Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netgear Rant

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netgear Rant

Old 21-05-2009, 17:14   #1
GazCBG
cf.mega poster

Services: 350Mb (Hub 3) | TV: 2x TiVo on XL | Phone
GazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the rough
Angry Netgear Rant

Hi,

Just had to phone Netgear Support (offshore callcenter) about my router that I got with my 50mb connection as a problem has came back with the router (WNR2000), with it reboot itself for no reason, it has reboot itself 4 times in 2 hours so far.

Anyway they say it fault and I can have a replacement, next working business day for free and all that, so I said yes, gave them my address, he went off to get my RMA number, then came back said they wanted my credit card details and would not charge them, as it for security, so I gave them over. They then come back and say they invaild, when I know they are not

Anyway get put through to a supervise who say they can't give me a replacement without vaild card details, I say they are etc... as there computer would not proceed, and he said I can't help you so I said put me through to level 2 support, they say they are thought not sure if they are, and I say bye . Was on the phone for about 45 minutes, for nothing.

Then I remember I had an email from Netgear Level 2 support, I find that and email Pat who it came from, within 15 minutes I had a RMA number and a reply say they coming Tuesday to do the swap over, as it gone the cut off point (3pm)to send out for new day.

So now I gone an cancelled my credit card just incase, as I don't think they should of asked for my card details, as Pat never needed them.

Oh, thanks to Pat for sorting the problem.

Rant over.
GazCBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-05-2009, 18:21   #2
Argy1
Inactive

Argy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Netgear Rant

well done for getting another one sent out, don't expect too much though, biggest
piece of crap I've ever had the misfortune to set up,only had it up and running for a
couple of hours before I reverted to my old router, then bought myself a Dlink DIR-655
that is a decent router
Argy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 19:15   #3
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

as a rule netgear routers are v good i have a wndr3300 and no probs at all i think part of the problem is that the wnr2000 is a free router supplied with a specific package common sense should tell you that it ain't gonna be anything special

GarryP...i think you were right to cancell your card as there is no way they should need your card details
Old 21-05-2009, 19:30   #4
GazCBG
cf.mega poster

GazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argy1 View Post
well done for getting another one sent out, don't expect too much though, biggest
piece of crap I've ever had the misfortune to set up,only had it up and running for a
couple of hours before I reverted to my old router, then bought myself a Dlink DIR-655
that is a decent router
As soon as I can afford to get another N router I will, I still have my old Linksys wireless G, that does 50mb wired, so may change over to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
GarryP...i think you were right to cancell your card as there is no way they should need your card details
Yer, that what I thought after the call, there wasn't much on it, but that not the point really.
Old 21-05-2009, 20:26   #5
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

GarryP if you want a recommend for a wireless n i realy could not speak more highly for the netgear wndr 3300
at the moment mine is running 2 g laptops and 1 N pc plus 2 nas drives with no problems at all before i got that i had a belkin n1 vision which i had loads of problems with
Old 21-05-2009, 21:23   #6
slowcoach
Inactive

Services: VM Phone 152 Meg.
slowcoach has reached the bronze age
slowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze age

Google is your friend, "wndr3300 problems"
slowcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 21:43   #7
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcoach View Post
Google is your friend, "wndr3300 problems"
i don't doubt that some people will have problems but don't forget a lot of the time the problems are caused by the pc/laptop or user
no problems with me though
Old 26-05-2009, 14:23   #8
GazCBG
cf.mega poster

Got the new router around noon.
Connected up and it seems, updated the fireware and it currently fine.
Old 21-06-2009, 19:32   #9
GazCBG
cf.mega poster

It started rebooting itself today (21st June 09) had it for 27 days now and it looks like it broken.
If it reboots again I am going to contact Netgear again, what joy that will be
Old 21-06-2009, 19:52   #10
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Gaz View Post
It started rebooting itself today (21st June 09) had it for 27 days now and it looks like it broken.
If it reboots again I am going to contact Netgear again, what joy that will be
it maybe that vm have something installed in the firmware that causes the probs ,and there does seem to be a few ,maybe some one in the know can enlighten you but generally netgear is one of the best
Old 21-06-2009, 19:54   #11
GazCBG
cf.mega poster

It's the standard Netgear firmware as it is the 50mb router and not VM firmware.
Also it running the lastest Netgear firmware.
The router has been changed once via Netgear 27 days ago.
Old 21-06-2009, 20:23   #12
WelshPaul
Inactive

Services: V+ XL TV, L BB and Phone M
WelshPaul is on a distinguished roadWelshPaul is on a distinguished road

I have a WNR2000 which i got for £40 odd from argos, great router no problems here although mine runs stock netgear firmware.

Must be the vm firmware causing your issues.
WelshPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2009, 21:08   #13
GazCBG
cf.mega poster

The 50mb router:

DOES NOT use VM firmware. As my post above your say

DOES use standard Netgear firmware
Old 21-06-2009, 21:13   #14
WelshPaul
Inactive

Services: V+ XL TV, L BB and Phone M
WelshPaul is on a distinguished roadWelshPaul is on a distinguished road

Ummmm derrrr.... lol

OK well im stumped, my router still works great though!

Hardware Version WNR2000
Firmware Version V1.2.0.8
GUI Language Version: V1.1.5.4
WelshPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2009, 21:21   #15
GazCBG
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshPaul View Post
Hardware Version WNR2000
Firmware Version V1.2.0.8
GUI Language Version: V1.1.5.4
Same as my router and the one before that was returned.