quoted as a fact is only of use if it is also relevant. I would be interested to hear what relevant experience Richard has regarding his having had to cope with redundancy and what advise he could give to the people who are actually the subject of this thread as apposed to the 'on your bike, no benefits for you!' attitude he has shown so far.
I posted the benefit regulations to correct some irregularities of an earlier post and because, unfortunately, they may be pertinent to some VM staff in the future.

My advice would be to keep calm, don't act like a wronged child as one poster appears to be doing, accept all the help available from VM. The DWP are also available for help, through their network of Jobcentre+ offices. Their advice is free and confidential.

I do think that it is reasonable for people to move to where work is available in some circumstances. As well as the cost to the taxpayer, there is also the social/human cost. I have been to communities where the majority of people are unemployed. They are like war torn countries, blighted by crime, drugs and social disorder.

People often focus on the cost of the unemployed, or the fact that working people resent them for their perceived idleness, but it is a much larger picture than that.

I am particularly concerned about young people leaving education and going straight onto JSA. They get used to the lifestyle and many drift into crime and drugs or waste their lives. Their is a lot of truth to the saying "the devil finds work for idle hands".

Their are some families where the grandparents, children and grandchildren have never worked. Once a family lose the work ethic, it is very difficult to get it back.

I am of the opinion that, because of the neglect shown in this area during previous recessions, that this has contributed to what we know view as the "chav" or "underclass" culture and all the problems that that entails.

Urgent measures are being considered to provide subsidies to employers to get our young people back into work for this very reason.
Old 27-11-2011, 12:54   #111
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:

My advice would be to keep calm, don't act like a wronged child as one poster appears to be doing, accept all the help available from VM. The DWP are also available for help, through their network of Jobcentre+ offices. Their advice is free and confidential.
And my advice would be to bare in mind that you are coming across as very patronising and condensing towards the VM staff involved.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 27-11-2011, 13:19   #112
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
It is just that he posts the regulations completely out of context with regards to people being made redundant as most of the rubbish he has posted has no bearing on people in a redundancy situation as the law expects the company to help with looking for a new position,which in reality is just lipservice, but no one has been offered a position in Swansea which he has completely failed to take in and any such opportunity would only come about after the person had been made redundant.

If the company had turned around and said everyone has to move to Swansea or you will be out of a job with no redundancy package, then the would be a major issue as that would be unreasonable and lead to legal action against the company.
Please see my statement below.

---------- Post added at 12:56 ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 ----------

Quote:
I know what he is doing as he did a similar action Digitalspy last year and then tried to report said member to the company, I am not posting anything that is sensitive information and I have zero intention of going to Swansea unless I am ever down that way on holiday but even then it would be the Gower Peninsula rather than Swansea, I already have a position lined up anyway.
Nonsense.

Statement Re: VM staff and eligibility to claim Jobseekers Allowance.

I was led to believe by post 66 that some members of staff would be "job matched". Unfortunately, many believe that I was provided with incorrect information.

I have spoken to contacts this morning at both VM and the DWP in order to clarify the situation.

The last thing staff need at this time is uncertainty or scaremongering due to misinformation.

I can now confirm that benefit sanctions will NOT be imposed on any member of the Albert Dock staff who face redundancy and fail to make attempts to secure a job in Swansea.

Additionally, there will be no penalties for those taking voluntary or involuntary redundancy.

All of the other usual regulations will need to be satisfied in order for benefit to be paid.

I trust that this now clarifies the position.

End of statement.

---------- Post added at 13:19 ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
Richard, I hope you aren't deliberatley trying to wind "at risk" staff up, just for your own amusement. It's certainley starting to look that way
Of course not, what would be the point of that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
You'd be wise to take note of that too.

---------- Post added at 13:46 ---------- Previous post was at 13:33 ----------

You might be aware of this, I don't know. But comments like that along with your tone in this thread come across as VERY patronising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
And my advice would be to bare in mind that you are coming across as very patronising and condensing towards the VM staff involved.
I am, and remain, very calm, it's the only way to deal with life changing events like this for the people involved.

Redundancy is not a pleasant time for anybody, including the management who have to break the sad news. I myself have had to be the bearer of bad news to valued members of our own staff who we have had to let go and yes, there were tears involved.

Let us all now move forward and appreciate the fact that there are many, many people worse off in the world and count our blessings
Old 27-11-2011, 13:38   #113
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:

I was led to believe by post 66 that some members of staff would be "job matched". Unfortunately, many believe that I was provided with incorrect information.

I have spoken to contacts this morning at both VM and the DWP in order to clarify the situation.

The last thing staff need at this time is uncertainty or scaremongering due to misinformation.

I can now confirm that benefit sanctions will NOT be imposed on any member of the Albert Dock staff who face redundancy and fail to make attempts to secure a job in Swansea.

Additionally, there will be no penalties for those taking voluntary or involuntary redundancy.

All of the other usual regulations will need to be satisfied in order for benefit to be paid.

End of statement.

We are quite aware of that fact and no one is being forced to go to Swansea against their will as it would be quite illegal, they are closing the centre for business reasons and they are helping staff look for positions locally and possibly with Adecco on another contract.

Anyone wanting to go to Swansea has to go through the recruitment process as the is no direct transfer of jobs to Swansea.
Old 27-11-2011, 17:37   #114
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
<snip>

The sanctimony is jaw-dropping.

So, to put it another way, you (finally) accept what several of us have been trying to tell you all along.

Well done.
Old 27-11-2011, 17:46   #115
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The sanctimony is jaw-dropping.

So, to put it another way, you (finally) accept what several of us have been trying to tell you all along.

Well done.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Old 27-11-2011, 17:59   #116
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Please see my statement below.

---------- Post added at 12:56 ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 ----------

Nonsense.

I was led to believe by post 66 that some members of staff would be "job matched". Unfortunately, many believe that I was provided with incorrect information.you appear to be confusing "Richard Coulter" with "many"

I have spoken to contacts this morning at both VM and the DWP in order to clarify the situation.on a Sunday morning? ooooooh, impressive (unless your contacts are a JobCentre clerk and a VM CSR, both of whom are your relatives.....)

The last thing staff need at this time is uncertainty or scaremongering due to misinformation.you may wish to stop doing it, then

I can now confirm that benefit sanctions will NOT be imposed on any member of the Albert Dock staff who face redundancy and fail to make attempts to secure a job in Swansea.imagine our gratitude for your confirmation of what we had been saying all along

Additionally, there will be no penalties for those taking voluntary or involuntary redundancy.Well, duh!

All of the other usual regulations will need to be satisfied in order for benefit to be paid. and today's prize winner for stating the bleeding obvious is............

I trust that this now clarifies the position.You were the only one who appeared to need the position clarified......

End of statement.

---------- Post added at 13:19 ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 ----------

Of course not, what would be the point of that

I am, and remain, very calm, it's the only way to deal with life changing events like this for the people involved.

Redundancy is not a pleasant time for anybody, including the management who have to break the sad news. I myself have had to be the bearer of bad news to valued members of our own staff who we have had to let go and yes, there were tears involved.

Let us all now move forward and appreciate the fact that there are many, many people worse off in the world and count our blessings
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 28-11-2011, 06:54   #117
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Excellent

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Old 28-11-2011, 12:29   #118
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

The confusion arose because Digital Fanatic posted erroneous information.

The position has now been officially clarified for the benefit of those who may need to make a claim for Jobseekers Allowance.

Moving forward, I forgot to mention yesterday that I was also informed that the Government had asked VM to have another think about this.

Whilst I don't wish to get anyones hopes up, this is surely good news.
Old 28-11-2011, 12:45   #119
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
The confusion arose because Digital Fanatic posted erroneous information.
And the confusion continued because RichardCoulter perpetuated it.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 28-11-2011, 12:56   #120
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
The position has now been officially clarified for the benefit of those who may need to make a claim for Jobseekers Allowance.
No it hasn't. You are not the DSS. Your postings on this forum do not constitute official clarification of anything.

All that has happened is that you have stopped arguing to the contrary. The rest of us already knew what you had to hear from your "contacts" ... whoever they in fact are.
Closed Thread